How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apples and ethylene for better color curing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:43 pm 

I don´t know if discussed here already but I did not find and I guess it will be usefull Info for many:

You can use apples with a strong smell for getting far better results in colour curing, especially if temps are too low.

This results from ethylen-gas, which some kind of apples - the strong smelling usually red-"flamed" ones - emit in impressive amounts.

Ethylen (or ethen) is used in some countrys for better results in colour curing with expensive machines - but some boxes of apples will do the same for us (when you can smell it in the curing room, it will work).

In other countrys there might be similar good working fruits for that purpose.

Post subject: Re: Apples and ethylene for better color curing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:02 am 

Hello,that is interesting. Can you explain how you do it with apples ? I use apples to ripen the last tomatoes of the season. I just put green tomatoes and apples together in a basket and it works. What is the procedure with tobacco?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:19 am 

Hello Marie.

It´s pretty much the same than with tomatoes.

I put some boxes with verry ripe apples - preferably a cultivar with a lot of red and strong smell - under the hanged tobacco.

If you can smell the apples it is usually (more then) enough.

This year we lost our early apples because of heavy drought early in the year - so I asked other people for the apples that felt down and that they don´t use.

I guess I have only 20 Kg but color curing started well, before there was no really progress for some days because of drought.

You should pick them either or ask people with gardens - commercially sold apples have far less ethylen emission due to their treatment.

Preferably you want to use the fallen or overripe ones (but not foul !) - the ones many people don´t want to use.

greetings

Permaculturer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm 

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do that. I have 3 apple trees in my garden.
Have a nice day