How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: brewing beer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 pm 

Mad Oshea wrote:
I made beer for a many a year. The cost was the same if not less to run My still. I just run it now and buy the beer. 100 bucks can get You a good start. Bottles (snap top) cartigans (2) Hops, Barly and Malt if You wish Sugar, yeast and time. And a good recpie. Good luck

I am going by a couple of the brew shops tomorrow and then I will try to locate places to buy in bulk to cut prices.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:03 pm 

Hello, I planted hop rhizomes last spring and harvested a number of ounces of cones in the fall which I am not ready to use myself yet. I would be pleased to share with you if you are going to use hops. I think most folks when they start out use the kits and that includes extracts, which are a processed hop so not sure if what i have would be applicable to your situation. I dried them last fall, vacuum packed them and have kept them in the freezer. Plus, not sure the varieties I have are appropriate for Scottish Ales. Here are the varieties I have: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Galena, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Sterling, Willamette. I should say, that is what I planted, but I may not have harvested enough of certain ones to be useful. If you are interested, I will take a closer look at what I have.

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 am 

That's a great offer. Also, I feel like an idiot for not thinking about growing my own barley and hops. I mean, this is a grow your own tobacco forum.

I found this recipe but it is for another Belhaven variety that does not sound very appealing to me. It may taste better than it sounds.

Belhaven 80/- For 5 gal.

OG: 1040
FG: 1008
Mash @ 66C for 90 mins.
ABV: 4.2%
IBU: 29
SRM: 18

2.85 kg UK pale malt (Maris Otter or equivalent)
0.25 kg white sugar
0.08 kg medium crystal (55L)
0.05 kg black patent malt

32 g Goldings at start of boil
11 g Goldings for last ten
3 g Irish moss

Described as follows: "One of the few remaining Scottish 80/-, with malt the predominant flavor characteristic, though it is balanced by hop and fruit. Roast and caramel malts play a part in a complex beer." (Wheeler, 2009:120)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:47 am 

mickameyer, In your history of brewing do you have a favorite recipe? Also, have you brewed any wheat darks? I was always fond of dark beers. The only real exception is when I was 17 yo and in the marine corps I was stationed on Okinawa. I drank a lot of Orion that is brewed on the island and really liked it in small doses. In the Philippines we had San Miguel (diarrhea specials) that were pretty good. The San Miguel brewed in Hong Kong tasted different to me. I tried beer in every country we went to and because I caught a liberty float and was involved in multiple refugee evacuations I ended up in mainland Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, Korea (cold weather training), Vietnam and Guam. I spent my 19th birthday in Hong Kong at the China Fleet Club. Good memories and pretty good beer, most of them anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:50 pm 

Sounds like you've had some adventures seeing the world.

From the recipe, I take it that the hop variety is the Goldings?
Regarding my brewing history, I have none. I am only reading about brewing. I'm growing hops for the day that I am able to brew, which ain't yet. Plus to supply other home brewers. I had reasonable success for the 1st year. I grew 8 varieties to see what would do well at my location with the intent of wittling the varieties down but increasing the quantity of those that prove themselves over time.

Upon further investigation this is what i have on hand:
Cascade and Galena aplenty,
Sterling some,
Chinook a little
Willamette a wee bit (that mean mean an ounce)

Any and all of it is available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

I guess like anything else hops can be interchangeable with a little taste change. Since this will be the first time I have brewed I won't know the difference. I will settle on a recipe, buy my equipment, human consumable organic disinfectant, finish my brewing and storage area and let you know what I am doing, the exact steps and how it turns out. On a side note, how long does it take for barley and hops to mature? I am already looking up processing hops.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:17 pm 

Mad Oshea wrote:
I made beer for a many a year. The cost was the same if not less to run My still. I just run it now and buy the beer. 100 bucks can get You a good start. Bottles (snap top) cartigans (2) Hops, Barly and Malt if You wish Sugar, yeast and time. And a good recipe. Good luck

I am open to any suggestions. I would like to start by the end of next week if possible. I am sure you made more than one variety. Do you have a favorite recipe that is close to fool proof (since I am a first timer)?

I am editing this to include the recipe I am going to brew (or at least try to).

Full Moon (Kilt-Lifter Wee Heavy)
Follow the URL below for the details.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... wee-heavy-

Method: All Grain
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.061 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Source: BYO https://byo.com/component/k2/item/1844-kilt-li

Original Gravity: 1.083 Final Gravity: 1.017 ABV (standard): 8.67% IBU (tinseth): 33.36 SRM (morey): 15.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 am 

Regarding the maturation of hops and barley:

Barley is an annual like wheat or rye, so it is planted at the beginning of whatever is your growing season and harvested at the end of the season. Or it could be that barley may be a "winter" crop as well. Up here in Wisconsin wheat or rye can be planted in the middle autumn and it sprouts and grows a little but then goes dormant over the winter and gets an early start the next spring and is ready for harvest middle/late summer. Then it needs replanting each year.

Hops are a perennial vine (bine). Typically a grower acquires rhizomes, which are a chunk of "root", and plants in the spring and harvest late summer/early autumn here. There will be a small harvest that first year then each year there after it grows better and better, more vegetation, more hop cones. Eventually maybe each plant will provide a couple pounds. It needs something to climb. It may grow to 20+ feet high if you provide that much trellis, but it will do fine on lower trellises.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:01 am 

The last batch I made was a Canadian wheat berry type. It wasn't hard . I just boild the hops and barly with a quart of honey and added 2 cups of whole wheat to the hops and barly befor I boiled. After I poured it in the carboy (cardigan) I let it ferment "ALMOST"to the stop point. I added one more quart of honey and 2 cups of sugar and let it go. When it stoped rolling I botteled it and put it in a cool place. The second fermit was for carbonation. The first is a draght type that i don't like. You can carbonate with co2 after the first fermentation but I prefer bottled with natural carbonation. Cover the bottles with a towel if You second fermint, Some may pop in the rack.
The beer looks golden and has a floural wheat berry tast and not a harsh after tast. Or You can make a simple beer with potato's LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:43 am 

mickameyer wrote:
Regarding the maturation of hops and barley:

How would you convert the amount of processed hops (pellets, etc.) to the amount of raw unprocessed hops (using a cheese cloth bag). How many cones equal a pellet. I guess I would like to know if one ounce of cones is equal to an ounce of pellets or if it would be something like 1 oz = 1 1/2 oz of unprocessed.

When I get this figured out I will take you up on your offer of hops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 am 

About the conversion of oz. of hop pellets to oz. of hop cones, I do not know the answer though it is a good question.

Perhaps Mad Oshea (or others) will know something about this.

One might think that if the units is weight, that it would be an oz. for an oz. But I'm thinking the pellets are a concentrate and an oz. of pellets is worth more than an oz. of cones. And let us assume for the moment that the hops were harvested at their peak.

Mick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:42 pm 

mickameyer wrote:
About the conversion of oz. of hop pellets to oz. of hop cones, I do not know the answer though it is a good question.

Perhaps Mad Oshea (or others) will know something about this.

One might think that if the units is weight, that it would be an oz. for an oz. But I'm thinking the pellets are a concentrate and an oz. of pellets is worth more than an oz. of cones. And let us assume for the moment that the hops were harvested at their peak.

Mick

I think this is what I like most of any project is learning what is necessary to do it right and then making it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:13 am 

Found it...for a price :twisted:

Do you like malty Scottish Ale like Belhaven Scottish Ale - try our Award winning Sidewinder Scottish Ale.
http://www.beer-wine-brewing.com/store/ ... rch&page=1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:33 am 

Hey all, great thread. It only makes sense to make your own booze if you grow your own smokes, that's a double whammy to the tax man! I run a small still myself, probably a lot less complicated than trying to make a nice tasting beer. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 am 

:-)

I'd agree with the T-bolt.

Really strange things can happen at room temperature!
I have never made beer, and the fed guys here will not allow us to run a still, so I've never done that...
But I have grown those kombucha mushrooms in a tub of tea.
What a STRANGE organism !!!

I like the tea, and I guess it is fermented a bit...

As Tbolt says, everything coming out a still is just about 180F, so there's no crazy critters growing in it like there may be in the lager... just put the heads in your lawnmower and run your tails with the next batch if you're really thrifty.

Lot's of excellent information over at the homedistiller.org website.
(They can be an edgy lot, so read a bunch of the newbie threads before asking questions!!!)

Best
rc

here's a reference thread for those here in the land of the fee and home of the slave...
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=46836

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next