How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to cure Aztec Rustica??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 pm 

I've been successfully drying my Virginia in a small poly greenhouse in a gravel-floored barn for the past few weeks. Have been regulating humidity and temp the best I can to around 60% RH and 70-90 degrees, seems to be working pretty good. I decided to stalk-hang a couple Aztec Rustica plants that looked like they were ready to go, and after two weeks they are drying nice and slow but they're turning a dark green color instead of yellowing and browning. Better to prime individual leaves? Even some of the Virginia leaves I've hung that were not quite ready are yellowing/browning perfectly. Would greatly appreciate some help if anyone out there has experience with Rustica. Side note: Have been color curing everything in my truck and It's been turning out awesome! My co-workers think they're bumming American Spirits from me...

Post subject: Re: How to cure Aztec Rustica??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm 

The only N. rustica that I've grown is Sacred Cornplanter. I found it very slow to color-cure--many weeks to months. When finally done, the leaves were a dull gray-brown. Even after kilning for a month, they have a grassy, not very pleasant taste. The nicotine was moderate.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 pm 

Thanks. I've heard mixed reviews on taste, but planning on mixing it with my Burley and Virginia just because there's so much of it. Did you hang the stalks or prime the leaves? Mine have been flowering heavily for over a month but I'm still hesitant to harvest I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 am 

I primed individual leaves of Sacred Cornplanter at the mature stage, rather than waiting for it to fully ripen. I'm not at all certain that this was a wise choice. Stalk-curing may allow the leaf to live a bit longer, and clear out more of the objectionable proteins and carbs.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:59 pm 

On my N. rustica 'Kessu', I've found that it's easier to prime and cure leaves when they become slightly yellow, or when there's a slight browning coming from the tips. Pile curing 5-10 leaves at a time helps if you have to pick leaves that are green. I haven't tried air curing rustica leaves yet, and flue curing seems like it wouldn't work well with them.