How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: minimum wat light needed?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:12 pm 

ok so what is the minimum wat requirement to grow indoors lets say for just 1 plant? and does it need to be flouresent or full spectrem?

Post subject: Re: minimum wat light needed?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:30 am 

I grow them under 4 foot 2 lamp florescent shop lights. I don't use special bulbs. They are placed very close to the plants (about 2 inches away). The fixtures are adjustable and are moved up as the plants grow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:43 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Minimum Watt's ?
Well to each his own.
I researched this very subject earlier this year and about all you find is research
from the people that grow pot and there results.
I used a T8 single 24 inch bulb (20 watts) the last few years to start various plants and Tobacco.
But this year I bought a 4 light T5 24 inch light fixture (24 watts per bulb)and I have all ready noticed a
big difference much much bigger and faster growing seedlings so far.
later today I'll post some comparison pictures.
My boss recently purchased a 4 bulb 48 inch T5 fixture at 54 watts per bulb.
and his plants are really going to town

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 am 

hm thats cool so i have a 75 wat flourecsent grow light bulb will that work? or should i get a long flourescent tube one like yours?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
It really depends how much money you want to spend.
Where I bought my 24 inch light fixture they have a 48 inch 4 bulb
T5 light fixture above some flowers and they look real good
I think there 48 inch fixture was $165 that includes the bulbs
the bulbs are 54 watts per bulb for a total of 216 watts
My 24 inch 4 bulb fixture was $103 at 24 watts per bulb for a total of 96 watts
But I just intend to use it for seedlings
T5 bulbs emit the " Blue Spectrum " which is used for promoting more leaf growth
T8 grow lights emit the " Red Spectrum" which is good for flowers
If I had the money and wanted to grow indoors I would use both or a combination
of the two

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:59 am 

I use one ViaVolt 4 ft. x 4 bulbs at 6500K the full spectrum bulbs each bulb is 54 watts. I also use 2, T12 fixtures at 6500K color temperature, at 40 watts/bulb with 2 bulbs in each fixture. My total wattage is 376 watts. I'm growing 24 plants under that wattage. But I've got my plants next to my 12 ft. window which adds lots of natural sun light too.

All fluorescent lights have to be extremely close to the plant canopy for the light to be effective. At matter of inches not feet.

There are several sites that explain the different types of grow lights available on the market and the pros and cons of each. T5 Fluorescent lighting is usually the most cost effective of them all. None of them are cheap.

CFL's or compact fluorescent lights have been greatly improved recently and they're very cheap. They mostly come up to 300 watts. There might be some with higher wattage but I don't see them often. You just have to find a Mogul socket to screw the bulb into. The reflectors are cheap as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 am 

dkh2 wrote:
T5 bulbs emit the " Blue Spectrum " which is used for promoting more leaf growth
T8 grow lights emit the " Red Spectrum" which is good for flowers

Actually, T5 and T8 bulbs emit Blue or Red Spectrum. You just have to buy the spectrum you want. A T5 light is 5/8th's inch diameter (hence the T "5") and a T8 is 8/8's inch diameter. They are both available in different CRI and Kelvin ratings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

I have two 250 watt HDS lights in a 8'x4' grow area. I detailed what I did on my blog. https://tobaccogrower.wordpress.com. the earlier postings in April detail how I set everything up and where i picked it all up. I only spent about $250 for the lights and timer and some other equipment.

I hope it helps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:25 am 

as deluxestogie pointed out,

the best place to learn about light's, and growing plants with them, is to visit a pot forum, and this is true, for a lot of questions you may have,

FERTILIZER = visit a pot forum ,, use the search,,,,and im sure it's there somewhere,

i'd just google '' marijuana forum. inside growing''

and im sure you'll see plenty on the issue of '' growing inside''

good luck on it,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:23 am 

CHICKEN wrote:
as deluxestogie pointed out...

Nope. Not me.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 am 

hi
light is an illuminating subject. at my place the trees have took over. form a canapy,over the whole lot. built a green house they now shade it. I wanted to cut a few ( less than 100) wife said NO NO. so started to use buckets again. did some searching and found reports of differant types of lights.
cfl's are just small florissents. most types of grow lights get expensive fast. after reading that cool lights put out less light I bought some day light or high spectrum lights. Then happened on to a site that said cool lights put out more of thge red and blue colors that plants like. I switched to cool lights ,so I am finnally happy with some results.
I read that with florissents you need 20 watts for every square foot of grow space. You need to keep them as close as possible to the plants. they don't put off much heat so that is plus.
my little grow spot now has 4 tomato plants in pots. I use shop lights from wallyworld. about $10 uses 2 bulbs T8 cool white or garage lights. spot is 3' x 6' so 18sq. ' x20 = 360 watts.5 shop lights/ 10 bulbs/32watts each, more than cover it. 1 on each end on end 1 across top and one on each side tilted to shine on plants. total costs were $100.
interesting that the light with the most lumiuns does the lesser good for the plants. the cool lights are working by far the best of anything I have tried .
Just as aid I put them on timer 12 on 12 off.
Lee

Last edited by smbdyiam on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 am 

I use a 200w CFL with half blue and half red
heres a link to it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300746777433&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

It apparently gives out arounf 500-800w equivalent while using 200w of power, but either way seems to work, also no need for a balast with CFL which was a bonus for me.
Stocky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:37 am 

hi
I had to go back and reword my earlier post . the question was how many watts not the difereant types, it really maters for both. from the reading I did the cool lights give off the most colors that the plants need . and the florrisents give off the most light per watt. leds are good but expensive . so I was looking at costs too. 20 watts cool light floreisents per sq. ft. is best answer I found. Makes no difference if tubes or compact bulbs cfl's .Lee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:46 pm 

1 plant? Put it in the window.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 pm 

hi
good answer. but not right here. question was about watts. my windows do not use or put out watts.lol :lol: I have 42 ft of wall on east side of house it gets sun from day light till. 10 A M so the beds and baths do not get enough light. 32 ft on north is covered by carport, no light. 32 ft on south is part of a bath and rest is one large fireplace no windows. 42 ft on west is all windows. yea. 10x 3ft. wide windows and one 3 ft wide door, good . but it faces on one acre of trees. 20 citrus and over a 100 live oaks. They form a canapy over my yard. canapy over my green house and keep us in darkness. I live in the dark ages now. live oak and citrus do not lose their leaves in winter so it is year around. I have a little shed that has a spot 3' x 6' x 8' that I started growing tomatos in. the florissent lights work great and I now have tomatos blooming and a few small maters have set on. I stopped trying to raise a big crop of tobacco because of the shade . I just play with one and two plants at time now.
But even one plant when it gets to be 2' across and 4 ' tall has 36 sq. ft of exposed area. 36sq.ft. x 20 watts =720 watts 32 watts in T8 4ft. tube is over 20 tubes I can get by with 10 tubes hanging close on all sides. and top. Nieghbors stopped to see why I had lights on in my green house :roll: :lol: so stopped using it . Cops were next. i don't need the hassle. lee