How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new book on growing tobacco
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:55 am 

Illustrated Guide to Flowering Tobacco for Gardens
by Richard Pocker

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide ... or+gardens

... "Do you want to grow something out of the ordinary in your garden? Consider the often-overlooked gardening gem Nicotiana. Most people know it only in its dried-leaf form, but prior to that stage, flowering tobacco can be a captivating ornamental plant.

Hobbyist gardener Richard Pocker first discovered Nicotiana at a county fair exhibit in the South. Struck by its beauty and its impact on history, he has now spent over a decade researching, seed hunting, growing, photographing, and exhibiting this extraordinary treasure.

Weaving history and gardening tips together, the Illustrated Guide to Flowering Tobacco for Gardens covers everything you need to know about raising Nicotiana, from selecting which of the hundreds of varieties best fits your garden to finding the seeds and growing the plants. Most varieties of this versatile plant are excellent container plants, able to grow both inside and outside. And though it tends to be grown more often in temperate zones, Pocker has managed to raise it in Nova Scotia’s short growing season.

Whether you’re looking for a unique addition to your garden or you’re excited to befriend gardeners around the world as you hunt for heirloom seeds using Pocker’s invaluable source list, it’s worth trying your hand at raising this underappreciated beauty." .....

I was contacted by Richard Pocker early this year about using a few of our photos in his upcoming book. He ended up using dozens of our photos. Most of them were taken by Mrs. Sky. She takes better photos than I do and has literally spent days photographing everything we grow. (must give credit where credit is due). Richard sent us a copy of the book earlier this week. So far I have only had a chance to thumb though it, but I am very impressed by what I have seen and plan to read it cover to cover this weekend. We are very happy to have made a contribution to this book. :D

Sky

Post subject: Re: new book on growing tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:54 pm 

I will look forward to your review, in detail, when you have read through it, Sky.
Will you be offering it for sale upon your excellent website?
Thank you
rc