How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginner to indoor growing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 am 

Hey folks, just bought a new house and finally have some gardening room outside. Thing is, where I'm at, we're headed into fall/winter soon. Luckily, I also have space inside now, so I'm setting up an indoor growing room!

I don't have any pics or anything yet, I'm just getting started, but I wanted to stop by and introduce myself (hi!).

I'm attempting to do this on the cheap, and therefore may not be doing everything "properly," but as far as I'm concerned its all experimentation and new to me anyway. I'll be using 3 or 4 75W equivalent CFL bulbs (6500K) over a 6 foot table. The lights will be on timer, on for about 14 or 15 hours a day. I'll be attempting to grow some peppers, peppermint, and of course tobacco.

Also, in case it matters to anyone, I'm an occasional pipe smoker as are some of my friends, which is what led me to find out about growing.

Pics and updated info as the room starts to come together.

Post subject: Re: Beginner to indoor growing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 pm 

The only problem I'm finding with the CFL bulbs is that they really only work well when they're CLOSE to the plant. :( great for seedlings and small transplants, but quickly becomes a nightmare for larger plants. HPS lighting can give you a lot of light and heat for more/larger plants. However, you'll now start to see your power meter running. When I lived in an apartment and power-usage was included - yeah, run them lights!! Now I'm responsible for the power bill, I'm a little more frugal. You really can't match the wattage output your plants get sitting outside in the sun on a bright/clear day. Unless your power bill is free or you want your tobacco crop to cost you what MariJ costs, best to grow outdoors, or to stick to just one or two plants grown indoors. I grew about 10 plants indoors with just 2x 120w equiv CFL bulbs and a 24" 13w fluorescent. they were stunted little things. maybe 2 feet tall, sticky-leaved and very pretty-smelling, but there wasn't much leaf to harvest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm 

Well, I realize I'm probably not going to have the prettiest plants in the world...but I'm cool with that. I'm excited simply to see if I can get anything grown during the winter months. I live in Eastern PA, and the growing season is about over here. I do have to pay for my electric bill so...I'm pretty much limited to CFL's or LED's (which take too long to recoup initial costs). I will invest in more lighting as the need arises, I figure.

Here are a couple pics of the current setup. All I have here are some tomatoes and peppers. Tobacco and other stuff hasn't arrived just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 am 

I have those same cone reflectors :) I have two of them mounted to a fiberboard shelf and was using them in a bookshelf for my seedlings. The second shelf just had 3 ceramic Leviton bulb fixtures, wired in series. No reflectors on that one, though. The CFL bulbs can be pretty cheap if you spend a little effort to shop them out. I liked the idea of the LED bulbs, but the price made me cringe.

Do you have an area of the house that gets good + sunny? you can always put the planters there to get as much natural light as possible.

Thinking $200-400 to make a nice shed out of 2x8s, faring strips, and some thick plastic sheeting. You could have a couple of medium watt HPS lights in there just help generate some heat inside. However up in PA, I don't think even a hobby-ish outdoor greenhouse would protect them come Winter-Winter. Here in central FL, we get some frosts, but it's only a day or two and NOT deep-freeze.

If you're doing it for sh!ts-n-gr!ns, go wild! You will be able to grow mature plants with an array of the inexpensive and low-power-consumption CFLs. You will be able to smoke them. They will be strong (as mine were), but there will just be a very low yield. I wouldn't bother trying to collect any seeds from them either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 am 

wdoyle1980 wrote:
If you're doing it for sh!ts-n-gr!ns, go wild! You will be able to grow mature plants with an array of the inexpensive and low-power-consumption CFLs. You will be able to smoke them. They will be strong (as mine were), but there will just be a very low yield. I wouldn't bother trying to collect any seeds from them either.

This is very encouraging, as thats really all I hope for. I'll probably try something more serious outdoors when the season comes, but I'm really just looking for some gardening entertainment through the winter. I'm excited to hear that someone else has done something very similar to this and it worked.

I suppose I'll start a grow log thread as soon as I get the baccy in dirt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:05 am 

I look forward to seeing your threads!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:02 am 

hey i also live in eastern pa! myerstown/lebanon area. and im also starting indoor plants WAY too late purely as an experiment and something green to watch grow while its dead and brown out during the winter. im putting up a post soon as im done here with pics of my plants! check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:19 am 

Have about 12 Havana sprouts, 1 TN90 sprout, and...no virginia sprouts yet. Exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 am 

a good place to look for any indoor lighting systems,,, is

htg supply.com

the cheapest on the web that ive found,,, and thier product is good,,,

years ago i purchased a 400 watt hps/hid light system from them for,,100 bucks