How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Indoor experiment with red/blue LEDs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 am 

Those lights on your link look similar to mine, but they have better wavelenghts (450/660). I'd say they are a good choice, and price is okay. Definitly way better than that blue panel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

Since this is an experiment, I decided to add another 21W 4000K CLF. Not that 22W from LEDs isn't enough, but some of wavelenghts a plant needs might not be covered. I'll wait for a week and come back with results :)

Today it looks like this, I'll take a photo next monday for a comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:20 pm 

i've been sprouting and growing under CFLs for a few seasons now and I have to say that at a MONTH old, it should be outside. the tobacco itself doesn't lend enough profit to invest in fancy lights (we're not talking about MJ/c@nn@b1s). typically once they get to the size of a quarter, i'm ready to start moving them to a sunny window, then outside to harden up, then into the garden. After planting the big-big boys into the garden, I'll usually keep a few '2nd chancers' around indoors b/c i think really stunted tobacco plants are cute. :3 In addition to the blue/red light you need to get some heat to the plant. the young roots really love warmth. That's another problem with the CFLs and LEDs. without a seedling mat during germination, it can take me forever (2wks with one batch of seeds). With the CFLs and the seedling mat, I had 48hours for full radicle protrusion from seed husk from some ARS-GRIN seeds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 am 

I know those plants are slow, but they have only beed under light for about 14 days now, and this is my first attempt.. :D before that, I had them next to a window for a month with not much success. If I started to grow them under the lights sooner.. the results would be there.

Just for comparison, I've planted some tobacco on November 24th, and some on December 21th. I put them both under the light about 2 weeks ago. Belive it or not, some are about the same size now! Had no problem with germination, the second one germinated in 2 days (kept moist, on the warm lid of a fishtank in a plastic bag).

I have a thermocuple next to my trays, and it's showing about 25°C (77°F) more or less constantly, and that is the temperature I am looking for.

Regarding profits, I know I can never pay LEDs of with tobacco, they lack in price/performance category. But still, why not give it a try :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:51 pm 

i just felt that I got more value from the $5 5500k full-spectrum CFL @ 14w-cfl / "100w incandescent" than a $60 array of LEDs. I'd love to use them b/c of their lower power consumption even over CFL, but that entry costs makes me a sad panda.

it's a good experiment and i look forward to following it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 pm 

I fully agree with you, they aren't worth that much. And they have another problem I spoted after a few days...Its really annoying to have entire room lit purple 14h/day :shock: And I can't close them in my grow box, since they have to be about 4 feet away from plants due to narrow beam of light. Besides that, whenever you look at the plants, you can't really tell how are they growing since they look...well, colorless.

To be honest with you, I am considering switching back to CFLs. LEDs work, no doubt about it, but other things annoy me. :? Perhaps I will use those LEDs somewhere else...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:00 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I'm going over to Hood River today and pick up a 6000k two foot florescent grow light today.
It's a Hydroponics store There web site sucks it just gives there location so I called them
I swear the guy was stoned but I did get some info, 29 bucks for a single 24 inch blue 6000k
with the fixture I want a two bulb fixture with one Blue and one Red there kind of high priced
but there is no sales tax in Oregon so it pretty much evens out compared to here in Washington State.
I'll keep you guys posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 am 

Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward for your results dkh2!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I got a single bulb fixture for 28 dollars
a two bulb fixture was 88 dollars
I can all ways get another one later, it has a piggy back plug in it
to hook to another fixture
The first fixture is plugged into the wall while the second fixture is
plugged into the first fixture you can hook up 4 fixtures together
using one plug in, this particular model is a 6500k 24 watt High Output blue bulb.
The guy said it's the equivalent to high noon as far as sunlight is concerned
We Will See

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 pm 

I was wondering, do you really need the red light? I've always heard that blue light was best for leaf growth, while red light was better for flowering/fruiting. I'm wondering whether the red-spectrum (or broad-spectrum) lights are really worth it, as opposed to the cheap blue CF's?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:34 am 

Quote:
6500k 24 watt High Output blue bulb

Sounds good. I went to two large hardware stores over here to get one, and all they had was hundreds of different 2700K and 4000K bulbs... they say that's all people are buying :shock:
Quote:
I was wondering, do you really need the red light? I've always heard that blue light was best for leaf growth, while red light was better for flowering/fruiting. I'm wondering whether the red-spectrum (or broad-spectrum) lights are really worth it, as opposed to the cheap blue CF's?

I'm pretty much wondering the same thing. Regarding production of chlorophyll, we know there are 2 types, A and B.

Considering this diagram, one blue light with a peak around 445nm should be enough. But to be on the safe side, I'd say its still better to have 2 colors (when using LED) or CFLs, which put out more colors anyway. There is more than just chlorophyll.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm 

This light I bought has 2000 Lumens
Can you tell what the nm is for a 24 inch 24 watt T5 High Output 2000 Lumens lamp is ?
It doesn't say anything on the box about nm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:27 pm 

dkh2 wrote:
Can you tell what the nm is for a 24 inch 24 watt T5 High Output 2000 Lumens lamp is ?

This page should answer your question (read all the posts - it's not a simple answer)

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pa ... ersion.htm

-RSF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:13 pm 

Quote:

It's impossible to tell based on the temperature alone. A single 'color temperature' can by achived by mixing different wavelenghts in different proportions. Generaly, the higher the temperature of the lamp is, the more blue color it is emitting. If it's not labeled on the box... then its hard to tell. Perhaps you can mail the manufacturer and ask for emission spectrum?

Another thing, lumens are unit, adopted for sensitivity of human eye. A 10W green bulb may put out 10 times as many lumens as a 10W red or blue light. Human eye has a peak sensitivity in the middle of visible spectrum (green), and becomes insensitive towards the edges of visible spectrum (UV,IR).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:57 pm 

I was looking at there web site they have a "Very High Output" bulb too.
And one more thing the second salesman at the store wants to grow tobacco
Rustica to be exact