How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: brewing beer
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:42 am 

Thunderbolt wrote:
Hey all, great thread. It only makes sense to make your own booze if you grow your own smokes, that's a double whammy to the tax man! I run a small still myself, probably a lot less complicated than trying to make a nice tasting beer. Keep up the good work!

I have brewed my fist batch which took about 2 1/2 hours including the sterilization, set up, boiling, transferring to the fermentation carboy and final clean up and storage. It was supposed to be 48 bottles worth but I ended up with more so I used a 20 0z Mountain Dew bottle for the rest. I ordered my equipment kit through Amazon who had a better price than the brew shops and brewing internet sites. I have to admit that I did not check every store or site so there could be better prices out there. I ended up getting the Octoberfest recipe/ingredients which are extracts/sugar/yeast, etc. The next will be a bag brew so I can use whole grains.Waiting is the hardest part. Also, I have found a few sites where I can have custom labels made (just for my first batch) so I am starting to play a little.

Rusty, You are obviously a project guy so this is definitely proving to be a great project you might want to look into. I am betting the two cases of beer I just made will last me a couple of months unless I end up giving some away. I have a friend saving me extra bottles so I will have an inexpensive gift to give away during the holidays. (I am so cheap :-) )

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:18 pm 

Well tnx, Shihan!
Yes, I enjoy long projects and try to manage them well.

Problem is, when I see the need for detail, (sanitary requirements), I delegate, and I'm very difficult to get along with!
It's hard to keep the press gang working...

...couple cases...
I'd need to do math to figger that...
3 days?
OK, 4. Unless it's a weekend. then it might do...

winter or summer?

???

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:33 pm 

rustycase wrote:
...couple cases...
I'd need to do math to figger that...
3 days? OK, 4. Unless it's a weekend. then it might do... winter or summer? ???

I have always been a light to moderate drinker. Even in the Corps I would nurse a six pack for over a week except for the Marine Corps Birthday.
I am not a heavy smoker either. That is why growing my own tobacco has worked out so well. The transition to only noncommercial tobacco took me about four weeks but after that no more buying a pack every day or two. It has saved me a lot of money since 2009. Home brewing will save me more and as soon as I get this square foot gardening down to a science I should be able to be self sufficient in two + years when I retire (I hope). Like everything else I expect a lot of obstacles.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:43 pm 

ok
admissions and confessions
at 270 I suppose I'm a 'heavy' at everything I do

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:03 pm 

Remember, never wash the bottles with soap! Just bleach water and very hot at that. Just like canning. That would be a one day supply for Me. Remember- You have friends that will want one to save on the shelf and one to try. times how many friends and family. Better get on the next batch. I have 10 gallons of whisky ready for the still now. Got to do some Rum and hard cherry cider for Chistmas still. It goes fast. That is what I give every one for that time of year. Never had a bad gift complaint yet LOL.
I get some of My suplies from Santa Fe brewing co. Out of Santa Fe NM.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:36 pm 

Just had a look at Rustys link to home distiller.org with the ATF wow! We have some funny(not funny) laws here where you can buy a still and all the equipment/ingredients etc as long as you don't use it. But the ATF? Brings to mind visions of "seige at ruby ridge" and the like haha!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:44 pm 

Got to go put the Gov. in the wash now....So if You want to do a tax thing --Call BIG BROTHER! LOL It is all leagel here. So lets make some BEER or any thing We want LOL. HA HA HA Some places You can NOT have a still. (thats up to YOU) but beer? Give Me a break. Tell them to look at the POT heads and why they gave them the chips?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 am 

˙ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ɐ pǝǝu ᴉ ʞuᴉɥʇ ˙ pǝuɹnʇ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇoƃ puɐ ǝuᴉʍ ɥɔnɯ o┴

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 pm 

Well I brewed (kit), fermented, bottled and finally tasted my brew it is not the best tasting but there are a lot more kits/recipes to follow. It has a higher alcohol content and is a little stouter than Belhaven. I am going with a lager next time...as soon as the fifty bottles I just started on are gone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:56 pm 

mickameyer wrote:

Upon further investigation this is what i have on hand:
Cascade and Galena aplenty,
Sterling some,
Chinook a little
Willamette a wee bit (that mean mean an ounce)
Any and all of it is available.

Let me know what is still available and what would be needed for a bittering hops (amber or dark ale) and for the cascade as a flavoring hops. I would love to grow my own and Golds would be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:03 pm 

I have decided that extract brewing is easiest but I enjoy all grain brewing. My issue is I have to build my own crusher because I am not paying $175 for a grain crusher. With extract you just buy 3 lbs of liquid malt extract (hopped if you want it), 3 lbs of dry malt extract, enough corn sugar for two cups and yeast. (also hops if the liquid extract is not pre-hopped). I only use a one stage fermentation process so all of my brewing equipment is interchangeable for both extract and all grain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:46 am 

Cascade, Chinook, Galena, Sterling

I have a few ounces of each to spare

Perhaps you are familiar with this chart: http://www.onebeer.net/hopschart.html

Gives an idea what hops to use for what beer types.

Like you, we have been extract brewing. All grain may be in our future, but not rushing it.

I've been enjoying a smoke and a beer at the end of each day.

Good day, Mick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:06 pm 

mickameyer wrote:
Cascade, Chinook, Galena, Sterling

I have a few ounces of each to spare

Perhaps you are familiar with this chart: http://www.onebeer.net/hopschart.html

Thanks for the URL. It helps a lot. I would love some of the Chinook and Cascade and would put it to good use..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:39 am 

Excellent. If you will PM an address to me, I will get some in the mail to you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:00 pm 

I will let you know how my brew went using the hops you sent me. It is bottled and I will need to wait another week or two before testing the first one. In a side note my some was looking in a built in cabinet for our old VHS tapes and brought out a 5lb bag of Monte Calm Yellow that I do not remember putting there. I don't know why I would put it there. Anyway I will add it to the mix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next