How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gardening intro
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 pm 

Many of us here don't limit ourselves to just growing tobacco we grow a wide range of food crops as well. Others are just starting out & need help preparing land, identifying beneficial or problematic plants & bugs.
This section is intended to cover all aspects of gardening including:
■ Growing your own foodcrops.
■ Growing medicinal herbs & discussing their uses.
■ Preparing land for growing your tobacco, food or medicinal herb crops.
■ Managing fertilisers
■ Crop rotation
■ Disease control
■ Advice on composting.
■ Bioremediation - a broad subject ranging from decontaminating land affected by toxins, chemical spills, radiation etc... to safely composting things widely believed to be impossible to compost such as polystrene, crude oil, explosives etc... This subject borders on an obsession for me.

If required subforums will be created at a later date.

Post subject: Re: Gardening intro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:51 am 

I was reading about a 100 square foot garden in "Mother Earth News" that I want to try this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:34 am 

there is a book on "Square Foot Gardening" that you may find very useful - basically, how to cram a lot of plants into a small area, and get excellant food crop production.
I did this for a few years back in the 70's, then job, family and other interest got me away for heavy gardening, but I still use a lot of the techniques even today.
I recommend you check it out, google it, or check your local library.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 pm 

LeftyRighty wrote:
there is a book on "Square Foot Gardening" that you may find very useful - basically, how to cram a lot of plants into a small area, and get excellant food crop production.
I did this for a few years back in the 70's, then job, family and other interest got me away for heavy gardening, but I still use a lot of the techniques even today.
I recommend you check it out, google it, or check your local library.

I remember that my wife had the book years ago. I will ask her if we still have it. I can use all the help I can get. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:44 pm 

Hello I had the book years ago and used it . was looking for it other day and had to buy new book . it is a lot differant . updated and changed a lot . might try there web site google square foot garden . I use ed some info and had some tobacco plantsd max out at 8' this year . some didn;t do over foot . weather and animals . lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

I appreciate the "heads up" and will look for the new book. Did you find that the changes were worth repurchasing the book for?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:45 pm 

For New Gardeners:
Above all other things in my expert opinion,

Learn to control your weeds. Pre_emergence will save you a Truck load of grief, back pain, and disappointment. If you sock it to you garden now every 2 months up until march you wont have weeds in the spring and early summer!
Of course a good cover crop will work as good, but only after you have sterilized all the weeds seeds in your garden. Again even Pre-M isn't 100% but when July comes and your up to your eyeballs in weeds... will dishearten most any savvy gardener.

Learn, just what is organic gardening - don't bite too hard on being green. When everything made on this planet is " Organic "
http://www.pestproducts.com/merit.htm
If you apply merit( Insecticide) to you garden in the fall and winter the residue should carry you over until first harvest. Apply Now and again in Jan and once more before you plant; but dont use merit the last time use "Tal Star" the last app.
http://www.pestproducts.com/talstar.htm

If you Insect population is high you may need to spread around the perimeter of your garden around July to keep the insect from walking in. Most applications last for 3 to 4 months actively and deter insects up to 6 months.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:05 pm 

Bought the new forgot to use it. 2011 will do all.