How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clay Pipe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:28 pm 

Hello All,
Not got around to doing the clay pipe "How To" I spoke of long ago, will get there one day but please don't hold your breath.

Here are a couple of 'pics of the latest clay - fired but mouthpiece not glazed:-

And here's one of the Harvest loaf for Rusty:-

Cheers,
J.T.

Post subject: Re: Clay Pipe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 am 

Gosh that is very nice JT !

I shall try harder!
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm 

You don't need to try harder Rusty, your bread always looks amazing - and very interesting recipes.

Just blagged some clay from my artist neighbour, have a friend who is after a clay pipe so will be making one in the next couple of weeks. Will take 'photos of the whole process and put them up. This time I'll do it........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:39 pm 

Hello jt !
Gosh, it would be wonderful if you were able to photo-document the process.
A friend nearby has some sort of kiln... Smallish, a hexagon shape that would require a large electrical breaker...
I need a new project ! Perhaps I'll see about getting a small bag of clay.
Best, r c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:00 pm 

Sorry for the delay Rusty, afraid I got distracted with gas can banjos, bird boxes, tobacco presses etc. etc. etc.

The 'baccy press gets it up to a shade under 2300psi, produces great plug. Below is a pic of leaves ready to be loaded. The chamber gets put in a steel frame and is squashed down with a bottle jack.

That kiln sounds just the thing, know where you're coming from with the breaker, a kiln can be hungry.

I'll attempt not to get too distracted in the next couple of weeks, make some pipes and post the 'photo log. Good job I don't work for the fire department, fire would be burned out to cold ashes before I turned up.

Cheers,
J.T.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 pm 

100mm square tube for a mould... what a great idea!
Block of wood on each end... in like Flint!
rc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 am 

Yeah that press looks like a pretty good/easy build. I wanna make a press soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm 

Yes, it's an easy build, just need a welder for the frame.

The tube I used is 80mm box section with 5mm walls, lined out with 10mm hardwood giving a 50mm square chamber. I put the 'baccy in the chamber then a well fitting square of hardwood in each end. The top (fixed) end gets an 80mm square piece of steel over it and the moving end has a 50mm square of steel for the ram of the bottle jack to push against - if there's no steel the ram will just punch through the wood.

50mm square gives 3.875 square inches. A 4 tonne jack gives a shade over 8800lb, so at max. pressure the 'baccy gets 2270psi.

I'll take a camera down to the workshop tomorrow and post a couple of 'pics pretty soon.

J.T.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm 

Wow! You even lined it !!

My idea had been to make a small box, toss some paper at it, then fill it with leaf,
build a small ramp up to it and park a wheel of the car on it overnight.
Tie it up with string in the morning...

Yah, yah... rude and crude! lol
rc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:01 pm 

You should give the car parking press a go, though I would leave it for a couple of days or more if you can - having said that I seem to remember the cars being a bit bigger in your neck of the woods than mine :).
Paper is a good idea, greaseproof stops the plug sticking and tearing the sides off when you get it out of the box.

Here's my press assembled and loaded, the tape is there to hold the end plate in place when loading the chamber into the frame:-

You'll notice I've got a large square of wood under the steel end piece rather than one cut to sit inside the chamber - not a good as the tobacco is more likely to be extruded - was being lazy.

Once the 'baccy has been pressed it has to be coaxed out of the chamber. Release the jack, remove the top plate and use a couple of packing pieces so that the jack can then push the plug out:-

When the plug has been jacked clear the chamber falls away:-

Here's the finished plug:-

Smells great and is very dense, that little plug weighs a shade over 2oz. The side view may look a little loose but it's due to tearing - being lazy again, didn't use greaseproof paper. Haven't cut it yet, think they benefit from sitting for a while, but I know it'll be shiny all the way through and will not expand/de-laminate no matter how long it's stored.

J.T.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 pm 

WoW!

That is great, JT !
rc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:00 pm 

Here's the first instalment:-

Lump of clay and some of the tools I use to make a pipe.

Here's the start of the bowl, I use a cigar tube as a former:-

Once the bowl is done to the size you want it push a darning needle through the clay to find the bottom of the cigar tube, this is where the draw hole will be:-

Next I cut the excess clay off to give the rough height of the bowl:-

Roll a tapered sausage of clay for the stem:

Roll the clay out and cut it to suit whatever you're using as a former for the air way - here I'm using a pen refill:-

Use plenty of clay slip when you roll the stem up:-

Here's the rolled up stem, looks like a rawhide dog chew at the moment - just give it time:-

Well that's a start, will try to get the rest up before too long.

J.T.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 pm 

Here's the stem rolled smooth, refill removed. Don't leave it too long before you pull the refill out, if the clay starts to dry out it will stick.

Enlarge the hole in the side of the bowl.

If you're making a straight or bent pipe the stem goes straight in the hole. I'm into Oom Pauls at the moment so I've blocked the end of the stem with clay and put a hole in the side of it. Will be tricky to get a pipe cleaner down this one but that's not a big issue with clay pipes, most of the tar goes into the clay, if they really need to be unblocked I stick them in the wood burner.

Use plenty of slip on both pieces.

Press the pieces together firmly (without squashing the airway) and hold for a minute or so, then use little sausages of clay and plenty of slip to build a fillet in the joint.

Shape the stem.

Remove the cigar tube - twist and pull.

The pipe is pretty soft and fragile at this stage, not to mention numb looking. Even my mouth isn't big enough for that stem. I'll shave the stem down to shape and tidy the bowl up once the clay has firmed up a bit.

It's important not to dry it out quickly, the thin sections will dry first and could crack away from the thicker ones.

Put the pipe in a plastic bag with a small opening in the top and stick it out of the way for a day or so, then it should be about right to shave things down with a sharp knife without the risk of knocking everything out of shape whilst handling it. You want the clay firm but still damp enough to be smoothed out with a bit of water on your finger or the back of a spoon.

That's it for today, I'll post the next step in a couple of days.

J.T.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:58 pm 

Well, that was a long couple of days.

Next thing is to carve the stem to shape and burnish the bowl - a spoon works well to smooth things out.

Just needs a general tidy up then a good dry out and it's time to fire .

Will post the next stage in a couple of days......

J.T.