How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hydrophonic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:13 am 

Earlier this summer I learned of other people growing tobacco in their gardens here on the island. Like many others before me I had thought growing and curing would be quite difficult and could be illegal. It is to no suprise how lack of information leads to ignorance. I still get people asking if it's legal to have an all grain brewery in your backyard...or my favorite question "where do you buy the alcohol to put in the beer?"
Here I grow tomato's, garlic, beans, corn and strawberries in 4" PVC pipe, held about 3' off the ground with a slope of 1" per foot. The pipe is filled with carpet and growing medium. All plants are started in peat pots and transfered to a corresponding hole drilled in the pipe. All nutrients are supplied via a large water tank with a pump on a timer. I've had great success with this, primarily due to the fact most pests don't have access to the plant.
Knowing that I had missed this growing season, my thoughts turned to indoor hydrophonic, primarily as an option to learn first hand about germination, growth and harvest. Unfortunately with a yield of 1 to 2 oz per plant with a net commercial value of $22, purchasing metal halide lighting and temp controls isn't realistic.
Instead I'll focus my energy on using hydrophonics to get an early start before outdoor planting and growing outdoors using hydrophonic methods.

I'd like to thank all those who have posted their knowledge to this site. The information collected so far has been of great value.

Post subject: Re: hydrophonic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 am 

The thought of hydrophonics and physics of sound moving through water is exciting! I think you're referring to hydroPONics - growing plants in a nutrient-rich environment with little-to-no solid medium. I think for a low-cost crop like tobacco, i'm not sure it pays off for all the medium, equip, pumps, power, etc to grow a full-sized plant via hydroponics. However, I've seen some very compelling posts for starting seedlings and getting some good-sized transplants going via hydroponic methods. Most commercial growers use 'float trays' for their transplants. this is* a method of hydroponics. they have a vessel like a swimming pool and they float these styrofoam trays in the nutrient liquid. a pump moves the liquid around. good times.

The tobacco plants get big and use up a lot of nutrients to get big, and FAST!. Certain plants really rock in hydroponic setups, like tomatoes and beans/peas. I haven't had any luck with growing corn -even in the ground. lol.

as for lighting, I've found that full-spectrum compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs can sustain seedlings and small transplants very well indoors. I use the 150w-equivalent CFL bulbs from a local hardware store. the key is to LOOK CAREFULLY. Two things matter to the plant: the power (strength, in wattage) and the light COLOR. some FULL (including UV) can be found. I don't want a UV bulb sitting in my den, making me blind. I use a nice 'daylight' bulb that is in the 4500-5500K color range. this produces VERY bright white light. The CFL puts out little heat, which is a double-edged sword. Metal Halide or the Sodium lighting is awesome: good spectrum light, good warmth/heat. expensive :-/ CFL is cheap, but puts out much less light. less light = less heat. it's sucks b/c you need more powerful or more number of bulbs. good b/c you can get those bulbs REALLY close and won't risk killing the plant or setting the house on fire :)

I use two shelves of lights for my seedling and transplants. One shelf has two 150w-equiv bulbs in metal-reflector cones. the other shelf has three ceramic Leviton bulb sockets mounted with 150w-equiv bulbs - no reflectors. They generate a good amount of light for the seedlings. Once the plants get big enough to transplant, I bump them up from the seedling starter trays to 6oz plastic drink cups. water from the bottom - encourages deeper roots ( another great advantage of hydroponics). and move the light shelf up as the plants grow. once they are a few inches across, i get them ready to go out on the front or back porch to get natural light before going in the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 am 

OK with rolling tobacco hear costing me $32 AUD and say a cheap pack of 40's costing $22.50 AUD i want to get a plant half to 3/4 grown fast as can be first time off so have no tobacco grown yet just a few seedlings so im guessing a heater and the led lights with the light spectrum i dont have the specs this min i know its one of them 30% blue and 70% red and provides uv and other stuff that is needed without a uv light burning my eyes out as stated in last post i want to get to saving cash if it works out to be 7 bucks a pack i wouldn't give 2 shits what it tastes like till i get my blends going end of this season that is coming up (i want the blend tasting good though) just wanting some pointers will this work well will this speed up the growth rate as said i don't mind sacrificing a fair amount of flavor in speeding up growth really planing on doing 4 plants at a time what can i do to get it to grow faster like lighting times heating bumping up nutrient levels any other ideas even

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:19 pm 

Isn't it spring in Australia?
I don't know much about speeding up growth. I'd expect having control over temperature, light cycle and nutrient delivery one could give a boost to the season aka bigger plants going outside when others would be smaller. Some of the things I like about growing in this style is that you can tranfer your plants outside (when weather permits) and maintain good nutrient exposure. As well you can elevate your crop off the ground and not have to deal with various pests and animals.

Think yield...coloring and curing is still going to take the same amount of time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 pm 

jollyrogercrew wrote:
Isn't it spring in Australia?
I don't know much about speeding up growth. I'd expect having control over temperature, light cycle and nutrient delivery one could give a boost to the season aka bigger plants going outside when others would be smaller. Some of the things I like about growing in this style is that you can tranfer your plants outside (when weather permits) and maintain good nutrient exposure. As well you can elevate your crop off the ground and not have to deal with various pests and animals.

Think yield...coloring and curing is still going to take the same amount of time

yeah i know that the curing will take time might be getting some from www.leafonly.com if it gets hear not sure if it will if it does ill be happy and ill just get enough to get me through till i have my own tobacco and yes it is spring hear so getting close to being able to plant but i know that it takes some time to get the plants to grow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:09 am 

It is well known that the soil (growing medium) as well as location effects the flavor of tobacco. Now I cannot say that this is true across the board but I have heard that tobacco grown in this way does not have a lot of flavor. You may want to do some extra homework into which varieties seem to work best. and not give up if the first efforts are not ideal. I grew 4 varieties this year under extreme conditions. The results varied widely from variety to variety. Some did not seem to mind the conditions as much as others. I then messed up my number one producing variety by harvesting it with the least desirable method for the flavor I was looking for. I primed it rather than stalk harvested it causing it to have a mild flavor. live and learn.

Post subject: HYDROPONICS-sorry, I teach English at the Middle School Leve
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 am 

I am working on a detailed research project on hydroponics and indoor growing of vegetable and most importantly tobacco. I will let you know when I get my head wrapped around it and will post all my findings...I have found some AMAZING information and data to make it affordable and worth the investment... 8) 8) I will let you all know when I can communicate it and share it...then we can all learn and tackle it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:59 am 

I have spent a lot of time researching a good resource for hydroponic information and materials. I have found the following address to be a great and trustworthy one to spend time researching:

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/resources/instructions/

I have not started my project yet...but hope to do so soon...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:16 am 

Why do you guys use hydroponics? Did you screw up all your soil? :evil:
You could use big pots.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 pm 

As to why to grow hydro, I'm assuming the answer is a winter crop, which must be grown indoors (or you just got bored and wanted to experiment, which is totally awesome, more power to ya). As for the how, what liquid fertilizer mix did you use? I'm starting a small winter crop indoors myself, and am toying with the idea of comparing soil to hydro. Any input would be most appreciated.

-Cole