How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silver River - how does it smoke?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:36 am 

Can anyone give me a detailed review of how the Silver River smokes?
In the past two years I've grown cigar strains, but next year I'd like to grow a strain more suitable for cigarettes, ie. lighter smoking than a cigar, would silver river be a good choice? thanks!
btw: I grow only one strain a year, to avoid cross-pollination issues.

Post subject: Re: Silver River - how does it smoke?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 pm 

First...

Better to grow more than 1 strain.
Bag the flowers of 3 or 4 of the best looking plants of each strain.

Silver River is a very interesting plant to grow. I highly recommend it! For entertainment, alone!
Very high resin content on the leaf!!! Super sticky! Insects love it!!!

It air cures easily, may be used without long aging period, and definitely has a menthol note to it.
Some locations, more than others.
Unless you are a menthol smoker, this is NOT a stand-alone strain.
Good for blending. Great for blending!

That, is my opinion!
:-)
rc

Pics of this strain in my 2012 gallery photos...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 am 

Hi Romanko
I think Rusty as hit the nail on the head so to speak lol, the river is one of my new favourites im not sure what it is about this strain but it does have something special about it.
The plant has some strange habits when it comes to flowering it seems to have a mind of its own in this respect, I grew quite a few in a row all in the same soil all feed the same and watered regularly, some tried to flower from the word go in spring some in mid summer some in autumn and some just did not flower, I have to date not worked out what starts the flowing of this strain off, but all that said I don’t think I would be without them now, think I have a soft spot for this one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am 

Silver River is a very interesting plant to grow. but i advise everyone not to do it in him self; no experienced person don't succeed on it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am 

Silver River is a great variety. It cures easily, doesn't require much aging and has a nice mild Burley type flavor with a heavy cedar note. Tastes really good on its own, which is rare. I usually prefer blends to single variety cigarettes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am 

First, you will find, depending on where the leaf is located on the plant (case) that the flavor changes a little. I personally agree with not just growing one variety but I have found that SR is a good "stand alone" tobacco. I can only speak from my own experience so here goes. My first time to grow tobacco was 2009 (refer to page three of the picture gallery) I did not grow SR at the time but the following it true of any tobacco. If you air cure (hang it and walk away) it takes a lot longer to cure and if you smoke it before it is really cured it will have a harsh bite. After three of four months it starts getting better. If you cure in a kiln do yourself a favor and let it cure for about two weeks after the smell changes from weeds to tobacco before smoking it. You can smoke it within days of the change but the kilns we make are usually just what we can find to make them with at the time and really are kilns just because we say they are. I used an old refrigerator, flood light, baby thermometer and a fan. I also had to spray the inside with vanilla every day or two to mask the refrigerator smell.

I was sent SR by a member of this forum to try and really liked it because it has a very slight menthol taste. I am growing it this year along with a few more varieties. I would suggest that you also grow a Virginia so you can mix to manipulate how much nicotine you are smoking at one time. Some varieties are pretty strong.

If you have not started germinating yet and will be growing outside Do it now and germinate two or three times what you need. We all had to start somewhere and we all succeed in one way or another.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:48 pm 

I like the Silver River, also!

As said above, it's pretty easy to deal with.

and, as donh said... it has a cedar note... I have said menthol in the past, but I think cedar might be a better description.

Good for blending in with other baccy to take off the edge... mellow a burley bite just a bit.

rc