How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaves that have dried green
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:02 am 

I had some leaves dry green is there any thing I can do to save them. They where ripe with yelow spots but I had too much fan on them where they touched each other has truned brown but the out side edges are green. I don't have my kiln done yet is that one way to save them?

Post subject: Re: Leaves that have dried green
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 am 

I would bring them back into heavy case and dry them again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:17 am 

Hi --

I had some leaves with a small amount of green on them when they dried crispy and after three months hanging, the green is gone replaced by a darker color than the yellow part of the leaf. I just mix them in with other leaf to smoke and can't really tell they are there. This is leaf that hasn't gone through my kiln.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 am 

No need to panic - I got the same thing goin’ on with a few of mine… sorta a ugly grayish-green. But, as long as the stems or ribs still have moisture there’s still hope, I think… just don’t rush it and do what wydebol suggested… s l o w l y d r y
I think as first-timers we’re really anxious to suck those things into our lungs, so we crank up whatever we have to crank to get those babies dry, which is one reason they may dry too fast and too green.

Anticipating cooler weather I made a nice little corner in my garage into an oxygen tent, heheh, where I have more control of heat, humidity and ventilation. Of course after last weeks storm and transporting my entire harvest into the garage, the weather is perfectly beautiful for drying tobacco outside… we actually have humidity!!

I think what I’m sayin’ is, there’s no fine wine before its time or somethin’ like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:36 pm 

I put a dried green leaf on a wet towel on top of my heat pad over night and it was all brown this morning. So I put three green leaves in a plastic bag on the pad with a towel over them and in six hours did the trick the green was gone. I'm wondering if you put them in a kiln will that do the same thing. I don't have my kiln done yet so if that works I won't bag them all but I'll run them in the kiln when I get it done and skip the extra step of the heat pad. what say you that have been through this.
On a side note I just checked what kind of tobacco I was using to test this out and it was brown leaf tobacco :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm 

In flue curing, the first step after packing the container/barn is to gently/slowly raise the temp by 2 degrees an hour until it gets to 100, then leave it there until all the color changes to yellow or brown, then raise slowly to 120 to fix the color, then raise slowly again to 135 until all leaf lamina was dry, then raise it to 165 until the stem is dry. With ripe tobacco, each step is guesstimated to take 48 hour with the middle two steps taking 48 hours combined as one step.

I'm using a 150 quart coleman cooler, 75 watt heating element, lower thermostat from water heater, quart bowl with small bar towels hanging from rack into water for humidity, small fan, and 6 racks from two 4 tier rack system inside the cooler to layer my tobacco and give air spaces. Anyway, leaves that are almost ripe turn yellow inside of 3 days. Leaves from "yellow orinoco" which were barely mature took 8 days and when straight from green to brown. I can't get to 165 F, but leaving it an extra day or two at max (135 F) does the trick in drying the stem. Thus far all my tobacco has come out with a grassy taste.

My next step is to pull it when dry and keep putting batches in until I have many hands worth, then putting it all back in to ferment. Haven't done it yet, so don't know how it'll work. This method usiing single leaf layering on the racks only allows about 1 plant at a time to be done. Next time I'll double layer the leaves, but I think that's the max I can put through it. Need bigger container.

Any, the answer to your question is "Yes", put it in the kiln at 100F until yellow. Wetbulb temps should be 95 and RH should be around 82.

Last edited by SC Yankee on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:05 pm 

Mickey, did you dampen them before putting in the bag?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:16 pm 

Yes I dipped the leaf in a big pot of hot water and then pit them in the bag. But I would like to know if this step is necessary or not. I guess when I get the kiln done I'll find out. Because I need to get to making a press and a shredder and the kiln, so I have allot to do yet. I just copied the photos or that combination press and cutter on the other site and have plans to work on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 am 

I am fermenting the green leaves and some have turned brown. Some turned a funny looking brown and some still kinda green, this depends how green they were to begin with. This is an observation after 5 days in the kiln.

I'm not sure why people are using this plastic bag method, put them in your kiln.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 am 

I will when I get my kiln finished.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:02 pm 

mickey wrote:
I put a dried green leaf on a wet towel on top of my heat pad over night and it was all brown this morning. So I put three green leaves in a plastic bag on the pad with a towel over them and in six hours did the trick the green was gone.

Wow mickey, that’s revolutionary! Drying green is a major concern and issue… I mean we’ve got people soaking roots and leaf stems in sugar water to burying ‘em in the ground for several weeks!
If a heating pad and wet towel solves the “green” problem in a few hours, well indeed that is good news!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:06 pm 

Very good news. Are you gonna keep them separate from the other leaf to see if they smoke different?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 pm 

Yes I'm doing just a few on the heating pad until I get my kiln done. then I'll comparer the ones done in the kiln. so I;ll have green ones done in the kiln and the ones done on the heating pad and the ones that dried right. so I'll have three batch's of the brown leaf tobacco to test. My concern was if the ones that dried green and done on the heating pad to remove the green would be as good as the leaves that dried right.
I;m hoping that the heating pad to remove the green works out, if the kiln don't work out to remove the green and it don't harm the quality of the leaf.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 pm 

Cool, looking forward to the results. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:09 am 

I had the same problem and found a similar solution as mickey:

The leaves were drying completely green. The next round of leaves I put in a bag inside the house - one bag in a warm place the other in a cooler place. The bag in the warm place made the leaves turn completely dark brown in a couple of days (I opened the bag each day to freshen the leaves and dry the excessive moisture).

I am still waiting for the result in the other bag which I put in a cooler place, but I can already see the leaves turning yellow in that bag also.

This is actually exactly what Alex suggests to use, it's called Sweating to colour cure:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114