How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rustica trapped in a 3-inch pot under shop lights
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:08 am 

Don, you have done a real nice job photographing and documenting progress of these plants!
Tnx! rc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 pm 

Thx Rusty!

Here's a 14 week update. Plants pretty much dying now, I've picked some of the bottom leaves, looks like I could pick more soon. Don't have enough leaves to bunch up and hang, so trying to cure them in paper bags figuring that might hold enough moisture for curing but not so much that mold will grow. Just experimenting really. The topped plant clearly has better leaf growth than the one I let go to seed.

Here's a close up on the seed pods, some starting to turn brown now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:47 pm 

15 week update. Need the space for my spring bedding plants soon. Seed pods seem to be ripening well, one has cracked open or been knocked open, showing tiny seeds inside. Second pic is of the leaves I've picked so far. Drying them in paper bags but that's too dry... some have gone brittle (sprayed them with water today) and some might be drying before they lose their green color. But that's better than I was expecting, given zero experience. My goal was to see how many weeks I'd want to grow them indoors for a decent transplant size, so any seeds or leaves are all bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:38 am 

March 21 now, so 17.5 weeks since seeding. I cut off these seed pods a couple weeks ago and have kept them since then in a paper bag to catch any seeds that fall out as well as to make sure the pods are fully ripe. Seem to have produced seed successfully, though I haven't yet tested it to see what percent germination I get.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 am 

Looks like they are doing a fine job trying to reproduce!

lol
Can you imagine, my 1st year, I grew 185 plants, and let them all go to seed, to assure I would have seed for the following year?

There's still a lot I don't know and probably won't ever! lol

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am 

With seed from 185 plants I bet you could have seeded the entire planet and still had lots leftover!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:06 pm 

Yah, I still got bags of that seed! lol
rc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:08 pm 

After yellowing the leaves I had issues with them getting really dry and crumbly, even with keeping them in paper bags and spraying them with water every week or two. Folks here said I needed more moisture so I've been spraying them more often, and yah, that works. So tonight I cut up a leaf that had been damaged when it was dry and crumbly and paired it with another leaf that hadn't been broken. Things have only been curing a month or two and I know this roll is really ghetto, but it's fun! I think I'll bring it along on a fishing trip tomorrow...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:01 am 

Just to finish this thread up, here's what happened since my last update. I did take that sketchy cigarillo with me the next day when I went ice-fishing, and fired it up. The draw wasn't easy but was acceptable. The cig. didn't stay lit between draws so had to be re-lit with a lighter each time I had a draw. Taste and harshness seemed okay at the time, but the aftertaste was a bit ugly for the next half hour or so.

But the big kicker/disappointment was ... zero buzz. I hadn't used any tobacco product for at least 5 years or more since I smoked this Rustica, and given the warnings about how strong Rustica can be, I was expecting a major, possibly even dangerous nicotine buzz. But nothing. Zero. Nada. I don't know the reason for this, maybe Rustica needs hot sunny outdoor conditions to produce nicotine?

Anyhow, I don't know the reason, but the nicotine content of the final product was extremely low. So I wouldn't grow this again indoors as a smokeable product, but it does seem a pretty good way to grow indoors pure seed strains.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:12 pm 

Well, Don, maybe you could contact that 'Insider' guy about how Big Tobacco changes tobacco cigarettes to make them an addictive nicotine delivery system and see what they do... Better living through chemistry! :-)

Perhaps you might get different results if grown outdoors in the dirt, and/or a different strain properly grown to maturity??

get a 2nd opinion!
rc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:42 am 

I have sympathy for a non rewarding grow. Some of the strains I grew in buckets outside were kick ass in the nicotine department. I agree with R.C. Do it right and the rewards are inevitable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:30 am 

Just to follow up a bit I did a blend of Red Leaf, Black mammoth, Virginia gold, And silver river. Tasted harsh and hard to smoke. Added a bit of Black sea samson and the smoke is sweet and is a nicotine rush.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 am 

Thanks for the feedback. After my indoor seed success but smoking failure, I didn't do much about securing an outdoor grow. In the end, I did plant a bunch of N. Alata (jasmine tobacco) in the front garden that are now blooming and providing some evening scent, though not as much I was expecting, ie, we only get rare whiffs through the open front windows. These are ornamental plants only.

In the veggie garden, I have two N. Sylvestris, which are now growing much bigger leaves than they produced indoors last winter. They are putting up flower buds but have not yet flowered. Also in the veggie garden I have two heirloom tobacco plants... Louisiana perique. The leaves on these aren't sticky like the leaves on the N. Sylvestris, and they are growing central stems now but do not have any signs of flowers buds yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:42 am 

Hi don!

You got some nice magic happening there! Beautiful plants, flowers and pictures!!

I'll be following your grows!

-MT