How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tobacco good for chickens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:49 am 

DD

Most people around here do things as easy and naturaly as possable as they can . But I'll admitt I never heard of the nicotine keep birdy clean deal untill you mentioned it .

Hey if it works go for it . If them birds start laying soft eggs just feed them the egg shells . If they start layin hard eggs just boil them suckers and call them natural hard boiled :roll: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:10 am 

Hi

My wife is constantly telling of the differant plants that her folks used to keep ticks fleas etc off of themselves and dogs. some things like dog fennel in the dog house to keep off fleas. I cannot remember them all but she grew up with that and had to pick those plants so she knows. Ever once in while we be walking somewhere and she will say that is ------ it will repeal mosquitos etc. me if it was all rit up in book I would forget where book is. but it kinda makes sense. Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 pm 

Well, they aren't chickens, but I was reading a very old mouse fancy manual and similarly, they used to dust their mice with tobacco powder for lice, ticks, fleas and the like. I was pretty surprised, I'd have thought mice would be small enough to risk nicoteine poisoning from that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:37 am 

I don't doubt that tobacco would help keep pest off the chickens, but my chcikens eat anything and I would be afraid they would get too much nicotine from any tobacco I put in there with them.
I know they will eat it as this past summer as I was plucking off excess flower buds, they would be right at the fence staring at me like "Give us some!" so I tossed a couple buds in as a joke thinking they would taste one and leave it, but them hens fought over it and gobbled it right up and seemed to be asking for more.
maybe if I powder up all the unsmokable stuff I have then I can use it as a dusting powder with same effects without worries of them getting too much in their system