How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using fruit to case your tobacco.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:25 am 

I had head around the traps that a slice of potato or other veg/fruit would take your baccy back to case easily and quickly.

Tonight I tried it on some VG/Burley flake, very dry, low case, not quite crisp but too dry to smoke with any flavour. Threw an apple slice into the 100g baggy, about 3oz for you guys and within 3 hours had alot better, more elastic leaf.

Anyone use this method? Any veg fruit to avoid, there was no noticeable apple flavour but the piece was sucked dry so to speak, only skin and solids left. It's night time over here and around 15degC. So heat has not played a part in the uptake of moisture.

It's not quite case so will need another slice tomorow but was impressed with the smoke ability in just a few hours.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Using fruit to case your tobacco.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 am 

Yes, I also use apple or banana peel.
Potato chunk ain't as good as them. strawberries too small.
Best to wrap the bit of fruit in a bit of TP so the baccy can be brushed off it easily and there isn't any rotting of the baccy in immediate contact with it.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 pm 

I'm very new to all this stuff so sorry if the question sounds silly.
But what does (case) mean ?

Thanks in advance,
ED.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:21 am 

Earthdog wrote:
I'm very new to all this stuff so sorry if the question sounds silly.
But what does (case) mean ?

Thanks in advance,
ED.

Case is a word used to describe the moisture content in leaf...for example. ..
'Low case"= dry( crunchy sound when handled..usually only used in cigar filler)."med case"= pliable like leather . . how most tobacco should be.
smokable.(no sound when handled)"high case"= pretty wet..usually cigar wrapper so it stretches tight around cigar binder layer for nice finish. (.has to dry a bit before smokable.)

Pilchard I've heard of other guys that want to bring baccy into case faster mist spraying with distilled water then put in bag or container in microwave for 30 seconds or so..the steam will speed up penatration of moisture into leaf..steam is how alot if big tobacco companies bring there leaf into" case"
Or some just leave it out for the night. .the night/morning moisture will bring it back in to case

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 pm 

Code:
[quote="pilchard"]I had head around the traps that a slice of potato or other veg/fruit would take your baccy back to case easily and quickly.

Tonight I tried it on some VG/Burley flake, very dry, low case, not quite crisp but too dry to smoke with any flavour. Threw an apple slice into the 100g baggy, about 3oz for you guys and within 3 hours had alot better, more elastic leaf.

Anyone use this method? Any veg fruit to avoid, there was no noticeable apple flavour but the piece was sucked dry so to speak, only skin and solids left. It's night time over here and around 15degC. So heat has not played a part in the uptake of moisture.

It's not quite case so will need another slice tomorow but was impressed with the smoke ability in just a few hours.

Cheers.[/quote]

hi

I have shredded a 3#coffee can of tobacco and placed a 1/2 cut potato in it and had it come to HIGH case in 2 days. 3 days and had mold. so be careful a little can go along way fast
To be on safe side might use a wood moisture meter. here they are about $35. 13-15% is best for cigarettes . Lee