How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mullein
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 pm 

Ozark Lady, does this look like mullein to you? I was doing some yard work at my sisters today and found patches of this growing in the front yard. All young plants. I gotta mow over there tomorrow, ill dig up and transplant them if it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 pm 

I believe that may be Lambs ears or silver carpet as some call it. It is a ground cover.
http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/lambs-e ... index.html
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecolo ... ullein.htm

In the first year, mullein makes rosettes, that are about a foot in diameter, and stand up maybe 6". It is very round... the second year, it goes up, up and away, I have some over 6' tall between the driveway and garden fence.

My son just found some more mullein, he said in a couple hours we could fill up his 3/4 ton truck until it squats.

A neighbor boy with asthma has already been picking dried mullein off of my garden fence for his asthma and said it is helping. It dried a bit green, probably better as a tea than as a smoke... but I have lots more and then all that my son found... it will be more mature and will probably cure better and make brown leaves like it should.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm 

Yep, I believe your right. Close but no cigar. Thanks Ozark!

Wow, sounds like you will have a lifetime supply by the end of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:07 pm 

This is probably what to expect in the Lone Star Republic

tall spires....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm 

May not be native here. Dont reckon ive ever seen one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 am 

Opium poppies make a pretty good cough syrup, too.
Too bad it's kind of addictive...
:P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:28 am 

Howdy M.A. been picking up mullen as the plants brown up along the road sides this year. I dug one up and transplanted it in our yard. It wilted down big time but came back up after a few days. Found them to be very shallow rooted here basically the roots are just under the weed and leaf litter on the road side plants. We have a weak growth spot at the new place i plan on salting it with mullen seeds and covering it over with a couple of inches of lawn clippings this fall. be nice to grow some without stopping along the roadside.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:52 pm 

Hi Jack,
When you get your mullein home, just pick an area where you would like mullein to grow and shake those seedheads they will have lots of seeds in them. Tiny bluebirds love them, and I like the bluebirds so I kept doing that to attract the birds to my yard... and I get mullein here and there all around. The roots are extremely shallow amazing they can hold that spike up! But they do self sow once you get them started there and increase regularly. I already see next year's mullein growing near the current mullein. Mullein likes poor soil, if your soil is too rich, you may not have mullein growing near you.

The mullein from earlier dried green, smokes awful... tastes like spinach in a cigarette. But, there is plenty more not picked yet. Mullein is even taken in capsule form, so I will just shred the green stuff and make it into vitamins! ha ha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 pm 

Hi M.A. I want to try harvesting some first year plant leaves this fall and mulch in the plant's core. They seem to have lots of leaves thats only purpose looks to be insulation for the winter season. What are your thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 am 

Mulleins are bi-annuals. They grow rosettes the first year and bloom the second. Then they die. They are very prolific seed producers and the seed can lay dormant for 50 years or more waiting for the right conditions to germinate. Farmers here hate them. They will grow in any soil, poor or good. Put them in some decent soil and they become giants that can be 10 feet tall. They tend to pop up best in areas where the soil has been disturbed and stripped of other vegetation. Sometimes they come up by the 1000's here in areas that were logged the year or two before.

Mullien is not native to North America. It was brought here in the 1700's as a medicinal plant and within 100 years had spread across the continent. I have seed for sale on my website if anyone wants some. But be careful where you plant them. If you let them seed, you will have mulliens coming up forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am 

Jack, I don't quite understand what it is you are going to do with the first year plants. Are you harvesting them wild and going to try to transplant them?
We went from monsoon season to no rain. Even the weeds are looking rough. I have noticed that the second year mullein is looking pretty good. It is maturing nicely, lots of seeds on them, and best of all, lots of leaves starting to yellow up. But the first year rosettes are not growing well. They should be nice full heads the size of cabbages by now, and they are still coconut sized due to the drought. If you are in a drought also, it will make transplanting the young mullein plants even more difficult. Always worth a try at least. But, do be sure to harvest some seed heads off of the wild mullein and just spread it... I think some seeds have a time code and will wait until conditions are better to start growing, not all the next year. Mullein is invasive, so are honeybees if they are allowed to swarm and build wherever they want to... but wow, what a nice invasion in my opinion.

Interesting that mullein is not a native plant. We also have trees around here that are not native and are considered invasive. Even my honeybees were known as "white man's fly" and were not native. Many of our stubborn weeds were brought here with the pioneers and were potherbs or medicinals that they treasured and we have forgotten how to use since the "industrialization" of our countries.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 pm 

Naw just harvest the outer rings of leaves and kick some weed mulch up around them.