How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pipe Tobacco Blend
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

Hello All,
I'm looking for some advice relating to pipe tobacco. I'm not planning on growing any - not enough room or time to get a pipe crop going - stretching myself too thinly with the cigar crop....

I was thinking of ordering some 'baccy from LeafOnly - have used them in the past for cigar leaves and am more than satisfied with their product, I can produce a cigar as good as any shop bought I've ever smoked.

Trouble is I just don't know what to order for a good pipe blend. I blend my own pipe mix using Gawith Hoggart tobacco, my usual pipe blend is as follows:-

1oz Dark Flake
1oz No. 5 Blend
1oz Latakia
1/2oz Perique

This stuff smokes really well. Creamy, strong, tasty, no tongue bite.

Was thinking of ordering the following from L.O. :-
Dark Fire Cured
Burley - Aged
American Virginia

I'll add Perique obtained from my local tobacconist.

Any thoughts, advice, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
If I'm slow in posting a reply to any response I'm probably not being rude, just not in the habit of switching the computer on every day.

Cheers,
J.T.

Post subject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Blend
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:37 pm 

Still no advice on this, JT??

Sry, I can't be of any assistance... I don't know much about quality pipe tobacco.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:27 am 

There are a few pipe smokers on http://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php that could answer your questions. They also sell pipe tobacco. http://wholeleaftobacco.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 pm 

Thanks Janetta,
The link to fairtradetobacco is really useful, more posts on the pipe smokers forum than I could shake a stick at. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Best,
J.T.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:42 pm 

Well I joined them the same time I joined this forum. It's a good site but I can't handle being active one more than one site. But I do check in from time to time to read and have a look around. BUUUUT this is the message I get when I log in now....

Fair Trade Tobacco forum
>

vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Ha!, well ain't that a kick in the pants! I think I probably only posted once in there just to introduce myself. I guess maybe if your inactive for an amount of time they kick you out? Sure doesn't make me feel very welcome. :? Oh well. Such is life. I guess I'm not one of the cool kids. 8)

I shoulda listened to Groucho...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:33 pm 

Baylor, it's probably just a glitch in the matrix.

Don is a Good Guy.

Have someone from here send him a PM and ask to be re-instated.

The reason Don left here is because Roy is adamant about remaining a non-commercial site, for particular liability reasons.
rc

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:14 pm 

Know where you're coming from Baylor, I couldn't find the time to be active on more than one forum - just going to read up and benefit - knowledge burglar.

Sorry to hear you've been sine died, I'm sure it must be a glitch as Rusty suggests.

Swapped a sack of kindling for a good lump of clay today, clay pipe making is on the menu. I'll take some 'photos start to finish and post them - could take a while, have a habit of thinking alot and not doing much in a hurry. Good job I'm not a fireman.

J.T.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 pm 

Oh yeah, Im sure its something fishy with the system. I just thought it was kinda amusing. Banned for life for no reason, haha.

Im looking foward to see your progress on that clay pipe, J.T.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:52 pm 

It's going to be a pipe with a mustache. Probably a big handlebar.
Perhaps even a pipe smoking a pipe - the possibilities are endless - the only limit is my lassitude.

Tomorrow I've got to quit procrastinating.

J.T.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 pm 

J.T.Coat wrote:
It's going to be a pipe with a mustache. Probably a big handlebar.
Perhaps even a pipe smoking a pipe - the possibilities are endless - the only limit is my lassitude.

Tomorrow I've got to quit procrastinating.

J.T.

That sounds interesting! So do you cook it in a kiln after you mold it like how we made bowls and ashtrays in art class in school? Does a clay pipe get hot when smoking from or is it just for decorative use?

Thanks to lakota53 for clearing up the banned issue. Very helpful fella. It was just a glitch as RC suggested.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 am 

I read this thread to find out what folks like for pipe smoking. I got more than that... I found Don, I sure missed him, when he left! It is a nice site, I just joined it too.
Okay, my mission was to discover what tobaccos pipe smokers like. I have 50? varieties, so surely several that would work.
I am working on a seed swap with a lady in Africa, and she wants pipe tobacco.

Can you guys offer some suggestions... hopefully, I have some of them on hand... Please!

Okay, pretty please? :D

And I get pepper seeds not suppose to be hot, from Africa... how cool is that?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:11 pm 

Yes, clay pipes are kilned - they're basically pottery. Usually not glazed, though often have a section glazed at the mouthpiece to stop your lips sticking. I don't usually glaze the mouthpiece, just melt a touch of beeswax on and that does the job.

They fire pretty well in a woodburner if you don't have access to a ceramic kiln, just be prepared for a few breakages. The pipe has to be completely dry (dry it slowly or it'll crack). I put the pipe in a plastic bag with the top open and leave it for a couple of weeks, then lay it on the hearth for a couple of days.

When you fire it bring the temperature up slowly - put it in the ash pan under the grate and build a small fire in the grate. Build the fire up - can't say how long to take over it, it's trial and error. You ultimately want a quick fire with alot of hot ash falling into the ash pan.

Again, trial and error - it could get hot enough in the ash pan or you may need to carefully shovel it out on bed of fallen embers an transfer it to the main fire then stoke up with more dry wood.

When you think it's had enough just leave the stove to go out and retreive the pipe when it's cold.

Clay pipes smoke really well - the bowl may get hot to the hand (you can hold the stem), but I find the actual smoke cool. The clay is porous so alot of the tar and gunk soaks in before it gets to the smoker, this darkens the pipe over time.

Definately not just decorative, in fact really good for trying a new blend as a new clay pipe does not impart any flavour to the tobacco.

Good luck on the African seed swap O.L., could be very interesting.

J.T.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:24 pm 

There was a two part article in the Spring and Summer 2000 issues of Pipe and Tobaccos magazine that went into the basic of tobacco strains and blends. I finally got off my lazy keister and scanned it and made a .pdf of it for my records. If you are interested in it (it's about 11mb) shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send a copy off to anybody who is interested.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:28 pm 

Thanks McFortner, that's a really useful article.

What kind of pipes/tobacco do you smoke yourself? Do you blend your own or buy a commercial blend?

J.T.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:42 pm 

Hey Baylor, I noticed that you are no longer banned at ftt forum.

I think that I will just send the lady a selection of tobacco and she can grow what she wants to.