How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The great pepper famine of '10
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 am 

I just lost the last of my bell peppers :cry:
It was more or less my own fault for not paying attention, but still stings.

It started out with the first planting. At about a foot tall, all of my peppers got some small brown spots on the leaves, and eventually the plants died. I figured I had either hit em with too strong of an insecticide mix, or I'd burned em from a couple early morning waterings too close to sun up.

So I replanted, and all was going well until about 6 inches tall, and here we go again with the spotting and dying. I did a little research, and the leaf damage looks just like a anthracnose fungal infection.

Seems it comes from shade trees, and I looked right over my head, and what do you know the tree I planted under is just infested.... I guess I could have saved myself a lot of effort (and peppers) by just LOOKING UP

Luckily none of my tobacco seems to be infected. I planted it all away from the shade of that tree. But me and my chainsaw have some serious paybacks planned for this winter.

Post subject: Re: The great pepper famine of '10
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 am 

That's a bummer, all that work and expense just to lose them. Who would think that a tree could infect a pepper plant, they are so hardy normally. Hope your chain saw revenge is sweet!
I grew some jalapeno peppers last year and the plants made beautiful bushes. But the peppers were so hot, even my Mexican wife couldn't eat them. So I know how frustrating gardening can be at times.
Good luck with the baccy.
Neal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:29 am 

Hi -

chefjoosie, I'd sure hate to make a living as a farmer. It's one crisis after another!

You need to plant peppers in full sun about 2 weeks after your last average frost anyhow, so don't worry, you can make a new bed next year.

lipantxguy, we grew the early hot jalapeno last year and even after pickling them they were too hot to eat. But 6-8 months later, the pickles were nice, still hot, but much milder! I can eat them no problem! Aging seems to have mellowed them a lot!

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:28 pm 

Yea, all in all I was lucky, I only lost the bells and a couple of my eggplants. Could have been much worse.
All of my hot peppers are looking really good. I use them mostly for sauces, both fresh and fermented.
My favorites are the peter peppers. A little disturbing to look at, but the flavor on em is fantastic, and the heat is well balanced.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 am 

chefjoosie wrote:
Yea, all in all I was lucky, I only lost the bells and a couple of my eggplants. Could have been much worse.
All of my hot peppers are looking really good. I use them mostly for sauces, both fresh and fermented.
My favorites are the peter peppers. A little disturbing to look at, but the flavor on em is fantastic, and the heat is well balanced.

Can you tell me some more about your fermented sauces? I have made kraut and kim chi but would love to try making more fermented products