How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indoor experiment with red/blue LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:51 am 

So, I decided to invest $60 and buy two LED lights (with 138 red / 30 blue LEDs each).

I finally recived my LED lights from Hong Kong, and managed to install them today. Here are some pictures of my setup:

I simply mounted them on a piece of 5mm balsa wood. Sockets are standard E27. With 22W combined power, heat is no issue. They are mounted high, because they only have 15° beam angle. I like it that way, they really only light the plants and not the whole room as CFLs do.

They are quite bright, considering they only have 11W each, and that human eye is not so sensitive in red/blue spectrum as it is in green. And the color is red/blue, the pictures do not show the right color.

Before that, I used 2 CFL bulbs, 2700K/24W and 4000K/21W (it was what I had at home, hate shopping during holidays), and it did the trick. Now, I will only use those LEDs and will post the results in a week or two :)

Post subject: Re: Indoor experiment with red/blue LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:21 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I'm really interested in what happens with your experiment
Do you happen to know what the "K" is ....say compared to a 40W 5000K Bulb ?
In the picture is a test with Romaine Lettuce Seeds were planted July 13 Picture taken
August 1st 19 days later I'll try to find out the particular lights

The gal that did this said that she had them way to close to the plants like a foot away
and the intensity was too much notice the edges of the leaves are white that was from
the lights being to close , also this was a hydroponic test
It was her first try with the lights

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:11 am 

Not sure how I can compare the wavelenght and temperature...each temperature has its own spikes in the visible spectrum. The LEDs I have are 460-465nm (blue) and 630-640nm (red), so their light band is very narrow (like that of a barcode scanner on the picture below, for example). I know those wavelenghts are not optimal for growth, but they are close enough.

If I had to compare them with CFLs, I could say its like having one 2000K and one 4500K bulb. But that is not a good comparison, since both of those CFLs put out way more than just red and blue light. In adition to that, there may be a big difference in spectrums between two different light bulbs, despite being the same color (temperature).

dkh2, please try to find out what type of light was that, I am really interested. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Man that gal sells those systems and they ain't cheap the one in the picture is a 119W LED Beta Grow Light.
for over 635 bucks you to can sprout your very own tobacco seeds
She has her own website that sells the stuff
I'm inclined to go your route, most of those systems start at 1000 bucks, so forget that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 am 

Wow, that's a bit too much... :shock: I think my setup is enough for the area I'm lightning (30x60cm, which would be 2 square feet). Perhaps I will add another 5 or 10W of cool white LEDs, but I don't think it is necessary. Cool white LEDs have a high proportion of blue light which plants need, so I think It could be a good idea. In adition to that, white LEDs are way cheaper than colored ones.

But at this stage, lets wait and see how this works. I'll keep them on for 14 hours/day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:10 am 

A little update here after 8 days :)

Tobacco is clearly growing under my lights, but Its hard to say if it's growing better than under 45W of CFLs... At least this particular seedling. I would estimate it is about the same. It grew one leaf in 8 days.

But these, on the other hand, started to grow like crazy after moving them away from the window and under the lights. Those seedlings went from almost nothing a week ago to the best looking ones I have. Amazing! So obviously, other are growing poorly because something else is wrong, its not the light.

And another thing I did, I made a frame out of wood and wrapped it in aluminium foil...seems to reflect quite a bit of light that would otherwise be wasted.

In the bottom of the middle picture you can also see one of my Thai chilis...they seem to really enjoy the light, since they are growing very well. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:42 am 

What do you think of this light it's all blue just for vegetative growth.
80 bucks through Sears

12 inches by 12 inches by 1.5 inches thick
It comes with a bunch of hangers and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 pm 

First about the colors.. I've read a lot about it, and everywhere self proclaimed experts claim blue is for vegetative growth and red for flowering. I dont think this claim is accurate - after all, I have only 60 blue LEDs vs 276 red ones, and things are growing nicely. I doubt 60 blue alone would be enough for the area I have. That would only make about 4W. Both colors are good for everything.

Now about that panel.. I am not sure what power it is, but I belive that is a 14W one. I would advise you to check the ebay, you can get these much cheaper, they are about $30 if you are lucky. Or even better, if you have some DIY spirit and soldering equipment, you can buy LEDs and LED drivers on ebay and make your own panel - which is what I am going to do very soon.

Remember, on ebay you can get 3W royal blue LEDs (445nm-best ones) for about 1$/W nowadays. And they have another advantage, they have a lightning angle of ~140°, so you can move them closer to plants.

5 of these, and driver will cost you $21, free shipping. You can make your own layout, and even add red ones later if you want :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 pm 

OK
The more input the better
I'm starting my seeds around the first of April
Still plenty of time to come up with the one I
decide on.
One question about those plants pictured
Were they 8 days from the time you put the seeds in ??????
Or 8 days after they sprouted ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:12 pm 

Oh no, those are 8 days after instaling lights. Those poor seedlings are now month and a half old! :lol: And chilis are 1 month old today :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 pm 

That's what I thought
Also in my search in trying to educate myself on these lights I
ran across some with Red,Blue,Orange and white
One of the comments on led lights I read was saying to go with
the " Third Generation LED Lights"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:33 pm 

Yes, I've seen these.. I don't know what to think about that. Absorbtion spectrums of plants are something like that:

Clearly, red and blue are the most interesting ones. It can't hurt to add another CFL bulb to cover some of the other wavelenghts though. Or some orange LED.

I am thinking about aditional low power CFL, something around 10-15W perhaps. Just so that all wavelenghts a plant could need are covered. Perhaps I will get even better growth, although they are growing nice already :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:38 pm 

On your lights you have pictured what exactly is the name
So I can see if I can find those in my neck of the woods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:48 am 

Sorry, my lights are 'cheap' chinese one, with no name written on them or the box. I can give you a link though;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/138-Red-30-Blue-Led-Bulb-Lamp-Plant-Grow-Light-E27-11W-/200697778106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eba850fba#ht_3153wt_1159

30$/piece, and after buying 2 the guy wrote me he can sell me aditional ones for $20/piece.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 am 

Is this the same thing ? This outfit is in Los Angles California
PAR38 High Power Hydroponic 168 LED Grow Light Bulbs Lamps
$34.95 plus around 8 bucks for shipping
It was 79 bucks
http://www.thelashop.com/par38-high-power-hydroponic-168-led-grow-light-bulbs-lamps.html
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml#jsfixture

Last edited by dkh2 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.