How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Giant Russian sunflowers
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I sent in to the USDA for some free tobacco seeds a while back but also got some of those
Giant Russian sunflowers I soaked 10 seeds Sunday May 1st for two hours and put them in
16 oz Styrofoam cups using my Compost/Worm casting/Dirt mixture and by Tuesday they were sprouting
Today I had to put them outside most of them were at 5 inches tall and the weather is ok today.
When I took them out of the cups the tap root was more than a foot long I couldn't believe how much they
grew in 6 days. I transplanted them along my 6 foot tall chain link fence. The flower head is supposed to get
between 16 to 24 inches across I'm a thinking there not lying.
Accession: PI 650421

Tax on: Helianthus annuus
Origin: Zimbabwe
Plt Names: Russian Giant; 803490; Ames 3315

My last Garden plant left to start is a Blue Hubbard Squash that I Crossed with a giant Pumpkin last year.
This is the first batch of those I'm gonna try The squash it came from was over 30 pounds and being crossed
with a giant pumpkin this squash ought to be bigger yet

And not last or the least I'm putting in at least 30 tobacco plants next week there getting big enough now
out in the green house that they can tolerate any weather change now.

Post subject: Re: Giant Russian sunflowers
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:31 pm 

Sounds like fun, Dan !
...One of these days I gotta look more seriously at the GRIN program... went there once or twice, got confused, and didn't go back. Lol

If you look in my photo gallery you may find the pics of the genetic freak sunflower I had last year. It kinda resembled an old John Carpenter horror movie! It's almost like it was trying to be something else, or not sure what it should be. I sent a few seeds out, here and there, but included a warning that they probably shouldn't be around any other sunflowers so they don't cross breed. It was a real impressive plant, though. real tall, and the stalk was nearly as big around as my forearm. If I'd had more planned last year I could have strung fence wire between them to keep the deer out!

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Well there supposed to end up taller and bigger than most of them.
I'm gonna try to get some free bird feed out of them
out of the ten plants I hope to get one like in the picture
My neighbor down the street got one this big and he said he got a lot of bird feed out of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:05 pm 

Do you know if that boy in the photo survived the attack?

Bob