How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New project... flatware jewelry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:43 am 

Tnx for the encouragement, OL. It's been quite a while that we have worked on the crafty projects.
...but the torch is right here next to me! lol
Lonnie was using an alcohol torch, and apparently? was heating some silver bearing metal within an enclosure when it flashed.
I don't do anything within an enclosure, and I'm using acetylene... which is worse! ...bbbut I've decided the initial light-up is far to smokey to do indoors and I've got to take certain stages of the process back outdoors to where I keep the rest of the welding equipment. I've got one area out there that is pretty much non-combustible, and the machines are positioned so all the leads reach that area suitably.
Problem is, too many projects, and I run out of steam! Yesterday I delegated a post hole digger motor project to another fellow, and took on a 2hp electric motor repair for a small sawmill.
But now, the garden work is beginning! I'll be prepping and germinating for a while... that work just will not wait!

..I never did try lost wax casting, but I'd like to ! I did read about something they use besides wax, months ago... I'll need to look it up again. I think a centrifuge is still used. Wonder if I could build one???
rc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:16 am 

We had our choice of wax to work with... solid blocks or small bits that we heated and arranged. We chose to use the blocks and work on it that way, then once the rings fit, we used the melted wax to decorate them a little.
Yes, it was centrifuge, and it was pretty good sized really. But our professor ran it, it is possible that it was large enough for several students projects to run at the same time.
We had a kiln and did a lot of enameling then too. Copper with glass on it, gets really, really heavy... and they didn't hold up so well to daily use.
I remember several minor burns in the process of playing with the kiln.
Very interesting projects, though.
I don't know what all torches Lonnie was using, I know nothing about them, only that he was melting stuff and melted Lonnie instead! Not good.
And my husband has some hearing loss due to being on the flight line in the USAF, so loud noises can do permanent damage, not fun to say, huh? all the time.
Hearing aids help, but no substitute for good hearing.
Just be careful, my friend.
I hate snow, but it does set nitrogen, and get the soil ready to work, so I guess it serves a purpose. We are still housebound, they don't really run snowplows here, especially out in the country. And freezing rain is due this weekend... my garden is on holiday? ha ha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 am 

About a year ago a friend was wearing an interesting piece of jewelry...
Cloisonne, but in a western style?

It was a fired, enameled piece of rawhide leather...
Really interesting, and different!

I've done a very small amount of powder coating using a little system I have, but it's only the polyurethane powder and not real fancy... I put up a few pics in one of my earlier galleries. I ran a few sample items, proved I could do it here in my shop, showed it to a few people, and no one seemed to be overly impressed so I didn't proceed any further.
I kinda need to make money with my tools, or they can sit there until the right time comes by. It's fun for me to learn.

A while back, when there were a few extra $'s around, I suppose I should have gotten some silver, but I did not, and now can not... lol

Life in the slo lane!
rc