How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grow Lights Under $100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

Hi Folks,
There was a lot of good stuff on other posts relating to my subject but I'd really like someone to just give me an exact model or something they prefer.

I'm looking for something I can use to grow probably 1 plant to full size indoors AND that I can use to start seedlings before putting them outside.

My Price range is $100. I'm also not sure If I'll need a ballast, but if I do Im gonna have to include the light and ballast in that price range :(

Oh and I'll be using a hydroponics system not that it really matters

Post subject: Re: Grow Lights Under $100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm 

While not as efficient as costlier models you should check state auctions for schools getting rid of their gym lights. I bought several 400watt for $5 a piece.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm 

Good idea. I checked public surplus and found 2X240w fluorescents w/ ballast for $30 ending in 5 hours. Then I saw it was in AZ and I'm in CT. Damn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

Hi
I Haven't tried to grow complete plant indoors for long time. But I use a $8.50 clamp on fixture from Home depot with a 100 watt /23 actual watt CFL bulb to start plants . I use this on tomattos too. When tobacco gets bigger i move it out doors in pots. When tomattos get larger I add another clamp on w/ bulb. and tomatto cage and grow on car port year around. I screened in carport so no bugs, I have to watch plants cause they grow to light fast couple days. I try to keep light about 5 inches away. when plants get to be about a foot tall is when I add second light. when they get two feet tall I add 3rd light . after that I just trim/prune plant to keep size down. I guess with tobacco you could just keep adding lights ever couple feet. I use a $10 timer from wallyworld . 12 on 12 off same as day light hours or close to it.
Fairly cheep Lee
ps one timer works lots of lights and quite a few buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm 

For my indoor project I have been using T12 fluorescent fixtures bought from lowes for 12 bucks. they have a ballast already installed and a plug wired. For the full spectrum light that tobacco needs you can spend 20 bucks a bulb for full spectrum or for a cheaper cost you can buy a warm spectrum and a cool spectrum bulb for each fixture. Those will run you about 10 bucks a piece.