How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprouts at two week point!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 am 

I thought I was having some very slow growth with my sprouts, but found out through my growing community all is well!!!
Thank God and growers for this site! My baccy sprouts are as of today two weeks old and looking great.

I have never grown before so was sketchy on size, color, height, and leaf number.

I have Virginia Gold and Burley up. The VA- is a deep green sprout hugging soil and as of this morning showing three leaves. (Seem to show up over night!)

Burley- A lighter geen in comparison; hugging soil, showing only two leaves. leaves are the same size as VA.

seeds were planted at same time & oddly enough the Burley germinated in 5 days, the VA took 7?

NO leaves showing are "TRUE" leaves of course.

Should the Burley be showing any third leaf yet, or does this sound normal for Burley?

Post subject: Re: Sprouts at two week point!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 am 

I have a burley variety and I'm pretty sure my yellow orinoco counds as a virginia. I noticed the YO to pop slower than the burley did. (and slower than rustica, actually) (can see a picture of the YO at 16 days after sowing in my grow log thread)

not sure if thats normal, but from my reading here it seems like theres a pretty wide range of how quick they put on more leaves.

good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am 

thanks for the response! will check out pics and will post some asap!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 am 

I have a series of photos in my album that show starts up to about 6 weeks. They start very slowly but in the 4th and 5th week make up for all of that poking round. i have started seed 4 or 5 times now and still have that huge anxiety thing for the first 4 weeks. then bang they seem to get the idea of what growing is all about and get real good at it. they go from being to large for a 3 oz cup to being to large for a 6 inch pot in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 am 

thanks for that, I have been wondering how in the world these guys get the size they do through grow season at this rate lol!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:08 am 

synacl1000 wrote:
thanks for that, I have been wondering how in the world these guys get the size they do through grow season at this rate lol!!

^^ lol but i agree 100%...my seedlings stayed so small for what seemed like forever,,, :lol: :lol:

but once they '' took-off'' in the seed trays,,,,i couldnt get them to thier 6'' pots quick enough,,,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:52 am 

Interesting reading, my sprouts are now 25 days old, and they still grow veeery slowly. After reading this, I fully expect them to explode within days :lol: Sorry for the picture, its a bit large, hope that's ok. For size comparison, that is an AA battery in the upper left corner.

Last edited by Andrej on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 am 

My first seedlings were done in Southern California. 50F-55F mornings and 75F days. seeds took like 2 weeks to sprout and really had slow growth to establish themselves.

later seasons in CA and in FL had better results. The reason? heat! I found that using a seedling mat and a domed cover while germinating really** improved my starts. I was getting germination (sprouts) within 2 days!! The mat gives me a nice 10-15*F over ambient temp. made a huge difference in CA where it was cooler at night and in the early mornings.

Can you upload some pictures of your setup and what temps you're seeing night/day?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:53 am 

Here is my setup, they all germinated in the box on the right, and I transplanted them to the pots on the left. There is a decent daylight, but no sun all day (east looking window). In about a week or two I am planning to add two 11W LED grow lights (red/blue LEDs), should help a bit. The temperatures are more or less constant all day, around 23°C (73°F). Oh, I kept them on top of my fishtank during germination, it was slightly warmer there, and they germinated within a week. :)

Last edited by Andrej on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:38 pm 

Andrej,
Your images do not display. On copying the link into a browser, the image displayed, but with this address: http://postimage.org/image/xr7a5kilf/.

I'm not sure why neither image address will display within the forum.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm 

pictures didn't work for me earlier today, but are showing up now. cool.

i'm not really a fan of the LED lighting. i think really think tobacco gets much from the red/blue LEDs. this isn't that **other** plant that people often grow indoors ;-)

I found that a local hardware (mega)store should have some good compact fluorescent bulbs. Looking for 120w or 150w 'equivalent' bulbs that are in the 4500k to 5500k visible light spectrum ("daylight"). they are cheaper than LEDs by a lot and they use up little power; not as power-efficient as teh LEDs, but they are cheaper and do generate a little needed warmth.

Here's a picture of my setup. cut two big holes in the shelf to mount the reflective cones. mounted with some little metal tabs to hold the reflective cone to the shelf.

I eventually added a second shelf. cut 3 holes and just used a standard home light socket, wired in parallel.

The bulbs themselves are a mix of

SKU: 772-429
Model: EDX0-19
Light: 5500K
Watt: 19w CFL

SKU: 191-055
Model: EDX0-19
Light: 5000K
Watt: 19W CFL

examples:
http://tinyurl.com/7dxj4tw

typically about $3-$5 per bulb. the 'standard home' socket was like $1.50 to $2.50 and a few $ for the plug+wire. took like 5mins to wire it all up ;) really simple and effective lighting panel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 pm 

wdoyle,

Looks nice!

Can I make a suggestion? Why not line the inside of those shelves with something white? (I use foam-core for this) to reflect back some of the light that is otherwise wasted. Although the interior of the shelves looks shiny, I think you'll get more light on the plants with a white background? The intensity you've got looks great, but when I have to pay the electric bill I try to squeeze everything I can out of those photons!

When I did this, I also made a piece that fit across the front (for when I was away/asleep) but took it off when I was around (Something mesmerizing about seeing green plants in the middle of winter!)

Good luck!
-RSF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:38 pm 

Andrej wrote:
Interesting reading, my sprouts are now 25 days old, and they still grow veeery slowly. After reading this, I fully expect them to explode within days :lol: Sorry for the picture, its a bit large, hope that's ok. For size comparison, that is an AA battery in the upper left corner.

Andrej,

Tobacco is one of the weirdest plants I've ever grown. It almost always does this "Sprout and then do nothing for a while" - except when it doesn't - some people seem to get plants that grow from nothing to the size of a basketball in a month (not me ;-)

But I've also had tobacco stall in the 2-leaf stage for quite a while. If the soil is too wet, or too hard, they can stay that way for months! (Actually, I've only seen this when I threw a bunch of seeds outside in an area that I knew was too wet for tobacco; thousands of sprouts, but never a third leaf until finally the natural vegetation took over.)

Once they do start to take off, they usually go gangbusters, but getting them past that initial stage is one of the touchy parts!

-RSF

CLARIFICATION: I've only seen plants stall for months when I did that outside/too wet thing, but indoors I've seen them stall for long periods when the soil wasn't right. Usually my overwatering!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 pm 

@deluxestogie
Thanks, I fixed the links... not sure why pics showed in Firefox, but not in Chrome :? Anyway, hope you all see them now, I do in all browsers.

@wdoyle1980
Nice setup.. well, I already have LEDs ordered, so perhaps I will combine them with some CFL lightning. They were $60 on ebay, which is a lot for 22W, but okay.. I consider it a christmas present for myself. I know people use it to grow weed (lots of videos on youtube), so I thought I should give it a try on tobacco :D

@RedSoxFan
Yes, exactly like you described... I don't know, perhaps I do water them a bit too much. I'll try to water 1/3 of them a little less for a week or two to see the results. Trial and error :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 am 

@RedSoxFan - I might eventually line it with something, yes. My office/computer-room is B R I G H T with those things running. They also generate a good bit of warmth. I guess I didnt' want it getting too warm in there. My older setup in California was two of these lights clamped to one of those 'indoor home garden' stands that held a 23w T5 fluorescent bulbs. big cardbox box lined with shiny foil was placed around it to help bounce-back some of the light.

@Andrej - Tobacco is a strange plant regarding the way it grows. it sprouts in a few days, shoots out radicle. "nothing" for a day or so, then 3mm of stalk grows overnight. then the cotyledons pop out from the seed shell. overnight. lol. then these little sprouts 'do nothing' . i have found that every time it's 'doing nothing' -- it's not. it's putting out more roots. it'll put out tons of roots, then BLAST up the above-ground plant. As RSF says, it'll go from nothing to BASKETBALL within a few short weeks.

Soil nutrients, light, and water are everything. I use the heating mat up until they are about to be transplanted. this ensures good warm soil and helps stimulate root growth. i give the plants a good 12-14 hours of sunlight from the bulbs. When you sow the seeds, you do not need to 'water' them. you merely 'mist' them. give a few squirts, then cover. This creates the high humidity. keep covered at night to hold in heat. uncover during day to help keep mold/mildew away. when the soil looks dry, mist again. I would usually mist 2-3 times a day, lightly. I do not fertilize them for a few good weeks. Remember that the seed carries all the nutrition the sprout needs: the 2 cotyledons are enough to absorb light, the seed provides the sugars for the radicle to grow into the soil. I will usually start to thin out the sprouts once their first pair of leaves form (about a week after sprouting). i will put them in a small medicine cups (1-2 oz cups). after the leaves are about 20mm diam ('a quarter') I will get ready to move them to a bigger cup (8oz cup or 16oz 'beer pint cup'). Here I will give them a watering with a light mix of tomato fertilizer. a little goes a long way, too much will nitrogen burn the plant. keep em warm, fed, and sunny and the roots will grow like crazy. I like the clear cups b/c I can see the roots growing to the surface of the cup. I can 'see' if things are going according to plan :)

tobacco does not like 'wet feet'. make sure the cups/containers can FREELY drain. water until the soil is wet and let it run/drip out. the soil will hold some moisture and the roots will suck it up what it needs. The plant will obviously go through 'happy' and 'sad' moods. they are easy to tell apart. too dry, the plant will wilt and FALL OVER. quite dramatic. give it some water. within an hour, it'll be PERKED back UP. ;-) too much water, it'll wilt. if soil is wet or muddy - put in light, and put a fan on to help evap it.

keep up the good work!