How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tomatoes and green bath water
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hi Everyone,
We do a lot of canning...approx. 175 pounds of tomatoes so far. We can tomatoes, tomato juice , and salsa also jellies, pie filling, peas, green beans, peppers and the like. Anyway...For the last few weeks when I bathe at night the water turns green from time to time. Not kinda green but GREEN! I now know that it's when I'm processing tomatoes that this occurs. I thought at first that maybe my skin absorbs some of the toms acids and it reacts with the chemicals in the water (floride, chlorine or whatever). I mentioned this oddity to my brother last night and after a long laugh he said "You got me. No idea why that happens never heard of it before". Well this morning he called me and said he'd picked about 25 pounds of tomatoes and was rinsing them over a pot and the water leaving his hands was green! It's his belief and mine too that something from the tom vines gets on you and thats what is making the water green. I asked if he thought it could be the tomatoes themselves and he said no that if that were the case you could put the toms in a bowl of water and it would turn green. Sounds good to me. A couple of questions: Why this year and not in years past? It has been uncommonly dry here since the end of June. Maybe that has something to do with it? Next: Has anyone else expirienced this? Thanks, Ted

Post subject: Re: tomatoes and green bath water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 am 

Obviously I'm going down the list of un-answered posts...

Well, I'll step up to the plate on this one.

tbear, the rest of us don't bathe.
so we never seen that green water.

and my hands are so sticky from the baccy i gotta put on them stoopid gloves to type my keyboard