How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got started!
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:19 pm 

Hello everyone! first timer from Missouri. Very recently began turning tool shed into grow room and have some work to do yet. However have managed to get things operational in time for 2011 season!!

5/24- Planted Virginia Gold placed in grow box 4" to 6" below lights on heating pad and coverd with plastic, holding at 81F
5/25- Added some mixed pepper transplants (donated to garden by step dad) 2" tall, they were weather beaten and poorly so I thought the box would give them a nice boost.
5/26- Planted Burley Original same fashion as V.G. Also started San Marzano tomatoes & Spacemaster bush cucumbers.

All starts in Miracle grow seed starting potting mix, peppers transplanted to cups in potting soil. Grow lights for the momment-GE grow and show...till pay day!
Grow box- 24"H x 19"D x 30"L, single B-(Reflective bubble wrap insulation used for insulation under vynil siding) ling interior for 360 lighting.
heating pad in box floor as heat source.

that's where I am to date & if anyone can give me any tips or advice on improvement I would greatly appreciate it!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Just got started!
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:20 pm 

Sounds like you're off to a great start, good luck! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:45 pm 

Too soon for advice, just keep them moist and warm (80-85ยบ) and they'll sprout in 5-7 days. When they're at 4 leaf stage, maybe 2 weeks after sprouting transfer them to whatever, 72 cell trays, ind. cups, pots whatever to get them separated. At that stage water from bottom up to keep them moist but not wet. Don't worry about mold, it happens but doesn't affect anything. Just keep in mind that this is the easy part, no tornadoes, hail or drought. It get harder with weather and insects, but hey, if it was easy tobacco would probably be cheap!
Have fun, Neal

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:51 am 

Thank you Neal! All is well and have written down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:53 am 

around here,, in florida,,,,we have so many busts from people growing marijuana in a room/thier whole house,,,

if i used my shed to grow baccy in,,,,,i'd for sure have a yard full of cops,,looking for the il-legal plant,,,,

i'd smile from EAR-TO-EAR,,,,when they seen it was baccy,,,,instead of what they were looking for,,,

for me in this area to even attempt that,,,,,would surely mean disaster for me as time went by,,,and people started seeing light from the shed constantlly,,,all night long,,,

next year i plan on using c.f.l.'s to start and maintain them,,,,but i think thats going to be done in a closet,,,,i would do it, in a open area,, but i got cats that come in the house,,,

and i could just see them being knocked all over the ground,,,,or one of them pooping in my plant,,because of the dirt,,lol,, :lol: :lol: :lol: