How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you only had one choice...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 pm 

How about a little poll to give us newbies some insight on the best tobacco's....

If you had only one choice of a tobacco strain to grow what would it be? And why?

What are some of the best characteristics of it? Such as growth rate, productivity, curability, length of age before it's smokable, taste, aroma, nicotine content, ect....

Last edited by Baylor on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: If you only had one choice...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:47 pm 

As i'm only in the curing/aging stage, I cant give a very informed opinion but so far I would have to give the nod to Yellow Twist Bud simply because it was a great producer for me and was by far the easiest to color cure. Don't think I lost a single leaf of it to curing green.
Lizard Tail Orinoco is a close 2nd place behind it as it produced very well and got really tall. I hope they smoke well because I have double the amount (or more) of them than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 am 

Not fair, Not fair! lol
Only 1 option?

Well, I never been any good at rules, so here's what I'd have on the short list...

YTB... Good producer, ez to cure, overall moderate flavor/strength.
Florida Sumatra... Good producer and leaf size, cures almost easily as the YTB, and is on the lighter side of cigar tobacco which may be used in ciggies.
Havana 142... OK producer, leaf size, and cure. Light to moderate in the cigar baccy range, may be used stand-alone for ciggies.

I always blend.
rc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 pm 

Awesome! Ill put those on my possibilites list for next years grow. Never too early to plan ahead. I believe ive seen the florida sumatra mentioned around here quite a bit, ill have to take a look in the search bar......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:29 pm 

..."If you had only one choice of a tobacco strain to grow what would it be? And why?
"...

Costello Negro. It's my absolute favorite. It's a bright leaf tobacco with a nic content of 2.4%. It grows up to 6" and flowers in 60 -65 days, and ripens shortly after blooming starts. It has a very sweet and mild taste with a slight nutty flavor. I used to blend in some Bursa or Prilep in my mix to get that sweet flavor you get with those two orientals, but with Costello there is no need.

I have about 150 of them growing this year and they are now about half picked and curing. Last year I grew a couple hundred and let them open pollinate. I picked the best of the bunch to save seed from. This year I bagged them and am typing them out and saving seed from only the earliest maturing plants that produced no suckers. Since I plan to grow Costello every year, I'll do this for the next couple years to further stabilize this variety.

Here's a pict of last years plants. http://nwtseeds.com/Costello_4.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:52 pm 

Howdy Skychaser!

Looking thru your page, i've been totally lost because there are so many tobacco's to chose from! As the resident pro around these parts, I'll have to assume you know what your talking about so i'll put Costello Negro at the top of my list.