How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone try smoking tobacco flowers?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:02 pm 

How do they taste?

Post subject: Re: Anyone try smoking tobacco flowers?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:08 pm 

Its been talked about before. and i think they are similar to crap maybe followed closely by yuck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:05 pm 

I've done it, I was not impressed. Don't seem to have much nic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I'd rather torch up a pine cone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 pm 

I collected a mixed batch of brown, shriveled blossoms from a number of varieties, placed them into an Agribon-AG15 bag, then hung it in my shed. After they were completely dried, I sent them to my kiln, where they will stay for 6 weeks. They will come out on 9/26/2011. I'll try them in a small pipe, and post my opinion at that time. I didn't keep records of it, but I believe they are a mixture of Little Dutch, Shirazi, Bafra and Comstock Spanish--maybe some others too. But since I completely removed the bud bag from the Little Dutch, in order to photograph the pods, this batch is probably 75% Little Dutch blossoms. Purportedly, Little Dutch has a unique aroma in the field. I have been unable to detect any difference in the aroma of the plant or its blossoms in the field, when compared to the other 15 varieties I've grown this season.

As an aside: The copy-paste descriptions of Little Dutch in many websites repeats the assertion of two 19th century authors (Billings and Killebrew), who reported that it smells like "the Yara tobacco grown in eastern Cuba," while growing in the field. GRIN has no record of "Yara" tobacco in any of its accession documents--dating back to about 1913. No-one offers "Yara" seed. Maybe it ceased to exist by the early 20th century, when USDA began to collect seed. My guess is that Yara was a primitive class of tobacco, and is one of several "primitive" accessions from Cuba, but lacking appropriate labeling in GRIN.

(I may leave the remaining browned blossoms inside the other bud bags, while the pods dry in the shed--inside their respective bags. There is likely a half-pound of them. If the first batch of kilned blossoms are worth all the fuss, then I'll collect all of the others from the bud bags, perhaps sorted by variety, and kiln them as well.)

The old men of the Hidatsa Indian tribe used to lightly fry them in buffalo fat, then smoke them. The blossoms do have nicotine, especially if they are allowed to mature and brown on the plant. The dried blossoms give off a mild, pleasant aroma similar to some of the more fragrant Turkish varieties of tobacco. The Agribon bud bags--32 of them--have caught all of them, and dried them and kept them in the sun and wind.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 am 

Flowers smoke great. I don't understand all this negative talk about them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:28 pm 

I hung unto a fair amount of Burley flowers. I decided to let them dry, and age for a bit.

They tasted, well... somewhat odd for lack of a better word.

Maybe had I used them as part of a blend, (a small part) it might have turned out better.

I did not enjoy smoking the flowers, and the whole experiment was a bit of a let down.

Your mileage may vary, who knows? Maybe you will enjoy the way the flowers taste. You won't know for sure unless you try it I suppose.

I will stick to smoking my leaf instead. I find it much more pleasant to my palette.

- Bullseye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am 

Do the seeds pop? Maybe at dark it will look like a micro fire works. LOL
I never thought of smoking them, Maybe not board yet.