How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoking From a Pipe?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 am 

I am an avid enjoyer of good cigars, i have never smoked tobacco from a pipe though. My question is will you still pull the same flavor as you would a cigar? Also if anyone has any recommendations where to buy a pipe and pipe tobacco that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Buck

Smoke Every Cigar Like Its Your Last

Post subject: Re: Smoking From a Pipe?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am 

The same tobacco smoked in a cigar will taste and smell different when smoked in a pipe. I'm not sure why that is though. In a pipe ( to me at least) you get much more flavor than you do from a cigar. A cigar tobacco in a pipe will still taste kind of like a cigar but the taste will definitely be different.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 pm 

So it taste better and you get better quality of flavor through a pipe?

Thanks,

Buck

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 pm 

I like them both. A nice cigar is just as nice as a well packed pipe. Just depends on what I feel like. With the pipe, if you are going to smoke pure tobacco ( home grown that is) then make sure your pipe is cleaned and well maintained or you will start getting an off flavor. When I test a new tobacco that I've grown I smoke it a clean meerschaum pipe so I get only the taste of the pure tobacco strain and nothing else .

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:42 pm 

Okay and online looking at pipes i see alot of pipes with words like "Smooth" in them what does this mean and is there any brand of pipe anyone recommends?

Thanks,

Buck

Smoke Every Cigar Like Its Your Last

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 pm 

pipe smoking is an art and require a little knowledge befor you get a real enjoyment out of it ..

everything from choosing the right pipe , how to pack it , light it an maintain and care for it ..

this link gives you 8 steps and you can get more info by googeling for the art of pipe smoking

http://www.wikihow.com/Smoke-a-Tobacco-Pipe

Hope this will give you some usefull information ..

This site has a more extencive information

http://vegassmokes.com/pipe-smoking-tips.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 pm 

I have had a look at e-bay and there are a lot of nice looking cheap once probably a good place to start befor spending 100+ dollars for a single pipe .. acctually i', going to order a couple to test em out

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=tobacco+pipe&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:54 pm 

Stig wrote:
I have had a look at e-bay and there are a lot of nice looking cheap once probably a good place to start befor spending 100+ dollars for a single pipe .. acctually i', going to order a couple to test em out

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=tobacco+pipe&_sacat=0

Or make your own with bamboo or stuff. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 am 

Personally i reckon get your self a a corn cob pipe its cheap and they arent a bad smoker .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:29 pm 

+1 Stig. There is a lot more to smoking a pipe then just putting fire to it. I am a pipe smoker and in the beginning I tore my mouth up and had many foul experiences. I joined an amazing forum with the best bunch of guys you would ever hope to meet. http://www.pipesmagazine.com .They walked me through being a beginning pipe smoker. Go read and hopefully join up. I would suggest getting a pipe on ebay.. A briar. Or you could pick up a cob for under 10 bucks. There are a couple of pipe tobaccos that contain cigar leaf, one being GL Pease Key Largo. Its under 10 bucks for a 2 oz tin. I strongly suggest trying pipe smoking. Its a great hobby. I'm Shawn622 at pipes magazine. Look me up there. Hell, I'd even send you a pipe and some samples if you are serious. If so PM me your address. If you are worried about me being a spammer or something look me up over at Pipes mag. I'm a regular there. I am really digging this site too. I hope to be a regular eventually. I've been reading in the sidelines for a couple of months but took the plunge and made a profile last week. See you around!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am 

My "pipe" of choice is a water bong.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one on the planet that smokes tobacco this way, but after trying hand-rolled cigarettes and cigars, I find it gives a much smoother, cooler smoke, and it doesn't nearly stink up the room like paper cigarettes do.

I run my leaf through a little crank kitchen shredder, then give it a finer cut with a pair of scissors.
I also religiously keep my pipe clean, emptying the water frequently, and thoroughly cleaning the glass monthly.

The disadvantage of course is that I can't haul my bong around with me and have a smoke just anywhere, but the flip side of that is it puts a limit to my smoking.

On an average smoking day, I maybe go through 5-7 bowls, which would be the equivalent of maybe 3? cigarettes. Plus I avoid exposure to all the chemicals that might be in papers.

Anyone else try this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:10 pm 

I started smoking a pipe within the last year, hopefully i can save you some time and effort ;p

if your not sure about pipe smoking but want to try it id advise you to just pickup a cheep corncob pipe somewhere. can get one for like 10 bucks or less and they smoke surprizingly well.
the next best alternative is a cheep briar pipe that will cost about $35+
DON'T get pulled in by cheep wooden pipes with metal bowls... if you do choose to get a wooden pipe right from the start make sure it says "briar" on it(its the type of wood used).

as for tobacco, I started with a good ol pouch of captian black gold which was recommended to me by a gentleman who happened to be in the store when I bought it.(since your not allowed to browse tobacco products here in ontario... or touch them before purchasing >.>)
It was good, tho a little sweet and plain on its own.
sail "natural" is, although not quite natural, a much more tobacco-tasting smoke with a more old-fashioned sort of flavor that I enjoy.
most pipe tobacco is fairly heavily flavored in some way and quite damp, at least where I am, so be prepaired to let it dry out some.

there is a sort of tecnique to packing a pipe, and many methods out there.
I find it works best if I don't worry about it and just pack my pipe, but your results may vary.
you might want to take a look on youtube to get a general idea of how its done... i recommend looking for videos by a guy named Kel. (username is something like "smokeringspipedreams".... i dont recall exactly)

if you have any more questions just ask, and good luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:20 pm 

I agree with the guys advising corncobs, I've got a couple of Missouri Meerschaum's and they can't be beaten for a good, dry, cool smoke at an affordable price. Smoke mine every day.

For briar pipes have a look at Molina, made in Italy. Very well made, smoke well. Also Mr. Brog, made in Poland. They do pipes in pear wood and briar, haven't tried the pear wood pipes but the briars are great - come with a pretty nasty red toffee apple finish but once it's removed they look good.

If you're having trouble crossing over from cigar to pipe have a go at sticking the last inch and a half of your cigar into a pipe and smoking it. I do this with all of my cigars and am left with nothing but ash.

J.T.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 pm 

I have smoked every type made I think. I prefer My biar that I made into the Churchwarden that I smoke now. I also smoke My cavendish and fresh cured leaf. A good pipe will run well over 250 bucks. Get a blank on line (brier)and make one for under 20 bucks. You will be happy you did. Thats the way You get a high end pipe that You made. Stay with the same tobacco in that pipe to keep it in the range you like. A cigar will last you 10 or so loads when cut. Get the bowl that the stick will slide in, and cut it flush. If you use a pipe for all types of tobacco, go with a cheap one. The flavor will always change. Now the meerchaum pipes will turn a cherry color when it is in it's prime. Very nice pipe clay is perfect in a set back for a great smoke. And with that said, only one type of tobacco in it. Graduate as You go, grow, and learn this art of smoke. And most of all, ENJOY! Mad- I love to grow and blend whole leaf for My pipes.