How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EarlyWinter '13 Indoor Glog. N. rustica 'Mohawk' and 'Kessu'
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:14 am 

I have a few seedlings of N. rustica growing indoors, of the two varieties (Mohawk and Kessu) I have tried, Mohawk seems the weakest (least vigor) of the two. I have 'Kessu growing out for the moment in a 4"X4" (10.2 cm X 10.2 cm with a soil depth of 3"-3.5" (7.6 cm-8.9 cm), I left a few seedlings in the pot because, I can have problems with fungus gnats at times, like now. The 4" pot has some (ie, a little osmocote) in it, mixed with finely shredded peat moss, Vermiculite, Perlite, (Miracle grow Moisture Control?), and Spagnum peat.

The soil is heated from 75ºF to ~80ºF (23 C to ~27 C) and regulated with a soil probe. Night-time ambient temps seem to be 68ºF-72ºF (20 C to 22 C), with day-time ambient temps at about 75ºF-80ºF (23 C to ~27 C) . For air circulation, I run an air purifier (True HEPA), a small oscillating fan, and a box fan as my room is large and getting better airflow should be good. For humidity I uses a Vick's Coolmist humidifier, and use the fans to evenly distribute the humidity.

To measure Temp, I use my soil temp probe from the prop mat, and Indoor/Outdoor Therm.

For Humidity, I currently have not found a reliable, accurate, and economical Hygrometer, one with Max/Min would be nice

The lights that I am currently using are 2X 85 watt CFLs (5000K) [One one Clamp/Gooseneck lamp, One on Light Stand),
2X 42 Watt CFls (2700K) [One Clamp, one Light Stand],
a 250 watt infrared bulb (Heat bulb) to help increase temp [Clamp on top of Lamp stand],
and a 'Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar LED Flowering 100 Watt (UFO style in closet set up, ~18-19" away from plants, 2Watt Diodes).

Another sickly 'Kessu', in a 3" diameter, 6 Oz clear cup (~170 ml), with a finer potting soil, mostly sand, sifted Spaghnum Peat, and Vermiculite. It is in closet, may be sickly from too much light, over/under fertilizing, Fungus gnats, or other pests/diseases.

'Mohawk', small, about the size of a dime or penny in height and spread, unsure of vigor, but fungus gnats are everywhere

This week, last week, or two weeks ago, I applied a weak (20-20-20) fertilizer sol'n to all, just a few pumps from a spray bottle. Still using the spray bottle for watering.
I applied some diatomaeceous earth, around all of my seedlings, as well as Rock dust mix (50:50 Azomite [Micronized] and Glacial Rock dust). The Chemical fertilizer I have been using is a 20-20-20 Jack's Classic All-purpose plant food, at 1/8th teaspoon per liter, I use a small scale for more accurate fertilizer dosage instead of the scoop.

Should I be adding another source of nutrition,or Nitrogen, like cold coffee, and small amounts of coffee/tea grounds?

I find it hard to buy, online or at a store, higher Nitrogen fertilizers, or 'pure' Nitrogen fertilizers, than it is to buy a balanced or blooming blend ( Which are everywhere).

Also, has anyone had any experience using PGRs? like kinetin, Gibberelic acid/Gibberelin, ethylene gas?

I know they may effect alkaloid yield (beta-carbolines, MAOIs (Harmine), and Nicotine Content, but if you were breeding and wanted to produce a lot of seeds from the parent, you might be able to apply Kinetin with rooting hormones to produce more flowers, or Gibberelin to increase height before leaves mature. Other PGRs might have beneficial effects on flower/seed production, or induction of leaf ripening like Ethylene gas?

Post subject: Re: EarlyWinter '13 Indoor Glog. N. rustica 'Mohawk' and 'Kessu'
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 am 

hi
I will give my thoughts on this . Hope it helps

I have a few seedlings of N. rustica growing indoors, of the two varieties (Mohawk and Kessu) I have tried, Mohawk seems the weakest (least vigor) of the two. I have 'Kessu growing out for the moment in a 4"X4" (10.2 cm X 10.2 cm with a soil depth of 3"-3.5" (7.6 cm-8.9 cm), I left a few seedlings in the pot because, I can have problems with fungus gnats at times, like now. The 4" pot has some (ie, a little osmocote) in it, mixed with finely shredded peat moss, Vermiculite, Perlite, (Miracle grow Moisture Control?), and Spagnum peat.

eleminate the osmocote ,too early for fertilizers. peat moss, vermiculite or( perlite, Don'tneed both), and compost is all need at this point

The soil is heated from 75ºF to ~80ºF (23 C to ~27 C) and regulated with a soil probe. Night-time ambient temps seem to be 68ºF-72ºF (20 C to 22 C), with day-time ambient temps at about 75ºF-80ºF (23 C to ~27 C) . For air circulation, I run an air purifier (True HEPA), a small oscillating fan, and a box fan as my room is large and getting better airflow should be good. For humidity I uses a Vick's Coolmist humidifier, and use the fans to evenly distribute the humidity.

Don't need to worry about humidity while growing just when processing.

To measure Temp, I use my soil temp probe from the prop mat, and Indoor/Outdoor Therm.

For Humidity, I currently have not found a reliable, accurate, and economical Hygrometer, one with Max/Min would be nice

Don't need it for growing

The lights that I am currently using are 2X 85 watt CFLs (5000K) [One one Clamp/Gooseneck lamp, One on Light Stand),
2X 42 Watt CFls (2700K) [One Clamp, one Light Stand],
a 250 watt infrared bulb (Heat bulb) to help increase temp [Clamp on top of Lamp stand],
and a 'Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar LED Flowering 100 Watt (UFO style in closet set up, ~18-19" away from plants, 2Watt Diodes).

wow lots of light

Another sickly 'Kessu', in a 3" diameter, 6 Oz clear cup (~170 ml), with a finer potting soil, mostly sand, sifted Spaghnum Peat, and Vermiculite. It is in closet, may be sickly from too much light, over/under fertilizing, Fungus gnats, or other pests/diseases.

right to much fertilizers. a little compost would be better. fungus Gnats? sprinkle ground with ground cinimon.

'Mohawk', small, about the size of a dime or penny in height and spread, unsure of vigor, but fungus gnats are everywhere

fungus gnats sprinkle ground with cinnimon fungus on ground mix listerine with dawn soap and water diluted good and spray ground kills the fungus.

This week, last week, or two weeks ago, I applied a weak (20-20-20) fertilizer sol'n to all, just a few pumps from a spray bottle. Still using the spray bottle for watering.

over fertilizing
I applied some diatomaeceous earth, around all of my seedlings, as well as Rock dust mix (50:50 Azomite [Micronized] and Glacial Rock dust). The Chemical fertilizer I have been using is a 20-20-20 Jack's Classic All-purpose plant food, at 1/8th teaspoon per liter, I use a small scale for more accurate fertilizer dosage instead of the scoop.
over fertilizing

Should I be adding another source of nutrition,or Nitrogen, like cold coffee, and small amounts of coffee/tea grounds?

not yet.let them grow.

I find it hard to buy, online or at a store, higher Nitrogen fertilizers, or 'pure' Nitrogen fertilizers, than it is to buy a balanced or blooming blend ( Which are everywhere).

not needed

Also, has anyone had any experience using PGRs? like kinetin, Gibberelic acid/Gibberelin, ethylene gas?

Why do you want to stunt growth? trying to grow a smaller tobacco? they are yours let them grow.

I know they may effect alkaloid yield (beta-carbolines, MAOIs (Harmine), and Nicotine Content, but if you were breeding and wanted to produce a lot of seeds from the parent, you might be able to apply Kinetin with rooting hormones to produce more flowers, or Gibberelin to increase height before leaves mature. Other PGRs might have beneficial effects on flower/seed production, or induction of leaf ripening like Ethylene gas?

let them grow you will be amazed at number of seeds from one plant.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3321&hilit=number+of+seeds+in+pod

sounds like you trying to hard, take it easy, have fun , don't worry plenty of time for that later. Lee

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3321&hilit=number+of+seeds+in+pod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:55 am 

Wow!
That really sounds like a fantastic science project, Fran!!!

Just as Lee said, seeds won't be a problem...

Are you gonna post any pics for us?
We like pics!
:-)
rc

I never saw mohawk and kesu before...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 am 

will post pics. having trouble remembering where the How to was on the forum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 am 

there may be other ways to do it,
but I shrink my camera pics with a freebie utility called fotosizer and make them 900 x 800.
Then I load them to the photo gallery.
(this is good for me because it helps me keep a log of my grow, all in one place)
Then... I copy the url when looking at the pic in the gallery and insert it using img button in my post.
I think many other people use photobucket or picasa or other image hosting sites.
Far as I can tell, this site is not set up for direct posting from your pc...
Hope that helps... there's a how to stickie posted, also.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 pm 

I am having much trouble actually posting the pics, but I figured it out. Okay, here's the first one, earlier today after I neemed it in the morning. With 85W CFl

Again, after it dried. Without 85W CFL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:33 pm 

Okay, here's the Kessu on the left, and a poorly Mohawk. All of the Kessu's were started on the 16th of Oct. The Mohawk was started on the 18th. That's a 14-16" diameter container, self-watering, but the only one that large

and This is the closet set up.

I took some germinating plants out of it and a coffee seedling.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 pm 

Sounds like over kill a bit. .all I use on mine when they're that little id worm juice. .it works well..and can also deter some insects and fungal infections..Black spot. .rust..etc..natural product that plants seem to respond to well....heaps of minerals and trace elements..the stuff I use is bought. .real clean and clear...so can be sprayed on for foliage fed as well...
The more you look at them they won't grow.lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 am 

I have fungus gnats, so that's why I neemed, to kill/ disrupt the larvae and prevent other bugs, etc from coming in and killing everything.

It's the only thing I can think of that won't poison me or the plants, as they're in my bedroom.

The mix is Dyna-Gro Neem mixed with red pepper, ivory liquid soap (the good kind for killing bugs), some Aloe juice ( just wanted to see if it would do anything), Crushed cloves, and a spoonful of canola oil. I mixed it all in a gallon of well water; Not sure how hard the water actually is, but after the aeration bubbles settled, I got a reading of 145-150 ppm on my TDS meter.

The diluted ferts I gave them seem too balanced to me; so next week or so, I am thinking about mixing a weighed 1/6 or 1/8th teaspoon of my 20-20-20 Jack's Classic into a liter spray bottle, but adding some coffee for the PGRs (fulvic and humic acid) and for the Nitrogen, or adding a single nutrient source of water soluble Nitrogen. [The 1/6th to 1/8th of a teaspoon, is my guesstimate for the "whenever you water, directions, which call for 1/2th of a teaspoon per gallon]

However, I don't know of any single nutrient sources of water soluble Nitrogen/ Nitrates, that don't have other nutrients thrown in (ie Mgro "All purpose") or aren't regulated like explosives or Class II drugs, Like Ammonium Nitrate.

Any suggestions for Nitrogen Sources? It'd be nice to know, so that I can dial it in for the tobacco, and my vegs.

P.S. The rock dust and Diatomaceous earth were just added as an experiment to see if they would help growth and deter fungus gnats.

Last edited by Franglish9265 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 am 

As for the lights, It won't be close to over kill once the plants size up.

Last winter, I planted an Amish Paste ( It turned out the heirloom seed suppliers goofed and gave me a speckled Roman Paste/Plum/Roma tomato) in January. To see if I could get it to fruit. It only grew to 10-13" tall, and was spindly, and that was with a 42 W CFL (6000-6500 °K) in addition to the Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar "100" W UFO. The reason "100" is in quotes, is because that's the "Theoretical" light output, actual output is something like 50-55 W, but It works great for adding Reds, Oranges, Blues, UV, IR to the plant, as apposed to the old system of mixing "Cool and Warm" CFLs together.

The Heat bulb I'm using is only to raise the temp for the plants up for a few minutes a few times (3 to 4X) a day, ie whenever I'm watching my plants, because even though I have a ceramic Med-Med extender, I still worry about it catching fire or falling and killing the plants.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 am 

hi
Sorry I thought you read my post. read again . red letters fungus gnats. ground Cinnamon . Or google fungus gnats will find one about fungus gnats and ground cinnamon. Lee

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=12955

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:45 am 

I read it, but wouldn't that rot, then give them(fungus gnat larvae) more food, then more fungus gnats, more larvae?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 pm 

Kessu in 4" pot is doing better, 1.5-2" tall, I am rotating the pot so it does not train in a particular direction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

Closet

Mohawk

Closet Kessu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

Kessu Update

plant is 2-3" tall and 4-5" across.