How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY grow lights ..
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:01 am 

since i will growing by plants indoors i have been thinking about making my own grow lights.

I have already made some led pcb's for another project i will be using em for this project.

The pcb is just 5x5 cm and i managed to get 16 5mm led's on each board.

so what is the cost of the project ??

I send my pcb designs to iteadstudio in china i pay about 10 Dollars for 10 pcb's (i usually get 12) cheapest postage option to norway is 5 Dollars so the cost of the pcb's adds up to 15 dollars.

I also have bought 100 Blue and 100 Red led's of Ebay, the flat top led's cost about 5.20 Dollars for each color postage included .

the resistor i have used i 1206 smd type witch just cost about a dollar for a bunch .

so my total cost for this project is 26 Dollars (not including the power source).

Post subject: Re: DIY grow lights ..
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I am trying a T5 light set up this year So far there looking good
the picture is two pictures stitched together top section is from April 24th
and the section is from today May 4th Eleven days growth there going outside
next Tuesday or Wednesday

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
The T5 set up is a 4 lamp fixture at 96 watts.... 24 watts per bulb ( Lamp )
Now if I could just figure out the damn camera settings for the flash

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 am 

I mounted light bulb fixtures to the undersize of a wood shelf. 3 CFL bulbs per wood shelf - a mix of 5500F and 5000F 120w equiv* CFLs. good for germination and getting them to transplant-height gets them good light without generating too much heat or using up too much juice.

See some of my other grow logs for pics of the rig.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 am 

i just made tis pcb and i'm about to send it of to production :) it might be useful in conjunction with other sources of light ..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:02 pm 

Here is something very similar to what I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy5fzPlsXK0

Couple notes
(1) I use Y-Splitters in each socket with four 23W (100W output) CFL's, instead of two ~45W CFL's
(2) I use wirenuts, I have no idea why this guy didn't use wirenuts besides he said he didn't like the way they looked. I was more careful with the electric than this guy.
(3) I fastened Eye Bolts at each end of the center to hang the light, instead of hanging from the threaded rods. I don't think it matters either way as long as it's balanced and level.
(4) If you leave 3" of threaded rods at each end you'll roughly create a 24"x18" lighting space, 3 sq ft, with 400W output.

The most expensive part of the build is the lights and even then the whole thing is real cheap. It works well for propagation, small nursery vegetation and an herb and lettuces garden. It may not be enough to grow a fully mature tobacco plant, but it would definitely be sufficient to get them going to a healthy transplant size prior to mid-spring-time (similar to the photos above using the T-5's). For CFL's just make sure to get a mechanical timer and put it on 16/8 cycle. Use Daylight 6500k color temperature bulbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 am 

Stig, no image is showing for me. Btu I am interested in any source of light that uses less power. I have 36 feet of starting space and am lookign at doubling that. I have the power per square foot down to 22.6 watts and that is working with some attention. But doing even lower would help at 36 square feet that is still almost a kilowatt to run my starting stand. Less heat and keeping the light in with the plants is what I am looking for.