How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fertilizer?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:37 pm 

Anyone know of a good fertilizer to use on the baccy? I have learned the ideal is 18-46-0, however there are no suppliers in my area that carry it. I will order offline if I have to but would rather pick something up locally. Here are my available options,
12-12-12
20-10-10
6-24-4

Post subject: Re: Fertilizer?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:49 pm 

I would recommend that you stop learning anything from the source that told you that 18-46-0 was good for tobacco. They're lying. I can't put it any more PC than that. Tobacco needs very little of the middle number (phosphorus) and definately needs the last number in a higher quantity than either of the first two numbers. See my 2009 grow log for more on fertilizer calculations or read the North Carolina flue cured tobacco guide http://ipm.ncsu.edu/Production_Guides/F ... _cured.pdf

I use SuperRainbow for Tobacco 6-6-18 and side dress to add more Nitrogen with Calcium Nitrate (15.5-0-0). That's all that is needed. Call them and ask for a local distributor http://www.rainbowplantfood.com/products/superR.htm . I paid $16 for a 50 lb bag.

Look to the right side of this page for links to the needs of both Burley and then Flue cured types. http://www.rainbowplantfood.com/crops/tobacco.htm

Don't forget, whatever fertilizer you use should NOT contain more than 3% Chlorides, which you will find in many store bought fertilizers. Don't use "Muriate of Potash" either for the same reason. It will lead to a badly burning leaf.

According to Superrainbow the right ratio of fertilizer for a Burley is 290-37-321 lbs/acre, or 29-3.7-32.1 lbs/10th of an acre, when divided by 10. So, a 30-4-32 or 15-2-16 would be better suited to fulfilling your needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 am 

It would seem 18-46-0 doesn't have any potash in it. The fact that the N-P-K is such a radical departure from the norm of any plant food just doesn't make sense. I read the post about rainbow ferts and thats what I'm going to try. :mrgreen:

FiveSeven :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
18-46-0 seems more of a bloom inducing fertilizer formula more than anything especially the "46"

There is a fertilizer with 19-31-17 that is specifically for Orchids to promote big stems for promoting big blooms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 pm 

Sorry guys, but shouldnt it have higher nitrogen for better leafs?

so lets say something like 30-5-23? (i have no clue regarding the numbers, just a rough estimate)

i have a fertiliser thats around 34-0-4 or so...and ive been using it
would that cause any issues?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 pm 

If you really wanted to have fun, get your soil analyzed and add fert based on that. Nitrogen could be from blood meal, cotton seed meal, ammonium nitrate etc. The Potassium could be from potassium sulfate, wood ashes etc. and then there are all the micro nutrients that could be supplied by a small dose of kelp or possible something like Azomite .

Randy B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 pm 

Filipe410 wrote:
Sorry guys, but shouldnt it have higher nitrogen for better leafs?

so lets say something like 30-5-23? (i have no clue regarding the numbers, just a rough estimate)

i have a fertiliser thats around 34-0-4 or so...and ive been using it
would that cause any issues?

If you could find a 29-3.7-32, then that would be a perfect blend for a Burley tobacco. What you have is close, you just need more Potasium and a snidge of phosphorus. Of course you have already have everything you need already in the soil, but you don't know without testing it. You shouldn't apply any more of that after they are knee high, it's pretty much just Nitrogen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:38 am 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
If you really wanted to have fun, get your soil analyzed and add fert based on that. Nitrogen could be from blood meal, cotton seed meal, ammonium nitrate etc. The Potassium could be from potassium sulfate, wood ashes etc. and then there are all the micro nutrients that could be supplied by a small dose of kelp or possible something like Azomite .

Randy B

Randy B
He is correct ! Have your soil analyzed.

I do it every year . One field of tobacco will call for more or less Potash and same with nitrate it will be more or less pounds pwer acre .

One good reason to soil test, is the PH . I have to add lime to some fields to adjust my PH . With out the proper PH the tobacco plant will not take up the fertilizer thats in the soil .The tobacco will not grow like tobacco planted on the same day in a lime deficent field as to a field of tobacco with the proper PH .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am 

My first year growin i bought one of them elcheapo test kits and it showed my ph was high and didn't trust the reading.Had the soil professionally tested and it came back at 5.9 :D

Just got back from the coop with my 50lb bags of potash( 0-0-62) and urea(46-0-0) at a cost of 33 bucks and now i can custom mix my own.My phosphorous is already a bit high so no need to add more.

It's well worth the money for the test just for peace of mind sakes.

Mark in Wi