How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first timer
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:42 pm 

I got seed in from coffinails, Virginia pack. I have started them in yogurt cups on top of the fridge, as it stays at 80 degrees there. using a mix of peat and potting soil. And am trying the water in a container below with holes in the cups to water from the bottom up.

figure this is the best place for me to post this as I am growing them indoors from start to finish. I will add pics when there is something to show :P

Post subject: Re: first timer
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm 

Nice to meet you and welcom to the community! I am just starting myself and hope your starts do well!!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:12 pm 

Thanks! I hope yours does as well :D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:10 pm 

IIRC, the Coffinnails Virginia took me a while* to germinate. However, at the time I was living in Santa Barbara, CA and living near the ocean. The temps were about 55F in the mornings and 80F during the day. The cooler temps might have slowed down activity. Took about 2 weeks to get germinating. Once they did, they really took off, tho. Keep us posted on the progress.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 pm 

Good growin CRobinso, you didn't say how big your plants are but if they're small or still seeds, you might want to mist them from the top as well to be sure they are really wet. Sometimes the potting soil or peat doesn't wick up all the way and they get dried out. Need to be moist until they are say half an inch tall and have a root that long to be able to reach water from the bottom. Just my experience mind you.
All the best, parle voux Francais? (stupid question there in Quebec). Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:02 am 

nope dont speak French..at all, born in Ohio :P thanks for the tip! been misting twice a day just to be safe :D

(IIRC?) thanks for that bit of info Wdoyle.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:58 pm 

IIRC - sorry, If I Recall Correctly. Any time, man. We're all here for the fun&sun&leaf so we're all happy to help.

how are you growing them indoors? planters? In my experience, I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 5gallon planter 7/8 filled with dirt. When they get rootbound, they get stunted something fierce. This is nice if you want small ornamental plants that blossom like crazy. If you want leaf, you want to give them lots of root-room to coax that stalk to bound up and pop out leaves. Does your indoor area have a sunroom that has access to direct sunlight for 8-12 hours a day? If you're looking to raise them with grow-lights, I'd probably want to use this time to dissuade you.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:20 pm 

I have 3 gal buckets atm, will work on getting 5 gal...

I have a north facing window that takes up most of the wall and lets in a lot of light, however i do plane to use CFL`s to add to the light.

how would you dissuade me?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:22 pm 

It takes a good amount of watts to equal what a good dose of full-sun gives a plant. The CFLs and lower-wattage fluorescent bulbs are great for starting seeds and giving what the seedlings need, but I don't think you want to build the rig needed for full-sized plants that will give you the yield you seek. My buddies that grow the *other* tobacco out in California (under their RX permit) run about 2000w rigs for maybe a dozen plants. It makes for strong plants that produce a good harvest, but also runs up the power bill and generates a substantial amount of heat. Any cost savings you're looking to gain from growing your own pretty much goes out the window :( If you decide to grow indoors, I'd say get the big fluorescents - T12? in those 24" or 36" shop-light fixtures. maybe 1-2 per plant and use them vertically 45* to 60* angle to get most of the plant exposed to the 4500-5500K spectrum light. surround in that reflective mylar to help keep light from being wasted. If you were worried about people seeing your tobacco plants for fear of you growing pot - rest assured your neighbors will now definitely think you're growing pot HAHAHAH

I think the best would be to put them in that window-area to get at least 12-14 good hours of sunlight. Even the indirect light is better than most bulbs at a foot away. You can even put those planters outside of the house in front of , or to the side of, that window. If you don't get strong light to them, they will grow tall and spindly, with few useful leaves.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 am 

lol Its not about how it looks, its that i have no out side space. the window is over a river, so setting them outside it will not work :(

Thanks for taking the time to tell me this :) Still going to have to try it. I will post pics as i get them...

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 pm 

You're welcome, no worries. Just saving you some of the effort myself and others went through. Tobacco grows like crazy, like a weed - "in the red" people say. That takes a lot of heat,light, and nutrients. I good 4-5' plant can be grown in a 5gal bucket planter in the sun. If you can get one of those anywhere on your property then you can have a great 'natural' plant :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:41 am 

i put the yogurt cups under a light last night. I have sprouts :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:13 pm 

Grats on the sprouts!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:22 am 

Goodluck growing I am using a germination chamber