How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pipe Tobacco for cig's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:07 am 

Hi everyone,this is my first post so I hope I have it in the right place. After buy a carton of cig's for $49.95 the other day I have figured out that is just to much for me. So I bought a Powermatic 2 machine,a can of Prince Albert pipe tobacco,and zen 100mm tubes. What I do is nuke some baccy @45 sec at a time X3 and let set for a min between each nuke to dry it out. Works great so for for me. What my question's are>>>
1) Is it safe to nuke the tobacco and dry it out some?
2) Is pipe tobacco safer then cig tobacco? (chemical wise)
3) What happens if the tobacco is to dry?

Thanks for the help,suggestion welcome!

Post subject: Re: Pipe Tobacco for cig's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:50 pm 

I think it is safe to microwave tobacco. Prince Albert isn't all that wet to begin with so I'd imagine it wouldn't need much drying, if at all. Another way to dry tobacco quickly is to place it in a bowl on top of another container of hot water. Probably won't work for a largish quantity but for a couple of bowls or cigarettes it works well.

My opinion is that pipe tobacco isn't safer than cigarette tobacco. Pipe tobacco may or may not have as many additives as cigarettes but the harm is mostly created when you burn tobacco and if you're inhaling it into your lungs repeatedly, then the harmful effects accumulate. I think one of the reasons pipe tobacco could be regarded as less harmful, is due to the fact that it is not normally inhaled and if only smoking a moderate amount, like a couple bowls a day, then I'd say the harm done is fairly minimal. If you want a less harmful tobacco experience you might want to investigate smokeless tobacco like Swedish snus or nasal snuff as an alternative to smoking.

If the tobacco is too dry then it might burn quicker and hotter, making it more harsh. It'll also crumble to dust if too dry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:39 am 

I never had much luck with the PA. Burn rate wasn't so good.
They sell cheap 'pipe tobacco' by the pound, or 12 oz bags which has a better burn rate and to this day, I frequently mix a certain amount of it with my homegrown. Just for an improved burn rate...
Probably no need to microwave... just make up ur ciggies and set them out to dry, on the table, in an open container.
That should help?
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:25 am 

AntipodeanNuuskaTrip wrote:
I think it is safe to microwave tobacco. Prince Albert isn't all that wet to begin with so I'd imagine it wouldn't need much drying, if at all. Another way to dry tobacco quickly is to place it in a bowl on top of another container of hot water. Probably won't work for a largish quantity but for a couple of bowls or cigarettes it works well.

My opinion is that pipe tobacco isn't safer than cigarette tobacco. Pipe tobacco may or may not have as many additives as cigarettes but the harm is mostly created when you burn tobacco and if you're inhaling it into your lungs repeatedly, then the harmful effects accumulate. I think one of the reasons pipe tobacco could be regarded as less harmful, is due to the fact that it is not normally inhaled and if only smoking a moderate amount, like a couple bowls a day, then I'd say the harm done is fairly minimal. If you want a less harmful tobacco experience you might want to investigate smokeless tobacco like Swedish snus or nasal snuff as an alternative to smoking.

If the tobacco is too dry then it might burn quicker and hotter, making it more harsh. It'll also crumble to dust if too dry.

Thanks for the reply. My problem is I enjoy smoking,been doing it for 40 year now.I don't want to go to using smokeless.The reason I am trying pipe tobacco is that I can get it online and its cheaper then cig tobacco.It cost $25 for a 14oz can.Only problem I see with it so far is there is alot of stems in it and it kinda dry's my mouth out some.It is pretty wet,it hard to put into the tubes and clumps up my machine if I don't dry it some.I might have to check a local smoke store and see how much they sell cig tobacco for.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am 

rustycase wrote:
I never had much luck with the PA. Burn rate wasn't so good.
They sell cheap 'pipe tobacco' by the pound, or 12 oz bags which has a better burn rate and to this day, I frequently mix a certain amount of it with my homegrown. Just for an improved burn rate...
Probably no need to microwave... just make up ur ciggies and set them out to dry, on the table, in an open container.
That should help?
Best
rc

I find the burn rate is very good so far.Do you have a web site for the cheap tobacco and what brand you mention?I have to dry it out first in order to get it into my tubes.I hope to try to do some homegrown maybe soon.Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:04 pm 

Don't know website... I buy it local.

Red River pipe tobacco comes in a bag, I think 12oz for $16us otd.
Got another bag here, the Good Stuff, premium pipe tobacco Red, 6oz, price unknown to me...
google search em, if you wish.

It's possible to buy leaf tobacco which has not been processed on ebay, for about $16 a pound...
rc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:25 pm 

:) Ok thank you very much,I will see what I come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 am 

Ok a problem,I am trying to send a pm and it keeps saying that I am trying to send to to many ppl. But I am only sending to one member! Any suggestions on the problem?