How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gardening blog ~ Newbie Greenhouse grower :)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:25 pm 

Hey Guys!

Sam here. After my first trial batch of Black Mammoth tobacco plants went downhill, after the misses dropped something on them and they flew everywhere, I started my second batch, which are going amazing!

I decided that I wasn't going to stop there, and that I loved growing my own and knowing exactly where it all came from so much, that I would start growing everything and anything that I could.

I'm also going to make this blog as fun as possible, lots of pics, and hope to have some growing competitions with fruits+veges+tobacco plants etc with some other growing enthusiasts out there!

List of what I'm currently growing: (and what variety of that plant, which I will post more info on and pics of when I get home)
Tobbaco
- Silver River
- Black Mammoth
- Burley-21
- Bursa
- Vesta 64
- Havana
Lettuce
Broccoli
Strawberries
Raspberries
Tomatoes
Dwarf Sunflowers
Passionfruit
Parsley
Chilli's
Silverbeet

Am planning to grow:
Carrots
Potatoes
Kumara
Watermelon
Grapes
(and a few more)

Will post pictures and all when I get home and hope that some other keen gardeners will post along with me!

Last edited by Rianaku on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Gardening blog ~ Newbie Greenhouse grower :)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 pm 

Sounds like you are having great fun with this, Sammy.
I'll be interested how the kumara comes out for you.

We grew potatoes last year, and most were small, but had excellent flavor, and texture.
Maybe we will try kumara next year.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 am 

Hey RC!
Oh hell, I have! haha

I don't personally like kumara tbh. Because of the texture of it, but it's a big hit here in New Zealand and all the family love it so will attempt to grow some, as they've all been hounding me too anyway!

Yeah, I loooove potatoes, am considering growing in a pot like this:

Which is a 50L round pot. What did you try growing in RC?

Anyway, pics of the start of my greenhouse adventure!

2 of each of the tobacco plant varieties I have:

bad shot of a few things:

right hand shelves:

better shot of the right hand shelves:

passion fruit plant, swan plant and some chilli/parsley seeds in peat pot germinaters on a tray, and a sneaky shot of tomatoes down bottom: (also my tobacco germination tray before I threw most of them out)

my biggest baby tobacco plant (black mammoth):

some baby black mammoth tobacco plants:

my beautiful strawberry plants: (mmmm... strawberries...)

my passionfruit plant:

raspberry bush:

(from left to right) lettuce, silverbeet and broccoli:

swan plant, and some dwarf sunflower seeds in germination peat pots:

four chill seeds and 3 parsley seeds in germinating peat pots:

two capsicum plants:

my six baby tomato plants:

peak in the greenhouse after we put it up:

front of the greenhouse: (2m height - 1.5m width - 1.25m depth)

So that's my start, anyone else care to tag along with me? Maybe a little friendly competition? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:44 am 

That sure is nice and clean and pretty, Sammy!
I should try that...
it would be really difficult for me!

I just grow in the dirt.
Here's about where she grew the potatos 2 yrs ago.

I keep trying to improve this soil!
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:14 am 

Just give in like I did with the trench outside my room, dig it all up, fill it with soil haha. Expensive but it bloody worked!

Few updates on the greenhouse project

Transplanted my lettuce, broccoli and silverbeet into 2L bag pots:

Went out into the garden and picked me some dandelion seeds pods, plucked the seeds and started germination of a handful in each bag pot (to grow some dandelions for my Rabbits):

And just an update on my Black Mammoth tobacco plants (which are absolutely going for it in their peat pots, and in the greenhouse, in fact I have been able to see new growth every day now!):

Have ordered a few seeds off of Trade Me (New Zealand's own version of Ebay).
I have ordered:
Red acre cabbages
Paris market heirloom carrots
Crisp head lettuce
Mini white cucumbers
Dwarf minibelle cherry tomatoes
&
Catnip (for my cats of course, most of our four cats love it, but my partner's cat, LOVES it, he comes in every night and sits on my bed side table because he know it's in there and stares at me until I get it out!)

Anyone know much about carrots?
What are my limitations on pot growing for them?
I want to grow them in pots. I have a packet of baby carrot type seeds, long skinny, but shorter than "Normal" carrots, and have some seeds for small round fat ones (as I mentioned above).
Can I grow in a pot? Or even 2L plastic bottles that I have blacked out so they're not see through.

Same goes with mini white cucumbers, anyone know much about them?
Will be growing most of my stuff in pots, and I know there's a way to grow anything in a pot if done correctly, and I'm going to try, help or no help, but any info would be highly appreciated. :)

SammyB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:23 am 

Hi
Sammy Growing in pot is same as growing in a SMALL raised bed. Carrots are 16 per square ft. same with radish. Cucumbers are 2 per square ft. look at top or bottom of bucket to guesstimate size in sq. ft. 5 U S Gal/ bucket about 1 square ft.
Pick up a book called "all new Square Foot gardening" Mel Bartholomew. copy right update 2005. It is all about raised bed gardening.
Since pots are just small raised beds it works for them too. It list how many plants per square foot. when to plant. may answer a lot of questions. It lists a soil mix , But I very a little from it. It is all organic ,but i sometimes use a miricle grow tomato fertilizer. Never saw a used one in thrift stores but might find one in used book store . sells at Lowes here. I got a real good price Neighbor bought and gave it to me for birthday in 06"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 am 

Are you wanting to grow all you have there in that greenhouse? If so it is a little small. I had a nursery for many years and my hot houses were 6x20m at the lower end up to 50x20m and even then we couldn't get perfect temp graphs. I grew orchids and the graphs needed to read smooth. With what you have already in the greenhouse/hothouse I would think it will grow to full. Are you moving plants out to a garden bed?

For best results using a hot house you want gradual heat loss and uptake. Put some buckets of water all over the floor to STORE heat for you overnight and keep the door open a lot all the way in the warm part of the day you don't want a sauna, but a slightly warmer temp than outside. 5-10degC warmer than the day temps and close it up as the sun goes off it or an hour before to store the warmth. Without something to hold that heat eg buckets of water it will disperse very quickly over night.

In our big greenhouses we used compost to generate night heat and in the smaller ones foam boxes full of water to hold the heat generated in the day.

Plants have a perfect growing temp where they take up nutrients and transpire at a peak, most of which is below 30degC. In climates like Australia and NZ these requirements are hard to meet perfectly outside in an open environment even more so in a closed environment like a hot house.

Hemp for example grows best between 22 and 26 degC above and below those temps and the plant is growing but not under optimum conditions.

Tobacco is slightly higher into the 25-30 deg range. Yesterday there will be growth but the optimal is within those ranges and the best growth is achieved in those temp specific ranges.

Sorry for the long winded post but heat is not always better. I have not even touched on relative humidity and airspace in soils.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 am 

a lot of good info!
I would really like to have a greenhouse!

Those little peat pots... coir... whatever they are... you must bust the bottom out when putting it in the soil.
The hole in the bottom is not big enough and they do not degrade fast enough when transplanted.
A friend discovered this... lol ...he gave me whole bunch of them... I basically use them for compost.

Maybe... instead of using those plastic soil bags.... I tried making small germinating pots by wrapping newspaper round a drinking glass. It worked pretty good. better than the peat pots. and cheaper.

Fun projects!
rc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 am 

Cheers for the info Pilchard! I have been opening the door in the morning before I leave and close them an hour or two before the heat dies off in the afternoon. I also have been storing water in there too, but will now grab some buckets and store them with water! :)

I will be taking all of the bigger plants (tobacco, tomatoes, raspberry, passionfruit) out of the greenhouse after they're big enough and once I have moved my greenhouse up to the spot we're preparing up the back of the house so it will be on soil and I will have room for a few raised beds and to put pots every where.

I realise that a lot of the point of having the greenhouse is not for the heat, as to why I open the doors at least half way up unless it's a cold day. But warmer conditions are good for at the moment as our natural temps are still a little low, and I try not to fully open the door as the winds are getting out of hand and flow right into the greenhouse.

I'm going to be getting a thermometer/hydrometer next week so I can accurately monitor the temps too, so I can keep them in an optimum range (20-25degC)

Cheers for the info by the way :) Still a newbie grower, and any info is much appreciated!

@smbdyiam - I will do some internet research on raised beds, as I'm going to be building some wooden ones once I move my greenhouse to its new location. But would love to try some new things, eg growing carrots in pots.

@RC - Yeah, I had never seen the pots before, just thought I'd give them a whirl and tbh, they seem to be working pretty well. And the 2L bag pots I have are working well too, especially because it only cost me $8NZD for 100 of the suckers!
So don't worry RC I'm a bit of a bargain hunter too, prefer to make something myself than buy it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 am 

Update:

First two dwarf sunflower plants poking through, a lot faster than anticipated to be honest. Supposed to take 1-2 weeks, and has been exactly a week and they're out;

plant 1:

plant 2:

Just a nice little shot of one side of the house. :)

Have also moved my passionfruit plant to around the back of the house as I think the temps in the greenhouse were just too much, and the leaves were starting to go brown on a few of the tips. Will monitor it over the next week and see how it goes in its new spot, which is in indirect sunlight and out of the wind.

SammyB -

Edit:
Could the tips of the leaves browning be due to nutrients in too higher quantities or too early in the stage of the plants life?
I remember encountering a similar problem whilst growing "Hemp". Was adding too many nutes and the leave went a browny orange and started curling up. But The passionfruit leaves are just developing brown through the leaves, will take a picture tomorrow and do some research on it. SammyB - Out

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:55 pm 

Did a bit of research on the Passionfruit plant, and from what I read, I gathered that the brown/yellowing of the leaves occurs because the plant is in need of citrus food. Which is what I feed it shortly before the plant starting yellowing its leaves? :?

So I scooped half of the citrus food out, then mixed what was still in there with some compost mix, gave it a nice water and put it on the bottom tier of my greenhouse on the sunnier side.
I also snipped a few of the really bad yellowing leaves, hoping it'll stop focusing on them and start powering through with it's new set of growth all over it.
With a little bit of luck she'll start going like the rest of my plants.

My Black Mammoth tobacco plants are still growing bit by bit every day. Have noticed once they get to a certain stage, provided they have good sun, heat and water they just take off! Have doubled in size within a week, and the amount they're growing seems to be more and more every day! Although one of them just isn't doing anything. It got burnt one day in the sun and both of its leaves curled up but I left her going, kept her out of the sun, kept her watered and one of its leaves came back to life but one of them didn't? :? That confused me a litte, and it hasn't grown one bit since then, but also hasn't died off? Is in good sun, light, not too much heat and has a perfect mixture of soil and compost. But I'm going to have to throw a few of them Black Mammoth's as I only want two of each strain anyway, but by the looks of it, I'm going to have a few more of them, so may just end up keeping all the good ones, and place the excess in the garden some where that I can find some space, haha. The Black Mammoth really is quite an attractive plant with such round, attractive leaves tbh.

SammyB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

IMO

Do not toss any plants.
You may wish you had them on down the road!
If they..... yes, they WILL get too big for your greenhouse... transplant them outdoors somewhere. Anywhere!
Do a guerrilla grow if you must! Keep an eye on them and take a jug of water by every few days, in the evening.
rc

You are over-thinking all this, Sammy.
It's not rocket science. It's botany.
These things take time.
Read a lot, and just watch them grow!
:-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 pm 

Yeah, I realise that RC, but was just weird the way the passion fruit plant grew. I will be planting my tobacco plants in grow bags outside as soon as they're ready.

And of course I'm going to overthink it, always overthink things. It's the way I get things done, my mind is always ticking away. IMO there's always a reason, and that reason can always be found. And sometimes it just takes a little thought ;)

SammyB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:51 pm 

Ok
Just remember the hardest thing to do is nothing. Can't tell when done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:36 pm 

Yeah, true that. Just gives me something to do really.