How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey sh@! for baccy?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 am 

Thanks SC, I appreciate it. To be honest I was searching the net for the fert of choice for baccy and I believe I simply entered "Best fert for tobacco" and that was all over the place! (18-46-0)

I've got time yet to turn some up, any thoughts on turkey fertilizer? heared that was amazing?

Post subject: Re: Turkey sh@! for baccy?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 am 

I don't know sh(& about it. LOL
I've heard general warnings that manures(all manures) should be applied in the fall prior to planting in the spring to allow the nutrients to spread evenly through the soil, rather than to be in confined "hot spots". Also, that manure should be well rotted. I've heard that chicken manure was to HOT (high in nitrogen) to apply directly during the growing season since excess N can burn plants. That's about all I've read and will leave this topic to others with experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:16 pm 

Thanks, I'm not sure just caught wind of it (pardon the pun!) and thought I like you would throw it to the experts.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:43 am 

I dont know about turkey poo, but Ive used chicken poo for my garden one year and everything went great! I composted it though for a year. If you use wood ashes for your garden be careful how much you use! I used a 50 gallon barrel full once after cleaning my wood stove. That next summer I spread the whole barrel over a 30 ft by 30 ft area. Well then I planted my tobacco. When it was time for the leaves to turn yellow they like to never finish yellowing! It was in almost november when we got our first frost in oklahoma that they finally died from the cold and they were still green. I hung them up anyway and most of the upper leaves never did turn yellow.

So as a warning be careful of what fertilizer that you use! That plot of land may not be useable for quite awhile. Not sure cause Im living in Kansas now.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 am 

I have used chicken manure on my tomatoes for years. Best fertilizer you can get, But you can burn the plants if you put on too much because of the high nitrogen content.

Wood ashes contain about 6% potassium by weight. So if you put 100 lbs of ash on a 30x30 area, you put 6 lbs of potassium on 900 square feet. Or about 300 lbs per acre. I'm not sure how excess potassium affects ripening, Usually its too much nitrogen that prevents ripening.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:33 pm 

Thanks for all the advice guys!! Not made any decisions yet, gathering more intel lol!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 pm 

S, the best advice I've seen to date is give the baccy a shot of N when they are knee-high, then let em go on their own.

If you can relate that to the turkey stuff, I'd say go for it!

I've done as Sky said, in the past, and veggies were excellent.

Elsewhere I've been told that rabbit droppings are the only manure that can be applied directly without fear of burning the plants.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 pm 

I think after careful consideration I'm just gonna wing it! I'm going with the turkey sh@! With the approach "Everything is good in moderation" I very much appreciate all the feedback, A point in the right direction goes along way. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 am 

Let me add what I know about turkeys and their manure. I don't know about turkeys in MO, but in MN they're grown in outside pens, or at least with access to outside. Thus, their manure is in a sort of perpetual compost bin, continually fermenting during their rather long growout period, like 20-30 weeks, vs. chickens with only 6 weeks inside. So the manure is less concentrated and more composted.
Second point - the bedding material. There in MO they may use pine shavings which break down slowly in the garden. A faster composting material would be straw, corn stover or cobs, or anything other than a wood byproduct.
So if these turkeys are grown outside with a bedding of other than wood bedding, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any kind of garden.
Just my opinion as a retired poultry nutritionist.
Regards, Neal