How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: howas yer harvest doin?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:59 pm 

Howdy mates, (first time growin me tbaccy)
Hows yer crop come along? ive harvest all my sylvestris bottom leaves and have hung em up in the glasshouse to cure took some old leaves that snapped of the plant a month ago and chuffed er un aged (might not worry bout agen at the moment) by golly! thats not bad! could complain about the absence of a throat hit tho i like a good throat hit in me ciggs (this is where im real pissed) but i couldent compain about the flavour its good! just need a tbac to blend with my sylvestris i think any suggestions? or is it just weak casue no agin?

Let me know how yer crops come along !

chya later growers,

Post subject: Re: howas yer harvest doin?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 pm 

OT, my crop is doing fine! Mostly layin on the ground in the rain cuz I dug em up before they froze.
Now I am behind on piling them, or hangin them indoors... one way or the other!
But I got about 50 more to go... plenty of work to do around here.
If yah want a stronger smoke, grow some burley! It'll take the hair off a cat, unless you age it well.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm 

rustycase wrote:
OT, my crop is doing fine! Mostly layin on the ground in the rain cuz I dug em up before they froze.
Now I am behind on piling them, or hangin them indoors... one way or the other!
But I got about 50 more to go... plenty of work to do around here.
If yah want a stronger smoke, grow some burley! It'll take the hair off a cat, unless you age it well.
Best
rc

you goin for cigs, cigars rusty? jesus you have 50 plants that you havent harvest yet and all i had grown is 3 plants!
im trying to find a burley now hopefuly that will give me the bite. Not looking to age at all well not with the sylvestris anyway that is fine just cured :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 am 

No, that's not quite correct...
I've grown somewhere around 75 plants this year.
Most have been primed, harvested in stages, 3 different times.
And some of those I am harvesting 2nd growth from.

Now, I'm beginning to dig up the plants and throw 'em off to the side in the weeds.
I'll go out and hang 'em up for stalk curing when the WX improves, if I can make some room to hang 'em.

I will dig up ALL plants this year so I can till completely. I have seen larva hanging out in the rootball of some plants and want to make sure I kill as many of them as possible over winter.
...and I'm just tired of messing with baccy plants out in the garden!!! Winter happens for a reason!
I need a break! :-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:15 pm 

rustycase wrote:
No, that's not quite correct...
I've grown somewhere around 75 plants this year.
Most have been primed, harvested in stages, 3 different times.
And some of those I am harvesting 2nd growth from.

Now, I'm beginning to dig up the plants and throw 'em off to the side in the weeds.
I'll go out and hang 'em up for stalk curing when the WX improves, if I can make some room to hang 'em.

I will dig up ALL plants this year so I can till completely. I have seen larva hanging out in the rootball of some plants and want to make sure I kill as many of them as possible over winter.
...and I'm just tired of messing with baccy plants out in the garden!!! Winter happens for a reason!
rc

Thats a fair crop there rusty how long does 75 plants last you?
I will be leaving the a sucker on mine as well after shes all harvested. Do you notice any difference in the smoke from yer second harvest?
Hows stalk curing going for you.

Darn larva haven't had any of them attack me plants yet only the occasional grub looking for a fix 8)
Hard to believe your tired of it rusty i find it hard to imagine me ever getting tired of growing but that's probably only because i haven't grown more than 3 :x

Ahh good ole winter where would we be without you :lol:

have a good day!

Last edited by offtobacco on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:17 pm 

rustycase wrote:
rc

lol I hear ya man! As much as I love growing the stuff, it's a nice feeling when the year is done and you get a break. They say tobacco is the most labor intensive crop there is for good reason. Because it is! Try growing 2500 of them sometime and see how happy you are when the season ends.

And I agree with RC. Some Burley is what you need for your blend. It gives a blend a richer flavor and that throat hit your looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:12 am 

Skychaser wrote:
rustycase wrote:
rc

lol I hear ya man! As much as I love growing the stuff, it's a nice feeling when the year is done and you get a break. They say tobacco is the most labor intensive crop there is for good reason. Because it is! Try growing 2500 of them sometime and see how happy you are when the season ends.

And I agree with RC. Some Burley is what you need for your blend. It gives a blend a richer flavor and that throat hit your looking for.

2500 plants is a fair bit of land there id hate to be the one lookin after the scuckers and toppin i reckon it would near drive me crazy.

Hows the flavour of 100% burley there sky? ever tried it? I reckon the sylvestris would go good with the burley considering what i have read on the web

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 am 

offtobacco wrote:
2500 plants is a fair bit of land there id hate to be the one lookin after the scuckers and toppin i reckon it would near drive me crazy.

Hows the flavour of 100% burley there sky? ever tried it? I reckon the sylvestris would go good with the burley considering what i have read on the web

It takes about 1/2 acre for 2500 plants. Topping and suckering them isn't all that bad. I've had over 1500 plants in a season that were all bagged to prevent cross pollination. Bagging plants makes topping look really easy.

Burleys have a much stronger and richer flavor that most other types of tobacco. Too strong for most people to smoke straight, including me. It's got too much of a throat hit. I can smoke Harrow Velvet straight. But it still needs a little bit of bright leaf in it to mellow it out a little for my tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 pm 

Skychaser wrote:
offtobacco wrote:

It takes about 1/2 acre for 2500 plants. Topping and suckering them isn't all that bad. I've had over 1500 plants in a season that were all bagged to prevent cross pollination. Bagging plants makes topping look really easy.

Burleys have a much stronger and richer flavor that most other types of tobacco. Too strong for most people to smoke straight, including me. It's got too much of a throat hit. I can smoke Harrow Velvet straight. But it still needs a little bit of bright leaf in it to mellow it out a little for my tastes.

I just could not imagine caring for that many plants :x

well i got my season planed 3x ytb, 3x bursa, 3x va116, 1x b21 hopefully my kiln will speed up the aging of the burly its something i am interested in trying un-aged in a small amount with another type i do like my smokes strong but not to strong :lol: