How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my leaves are being retarded
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:26 pm 

so i harvested some tobacco(nicotiana glauca) and the leaves arent driyng right. im trying the sun curing but the leaves get super dry that they almost crumble. AND the leaves are drying green. what im wondering is what am i doing wrong? i dont think its too hot because i live right next to the sea. also i remember reading that some toobacco strains are green when ripe. is this the case with tree tobacco? i figured the green leaves were ripe because the snapped off like celery. any help is greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: my leaves are being retarded
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:36 pm 

I'm not 100% sure if the Nicotiana glauca actually can be used for smoking, I believe it is considered to be a weed. It is Nicotiana tabacum or rustica you want. That aside, if your leaves are drying green then it will be because they're drying too quickly. This could be due to high temperature or low humidity or a combination of both.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:49 pm 

I don't know any thing about Nicotiana glauca tree tobacco, but did a quick search on it..
I was thinking maybe I could quite my addiction with it:)
Just kidding. I like my nicotine:)

Nicotiana glauca tree tobacco

Product: Nicotiana glauca
Latin Name: Nicotiana glauca
Common Name: Tree Tabacco

Nicotiana glauca leaves are organically grown and harvested by hand by the native people.
The leaves have been cured.
Smoking the leaves of the nicotiana glauca plant have been said to curb addictions as strong as heroine on top of being somewhat hallucinogenic.
Studies are ongoing at this time.
The effects of the plant seem to satisfy the mental and physical craving while also deminishing the physical addictions of some addicts.
Studies of Nicotiana to be used as a treatment for nicotine addiction since it does not contain nicotine are ongoing. Nicotiana glauca's active ingredient is anabasine--an alkaloid similar to nicotine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:01 pm 

i think it might be because of low humidity(which is weird cuz i live right by the ocean). what do i do to dry/cure them? also, is it possible that the leaves could normally be green for this species? come to think of it, i saw a dead tobacco tree about a foot tall and the dried leaves were tan/almost brown. so i guess this means it is possible to sun cure them in my climate. now the qeustion is what the poop am i doing wrong and how do i fix it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:12 pm 

I've heard confliciting reports about Tree tobacco.

Some sources say it is a beautiful tree whose leaves containly hardly any nicotine. Other's say it's affects on the body are worse than regular tobacco and isn't safe. To dry the leaves properly, you need to have them in an enviroment that isn't as dry as your climate. It's not normal to have leaves dry green, that is if you want to smoke them. Tipically you cure leaves via fermenting in a chamber, but there many orental strains that are sun curred. If you really tobacco good for smoking, you should grow a common one such as a burley type.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 pm 

ya im considering rustica. but i still want to figure this gluaca situation out. im trying to dry the leaves in a nother spot with more sun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 pm 

Could you hang the whole plant so the leaves aren't cut off from moisture so quickly? Ocean breezes could accelerate drying. Have you tried hanging them or drying them in piles to slow down the moisture loss? How about drying them on the grass with a plastic cover. It would sweat them and mositure from the ground would help too.

fatso wrote:
so i harvested some tobacco(nicotiana glauca) and the leaves arent driyng right. im trying the sun curing but the leaves get super dry that they almost crumble. AND the leaves are drying green. what im wondering is what am i doing wrong? i dont think its too hot because i live right next to the sea. also i remember reading that some toobacco strains are green when ripe. is this the case with tree tobacco? i figured the green leaves were ripe because the snapped off like celery. any help is greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 pm 

i like the idea of hanging them upside down. theres this one tree i want thats about 14 freaking feet tall with alot of nice flowers. could i just cut it down and dry it propped up?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 pm 

I haven't any experience with N. glauca, but I have tried both priming and stalk cutting two other wild species (N. trigonophylla and N. rapanda) that are native to my area. They just dry green either way. You can try putting the fresh green leaf in a sealed plastic bag until it yellows and then hanging it up to air cure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:48 pm 

i did just that with a few leaves and they dried yellow in the bag