How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New project... flatware jewelry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm 

This, is a loud project!
The ringing from my railroad track anvil goes all through our little house! lol
...but I'll be... friends saw something I had nearly completed and I got a commission to make something for them!
So that's encouraging!
:-)
rc

Post subject: Re: New project... flatware jewelry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 pm 

Here's a pic of my first two spoon rings made from stainless steel flatware.

This stuff is really too hard to work... but not much chance of silver coming my way. :-)
However, silver prices did drop and are now right about $20us. Good time to buy if you got extra cash.

I think these are probably sold.. they were made upon request. Price will be enough for me to buy a steel ring sizing mandrel.

Next, after that will be some polishing gadgets... I had to wrap a scrap of rag around a nail and used some industrial polish made by a company in OZ... No clue where I got it from! but the label says it's from Stepney, South Australia!

and I'll need some good metal cutting blades!!! this stuff is Hard!!!
rc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:04 am 

Nice, I have played with jewellery and find myself at the forge most often for knives. Skinners especially. I have worked a lot with 925 and 99.9 silver. Gold is just too expensive. I never thaught to try one of the harder metals as jewellery.

They look tops.

Can you cut stones as I have a lot of very good rough from over here. Not opal but jewellery quality semiprecious stuff. Have opal too.

We get some great stones here if you know where to look. I don't faacite so those types are on sold but I do cut free forms and cabochons. A facting machine is worth too much money and my eyes are not up to it.

Can I send you some rough, you can work it by hand if needed with wet/dry paper automotive stuff. I will have to dig to get it but I would like to send you some.

Cheers mate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 am 

Dig through the garage is what that should say, can't edit as usual. I have stuff from all over the world as well as gear collected here that could be set into one of your pieces.

How hot do you have to get the stainless to work it. Much of what I can buy is raw stainless and needs a heating and massive cooling schedule to harden it. I use my own 925 buying up cheap jewellery and using a pasta roller to make sheet form.

I'd like to pay back the seed sent. I reckon I have enough rough to last me a life time. Much is small but worth good money, if you could split fork tines too hold a stone it would be perfect.

Let me know if you want some

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 am 

Well Thank You, Pilchard!
...but you owe me nothing...
I like to mail out a seed sample to newbies here on HTGT, basically, so they can get some idea of the different strains the rest of us are talking about.
And, it's kinda fun for me to mail to various global places. :-) I have fun trying to package them up best I can, at the cheapest possible mailing price, and avoid damage from the rollers in the postal processing machinery.
Sometimes it's a challenge dodging those biosecurity types, also!
In the past, I had been able to send out a small random assortment of seed in a standard business envelope for only $0.47us.
Then our postal service got fussy if the envelope and padding weighed over an ounce, and they began sending them back to me...
Next, they wanted more money if the letter was not Perfectly smooth, for going through those rollers in the automatic processing machines.
These days, they are promoting a new Global Mail stamp, and of course it's more expensive!
I like to send out gratis seed packets, but now gubment is affecting my ability to do so...
I'll think of something.. :-)
Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

1 was sold... on credit, of course! lol
so I made a few more.

Cracker Jack rings is about what they are! :-)

It would help to have a small handful of hard bolts with a good portion of the shank clear of threads to use as mandrels.
12mm-23mm would be dandy
Maybe weld the bolt heads onto a steel bar or heavy plate that could be put in a vise???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 am 

How are you on the cabbing wheel, I have some nice opal I can send you, from 50 up to a couple of hundred bucks an oz, I get good money for some of the small high coloured stones 4x6mm, 8x10's I have plenty of inlay stuff as well. A lot of roughed out stuff you would only need to finish up shaping and polish.

Price of the rough is irrelevant to me. I can't and haven't kept track of parcels I have bought and I have always cut the king stone and usually sold it off to cover the parcel. I have given away a lot to the local lapidary clubs, usually the bottom 20% of parcels so I still have some good cutters here. I haven't really touched the wheel for 12 months as life has got in the way.

There is gear in there from all over the world and some overly agates from the US.

I had a quick look today there isn't a lot of tumbling stones, more cabbing stones if this will suit. A small parcel won't cost me much and I would like to return the favour.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:37 am 

I have stuff from all over Mintabie crackly stuff and not very stable, coober pedy light coloured speck fire, lightening ridge nice smokey back with plenty of red fire, there is even some boulder opal from Queensland slab bed out to rough shapes. It is very hard and bloody dirty to cut though. Imagine ironstone with lightening patterns through it. The ironstone will stain you and everything around you permenantly.

Cheers.

Last edited by pilchard on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 pm 

Here's a pic of my cabbing machine...
It is Star Diamond, now sold by Barranca, here in the states.

I have not used it in quite a while... roughed out some cabs, but never polished them to top qulity, nd I have not yet learned to make a setting for them.

Seriously though, you owe me nothing... It is fun for me to do the mailings, and I like to send my seed out to interesting places for a vacation! lol

The seeds.. they are inexpensive to mail... rocks, well, that would certainly be much more difficult.

I just watched something on the youtube yesterday... do you have sour sop there? I'd like to have 1/2 dozen of those seeds to see if they might grow here! ... but with them cold temps we've had lately, I'm thinking they would not make it here.

Anyhow... if I sell off some of these rings over Christmas I'm going to buy a little bit of silver stock and try to make some findings. It would be nice to try something I can actually work! lol

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 am 

One thing always seems to lead to another... lol

This stainless steel flatware is Really hard to bend.
I want to heat it for bending, and maybe even weld or braze it..

the acetylene torch makes too much soot to use indoors (in our kitchen).

So I'm looking at using propane, or natural gas, and oxygen...

These little torches can use any sort of gaseous fuel, including HHO.

This one is a Hoke jewelers torch.
they are abt $30 to $50...

This, is a Meco Midget Torch.
they run from $120 to $200...

There's a few other configurations, and prices... low and high...

Does anyone know about these devices?

For very small, and light duty use, it just seems to me there is not a whole lot going on...
A couple valves, two inlets, one exhaust, and a very small tip.

So buy a couple valves, a Tee, a threaded tube, and buy a set of the tips...

Any reason Not to do that???

Tnx! I'd like to hear what others might think abt this...
rc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 am 

...just found this...

Two bucks... delivered!

Anyone got experience with this sort of project????

I'm thinking couple of these could be brazed together, with a Tee and tip extension... and I'd be in like Flint!
rc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 am 

All my projects are in SLO motion, as always!

The garden is mostly tilled, WX has warmed up to 70F each day, no more freezing overnight.

Started a yeast culture and made a few loaves of bread... then the oven broke!
Yeast is in the fridge now, hibernating, until I can repair the oven.

Had a buyer for two spoon-rings... they stepped down to one.
Tina told em a price so I could buy a steel ring mandrel... then they didn't pay...
She finally got $7 for it which went into the gas tank. lol

That stainless steel is SO hard!
I'm using some copper roof flashing now... much softer. good for practice.
..making a real mess out of it, so far, but hope I improve!

I found a good tutorial guy on youtube... Soham Harrison He's got over a hundred vids up, and I've watched many of them.
Really good presentations!
Also watched some by Nancy Hamilton.

If I can make something interesting to sell, I'll buy a bit of silver to work with.

No pics until I can do something that's not too ugly for the camera! lol
rc

Has anyone ever tried using brass??? any steampunks out there??? :-)
Might be fun making stuff for their costumes...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:19 am 

Hey Rusty have you seen the Coin rings people make ? they look a treat. Ring mandrels go for about $10 these days on Ebay. I still have all my Dads lapidary gear in storage, He helped run a Club for years.Have all his cabs here on display. nice anvil by the way I made mine from train track also that took a few 9 inch cutting disks to shape I was out of oxygen for the gas axe at the time. Made a real good little brake drum forge while I was at it. my first project was a set of tongs pretty rough but does the job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 am 

Rusty, be careful with those torches, think of Lonnie!

In college we made silver jewelry, we made it first in wax, then it was coated with clay, and put into a machine, the machine melted the wax away, and replaced it with melted silver.
It didn't take very much silver unless you made some really heavy jewelry.
Once it came out you had to file and polish it up.
Really interesting to work with.

Remember when we had silver money? When I was a child a man made rings out of dimes, I think he just pounded them out. They were nice.

Are you protecting your hearing when you are pounding on the metal?

Nice looking jewelry!

Last edited by Ozark lady on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:10 am 

Hi Ozark
Yes the drill a hole in the coin first then put the coin on a mandrel and tap tap tap away at the edge until it sort of turns inside out. They look really good.

Have a look if you get time on utube.Type in make a coin ring.