How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fertilizing in pots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:22 am 

Anyone got a simple direct suggestion for what to use and in what amounts to feed a plant in a 5 gal bucket. I already know about the search function but my brain is starting to suffer from overload with everything else I have already searched. I see Yankee taking about Rainbow for Tobacco all over the place but have not been able to find it. So far I have been using Miracle grow and have been warned by Lonnie not to use it. I am not going to try and smoke the plants I am growing now but am trying to get a step ahead of things by finding an answer now rather than when my plants are suffering from hunger pains. All my plants will be in 5 gal buckets. I will be mixing the soil prior to planting in a concrete mixer so i would be able to just toss in a dry type fertilizer as I mix the soil. the second feeding might work better if it was used in the water but not a must as i will be watering from the top. My preference is to eventually find the rainbow stuff and not have to think about it this much. I am finding other answers left and right but simply not getting my head wrapped around the fertilizer issue very well.
Thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: Fertilizing in pots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 pm 

Dear Dan,

I think miracle grow is alright as Lin as you use the version for tomatoes. This variety doesn't contain any chlorine. If I remember correctly the kind for flowers contains potassium chloride which interferes with curing & burning later.

Dino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm 

Dino, Thanks. And yes I am using miracle grow for tomatoes has a little bit of Ammoniacal Nitrogen ( plants get it quickly) and a little bit of Nitrate Nitrogen. But of 18% nitrogen 14 % of it is Urea Nitrogen which is slower for the plant to be able to utilize. Just learned about the various forms of Nitrogen earlier today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 am 

1 tsp/gal?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:43 am 

Swamp/ I am using half the recommended amount right now. But some of my plants are getting pretty big. Your post made me realize that they might be ready to go full strength. but yes the recommended mix is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. It also says to apply about one cup per plant when they are small an increase this to one gallon per plant as they grow. apply once a week. Still keep in mind the knee high ban on fertilizing tobacco.

As for me I simply mix it half strength in a gallon jug and then water my starts from the bottom in trays. that way they get whatever the soil absorbs. when I move them to 5 gal buckets i will apply one gallon of it per plant per week. will let you know how it works out at that rate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 am 

Fertilizing in pots must be difficult because the plant has no way of getting away from a concentration if you put in too much.

Rabbit droppings would be a good thing to fertilize with, IMO. Won't burn the plants and don't smell.
rc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I have 4 Virginia Broad Leaf in little starter cups (12 OZ ) and I watered them yesterday with
Fish Fertilizer the one table spoon per gallon ratio and this morning I couldn't
believe the difference overnight.I would say at least a 5 per cent increase.
and If I'm Lying I'm Dying. Also the dirt is a 1/3 1/3 1/3 combo of dirt, Compost and worm chit.
If that gives you any help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 pm 

Daniel is there any way for you to get around usin pots?They should only be used if you live on concrete in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 pm 

Ditto Taxed - I grew 22 tomato plants last year in pots, lots of work. Always too dry or too wet, would only do it again with a line for drip irrigation on a timer. I turned over the soil where the pots were sitting and will plant them in the ground this year. Not to mention the cost of pots and bedding soil.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm 

Pots are not my favorite either, but the stuff they call dirt here might as well be concrete. I know places they had to blast for post holes to build fences and I am not even almost joking. So it is either dig a pit and fill it back in with plant friendly stuff, make raised beds or go with pots. since I want to be able to move them around as needed. I chose pots. I agree on the cost thing also. but there is no way around paying for the soil here and I am already past the cost of buying the pots. I think this year has cost me about $400 already but I should be getting pretty close to the end of the spending. I even have enough tobacco growing around here for about half a cigarette now also. And you all thought that store bought stuff was expensive :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 am 

Doesn't really matter if they are in pots or not. What they need according the University of Kentucky is 20-10-20. Follow the directions for dilution rate, but I've noticed that usually it's around a 1/2 tsp per gallon for most fertilizers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am 

When I bought my grow lamp (ebay job) it came with a free, small, bottle of nutrient called ace of Buds (you can guess who their target audience is), the instructions are 3ml per litre, so i use 1.5ml per 500ml which is enough to water my plant, at first I didn't notice a massive change but nearly a month in it's started shooting up - each leaf is around an inch longer and 1/4" wider per day.
This could be due to the plant getting older or it could be the nutrient either way I plan on using it until it runs out then I'll decide whether its worth the £17 per 250ml or not.

Stocky_s