How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question to make a step up...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

I am considering a step up, from hobby gardener, to small commercia on rented land.

Would you be able to reccommend a tractor I might want to use?

I have a troy bult horse, and a couple ded garden tractors in need of repair...

Perhaps a Kubota?
What size? which model?

How much would I expect to pay?

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,
very much!
rc

Post subject: Re: Question to make a step up...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 pm 

I looked at a Farmall A that actually came with a number of cultivating implements a year or so ago...
It was in decent condition, but the transmission was 'talky'.
That, and the Farmall has a different pto speed than all the current power driven implements like mowers and rotary tillers...
It did not come with a mower, which is important around these parts before fire season..

I was considering growing melons... once had a friend that did real well for himself with them...

any thoughts?
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 am 

How big of an area do you plan to plant? I have a couple of 8Ns but without a live PTO they cannot be used with a tiller. I have a compact Kubota B1700. It is 16 HP diesel with 4 wheel drive and locking differential. This thing will drive straight up a tree if I let it and it'll dig a hole to China with a tiller attached to it. You can pick them up used for about 3 to 5 grand usually, these are models from the '80's. I like the older stuff because there is no computer or other weird electronics on it. This makes diagnostics and repairs fairly simple. The compact Kubota could easily handle 2 acres

Here's one on Ebay. The guy is way overpriced on it. Although they keep their value extremely well and parts are readily available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-B1700-HS ... 1c347c3e2d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

Well Randy, I just don't know! lol

I'll never be able to get back into construction work again, but my health seems to be stabilizing a bit so I could run a small business again, if I hired a helper...

We've got a lot of vacant plots around here that were bought for real estate investment... now they are a liability.
and they must be taken care of, especially before fire season.
I'm thinking if I could mow, I could possibly find land I could use for the cost of water... and maybe the taxes???

I'm going about this bass ackwards, as usual... I should contact a produce broker first and find out what is advised, and what they might pay... then do the math and figger out how much I would need to grow to make a decent season of it.

That IS a very pretty kubota on the bay... but pricey! They ask abt 5k around here, too.
I don't have it... but I guess that could be a goal! lol

I haven't even checked tractor lease rates, or the rates a custom farmer would ask to break new ground...

Tnx!
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 am 

A BCS 718 came up on craigslist for $1500... that's a lot to spend, for a tiller only, and have to do all that walking behind it... of course I could weld up a little sulkey seat for it... then you sit right IN the cloud of dust from the tiller!

...I think I remember the BCS 720 is a lot better than the 718.. but can't recall, right now..

I was able to patch my salvaged Troy-bilt Horse together to get a few years out of it, but it is such an antiquated design...
BCS is what I had decided was best in the garden tillers, a while back, when I studied up on them. All gear drive mechanism, and they have superior bearings and seals than the Horse...

...Giving it more thought... I think I want a good rough terrain mower, and then implements to do some strip tilling.

Any thoughts?
rc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:06 am 

I'd say.. keep looking!
I also have a Troy Built (from the '70's). It's built like a tank but it does work you to death trying to till 2000 sq ft.
I also have an old Bolens G10 riding mower (with no mower deck). I bought a tiller attachment for it (direct drive). It will tear up anything I want to. The entire set up cost me $300.00. I see those Bolens WITH tillers attached fairly often on ebay. For the price ( about $500.00) they will easily till half an acre or so, maybemore with a little TLC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

I'll look for a bolens g10 to see what they are like...

This is my Horse, and why I need to change to something different...

I'm going to do a small write-up on just .why. I don't like it! lol
..but it IS built like a tank, and obviously repairable...

The lawn tractors I have are both MTD, I think... one says montgomery wards, the other says white. Pretty much the same, with different tin parts.

I wonder how much of a chisel-tooth cultivator I could pull with one of these???
then, mould-board, disk plow...

...wonder if there are DIY implements over on the Gingery site, or some place like that???

:-)
rc