How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first grow indoors, on the cheap (lots of pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 am 

A few years ago I strongly considered growing tobacco, I had asked a friend who owns a farm if I could use some of his land to grow a few plants and got the ok on it...sadly this never came to be as time passed and I never got round to doing it.
HOWEVER the story doesn't end there (that'd be a boring and sad story)
Instead...

Roughly 2 months ago It was decided that I was going to make a go of it and to make it possible for the time of year, it would be done inside.

I decided to write this all up, not only as a this is how I grew tobacco indoors but also as a how I did it for under £70, so lets get started.

Firstly I brought 400 seeds, and not knowing the germination %, put in around 300 in a small tray.
I placed the tray in a large sandwich box and placed the lid on top to create a makeshift propagator.
This went terribly, nearly every one germinated and I was left with an hours work to separate them and thin them out.
I was left with this.

and this

32 Healthy plants and a load of compost.
However I also picked out a the best plant and put it inside a butter tub with another home-made propagator (2 Chinese takeaway dishes)

This would be my main plant and the other 32 would be backups (you can see my confidence in this going well).

Next came the grow space, Ebay was definitely my friend here.
£50ish later I was the owner of a CFL grow lamp, a small heater, thermometer and a timer (3 to be precise although I only needed 1)
Next I got reflective sheeting, then to B&Q for a thermostat and a vent cover.

Finally I picked my location - a small unused cupboard in my office room.
Some banging and tapping later this was what was left.

Notes:
* The fans are PC cooling fans, connected to an old laptop power supply.
* The reflective sheets are held up with push tacks.
* The wires are intentionally long to allow for raising the light.
* The bulb is 200w and the heater 100w

After a month the plant was too big for it's little pot so I decided it was time to let the backup plants go and commit to the main plant working.
I moved it to a larger pot and created a watering system.

To explain:
* The pot sits on top of a oasis block
* Inside the bottom of the pot is another small disk of oasis block which aids water transfer
* The mix inside is Vermiculite + perlite + potting soil
* The bottle allows me to water the plant from the bottom, without removing the lid.

The inside temperature is kept at between 20-22C which seems to work well for it.

SO FAR
I'm now 2 months into the grow and am hoping it will soon be ready for harvest.
The plant appears to be growing well and every day I see a noticeable increase in plant height and leaf size which is a great sign.

Thanks for reading
If you have any questions feel free to ask

Post subject: Re: My first grow indoors, on the cheap (lots of pictures)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:02 am 

Hi

I'm into my first real season of indoor growing but i had a plant with realy huge leafs , only problem i had was it never got in to the folwering stage due to me using a regular florecent light and that it got light 24/7.

Right now i have about 20 seedlings going and i wil experiment with LED growlights :)

I will try to document things and post pictures too :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 am 

Stig wrote:
Hi

I'm into my first real season of indoor growing but i had a plant with realy huge leafs , only problem i had was it never got in to the folwering stage due to me using a regular florecent light and that it got light 24/7.

Right now i have about 20 seedlings going and i wil experiment with LED growlights :)

I will try to document things and post pictures too :)

From what I've heard LED are great but to get a decent amount of wattage from them you need to spend alot.
My CFL bulb cost £45 with the hood and plug etc, I opted for a half red spectrum and half blue (4 of the element bits of each colour) this means to force flower I only need to switch to 12/12 from the 18/6 that it's currently on.

The plant is Havanah which means the leaves should be huge this wont suit my grow closet so I plan on picking slightly early or force flowering quicker.

check the next post (i'm making now) to see what i've done to suit this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 am 

Right in the last few hours I've made a decision...

firstly this is the result

Now the logic...

The strain I went for is havanah as I like a nice cigar every so often, this causes a problem, the leaves are way to big for my grow room, to counter this problem I decided to pull some of the bigger leaves off and try and cure them early.

Secondly due to ample light my plant has stayed bushy and short, by pulling the bottom bigger leaves I am hoping that the plant will start to grow taller, when too big I will top it to reverse this.

Finally
I'm a 90s kid and thus impatient, so I wanted to do an experiment to see what happens if i try and cure un-ripe leaves as you can see they are not big but nor are they small leaves so I checked my ambient humidity (70-80% in this area, although I have also got a humidity gauge on the way), and have thus put a fan blowing towards the wall which reflects off and jiggles the plants lightly, there is also a halogen heater keeping the room around 20-30c which will hopefully keep all well.

Thanks for reading

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm 

Why grow indoors? If space is a problem - use other peoples spaces.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 pm 

I tried to cure un-ripend leaves but no luck ...

oldhag wrote:
Winter is the main problem for outdoor growing ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 am 

Stig wrote:
I tried to cure un-ripend leaves but no luck ...

oldhag wrote:
Winter is the main problem for outdoor growing ...

Ah that sucks, they are definitely loosing the green tinge so I might just be lucky, the room is like a saner and humidity isn't bad around here.

An +1 to the weather being a big decider, this way i can grow all year round with no problems meaning if I'm busy over the hotter times of the year I don't have to worry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 am 

i guess the problem was the lack of red spectrum light .. The plant did grow and it had huge leaves .

I got this idea to make my own leed growlight with a micro controller programmed to give the plants the blue and red light they need .

since i'm planing on using about 150 of each color i have choosen to use a TIP41C npn power mosfet to drive the leds and i will have separate channels for each color.

If it works the way i want i will expand it so i can have more plants ..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:29 am 

Stig wrote:
i guess the problem was the lack of red spectrum light .. The plant did grow and it had huge leaves .

I got this idea to make my own leed growlight with a micro controller programmed to give the plants the blue and red light they need .

since i'm planing on using about 150 of each color i have choosen to use a TIP41C npn power mosfet to drive the leds and i will have separate channels for each color.

If it works the way i want i will expand it so i can have more plants ..

if you have any luck i would be interested in reading about it seeing pictures and schematics etc.

Thanks

Stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm 

Stig, With standard cfl you can get them to flower, but you have to drop your light cycle to start it. Ie Grow: 18 hours of light , Flower; 8 hours of light.

As to other thoughts on red light spectrum. 450nm and 650nm roughly is a good suppliment ( red/ blue leds)

All I got to add. Really cool grow log. I love pictures :0P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm 

awesome grow log - thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 am 

iliadtattoo wrote:
Stig, With standard cfl you can get them to flower, but you have to drop your light cycle to start it. Ie Grow: 18 hours of light , Flower; 8 hours of light.

As to other thoughts on red light spectrum. 450nm and 650nm roughly is a good suppliment ( red/ blue leds)

All I got to add. Really cool grow log. I love pictures :0P

I haven't been able to do much recearh and testing but i got some LED's and i will give it a try as soon as i can grow more plants indoors..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm 

looks really good keep up the good work.