How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injection tubes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am 

Hey guys.
I’ve never posted here before but I have done allot of reading. I’ve gotten some good information. I’ve been rolling my own tobacco for 20-25 years. I started with rolling with fingers and moved on to an injection machine. I have been using the same brand of tubes for years, but last week I bought a bad box of tubes. They looked the same but they would not fill with my tobacco. After trying to roll 30 to 40 cigarettes. ( roll 5 then take machine apart then try again.) I went thru this for 2 days. I opened up a new box of tubes and they worked. I can’t find anything wrong with these tubes but they obviously have something on them, I just can’t see it. Some chemical.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Post subject: Re: Injection tubes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:50 am 

No, Bull... Haven't had that problem yet ! lol

I use a T2 and premier tubes.
Wore out the toggle mechanism twice in it already. the china metal is just not worth a hoot...

so now I'm using a rizla thumb roller til I get the T2 rebuilt, again...

What were your tubes doing?
all my probs have been from the shred. gotta get it right, and the moisture of the baccy.
I guess my burley is a bit tough on the injector machine???

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:57 pm 

Hi
i have a machine from china, the packing volume is determined by an arm that puts pressure on the tube the tighter the arm the more compact the fill, some tubes are too tight and solardly fill the tube and sometimes they burst, i have emery papered down the tube od seems ok now
graham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm 

grahamxx wrote:
Hi
i have a machine from china, the packing volume is determined by an arm that puts pressure on the tube the tighter the arm the more compact the fill, some tubes are too tight and solardly fill the tube and sometimes they burst, i have emery papered down the tube od seems ok now
graham

There are sometimes big variations in tube diameter. I quit using zig zag tubes after getting several boxes that had 20% - 25% that were too small to fit the nozzle of my supermatic injector. I was in a tobacco shop today and saw a serious shortage of 100mm tubes. According to the employee present there was a problem with tubes they had that were made in Austria and they were sent back to the distributor. They would rip and split when used.

I find thicker tubes like zig zag (good box without the undersize tubes), hot rod, and zen (currently my preferred tube) inject better than thinner paper tubes like gambler. They inject smoother, have less filter gap, and hold up to tapping when you have to eliminate a filter gap. They also seem to hold up better when it's humid - they don't collapse as easily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
It takes a little practice but I make them work

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:09 pm 

dkh2 wrote:
It takes a little practice but I make them work

I'm not criticizing gambler tubes. They're good tubes with minimal added taste. Even so, the thin paper tubes seem to grab the tobacco more and if the tobacco is a bit moist or the ambient humidity is high there's more clumping. The thicker paper tubes inject smoother.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 am 

Hey Guys.
The tubes I have been using are Gambler Filter Kings. When I use up my supply of them I am going to try the primier tubes.
The tube would slip off the nozzle, sometimes only 25% loaded. It did not seem to make any difference if it was tight or loose. At first I thought it was the machine.
The machine is a Top-O-Matic, made in china. But so far I’ve had good luck with it. Rolls a carton in about 45 minutes. My stand- by hand machine is a zig zag roller. It is quite a bit slower. It is made in Indonesia. I don’t know of any rolling machine made in the USA but I will check on that

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:15 pm 

They may have changed but back in 2006 when I bought my first slide injector I tried a box of premier tubes. They were the worst tubes I've ever used due to a chemical smell and taste. When they're available at the local tobacco shop I buy the 250 count boxes of zen tubes ($3.30). They're a nickel cheaper than the 200 count gambler tubes ($3.35). I use 100mm tubes.

Last edited by tekwyzrd on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm 

I run the T2 packer with Gambler tubes with absolutuly no problems.We're talkin 300 cigs a week over 2yrs and all homie baccy.
The baccy needs to be in just the right case for things to go good and i actually don't depend on the little rubber grabber.Instead i use my thumb has the grabber and rest the other fingers on the grabbar(i have big hands with no holes in my thumb yet :lol: )

If the baccy's case is too high the machine will let you know has it will seem mushy to operate.Solution:pop it the mike for a minute or less and let cool.If it's too dry it could rip the paper around your thumb support but always should pack full and tight.

During the heat and humility of summer i store ground baccy in the freezer.

$2.50 a carton i ain't complainin

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:50 pm 

I recently quit smoking cigarettes, but while I still was, I used almost exclusively ZEN tubes. I tried 2-3 other brands that were slightly cheaper but they were junk. ZEN's cost $2.75 per carton, but they are 250 count instead of 200. In essence they are about $2.10 per actual carton. They are much better than anything else in their price range. It's not worth smoking a half crappy ciggs to save $.50 per carton. My total cost using commercial baccy was $.75 per pack.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:40 pm 

Dredged up an old thread, huh!

Fooled me for a second or two... I saw Tax in there...
He's a nice fellow and an excellent grower!!!

I used Premier tubes cuz they were cheep at 3 buck for a 200 count carton's worth.
don't know if they sold zen locally, but they did have some that were a buck or two more per carton...

I'm too cheap!
rc