How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dog Days --What's your weather forecast?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 am 

SC Yankee wrote:
Bah....I have my full face helmet and leathers,,,,I'll be fine.

:shock:
Good for you!

I ain't that tough...

I recall, many moons ago... with leathers but no helmet, it was cold enough at road speed to bring tears to my eyes !
Almost as much pain as the time I froze my fingers with liquid propane.... Man! THAT really hurt !
...on the motorcycle, I had a couple hundred miles to go... and I was drafting in behind a diesel truck to try and cut the wind a little bit... woke up with a start when I bumped the steel guard hanging down from the back of the truck's trailer !
Didn't do that so closely anymore. :roll:

...and I learned that wrapping a rope around the tire, through the spokes does NOTHING for traction in the snow... :lol:
Let out the clutch and boom! straight down! :lol:
Absolutely uncontrollable on black ice. Can't even aim...
rc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm 

didn't even get wet.. It was fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 am 

still here,turned out to be kinda a dud...thanks fer wonderin.mid 60s and 8) today

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 am 

Hi --

71F here and sunny forecasted N. of Dallas! But by Tuesday, freezing rain, sleet and snow! Talk about volotile weather!

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 pm 

Well no sense complaining about the weather, cause if you're in the central part of the US you've got cold and you've got snow. Those 70's of last week are a distant memory. We're at the So. end of this snow train, and we got an inch of ice under about 2" of snow. It's the ice that closed most of the schools and lots of the stores, streets are deserted and what's out there is going 20mph or less. Nothing is melting cause it's 20 degrees and going down, so probably no schools open tomorrow either. Good thing here is that the ice fell as pellets and didn't coat the power lines, so we still have power. But the wind gusts up to 30mph suck the heat right out of these TX houses! Good thing I brought in some firewood to supl. the furnace, still we're going to have a nasty gas bill this month.
Good luck to all out there, Neal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:44 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Round about the 8th grade I did a science project on the coming climate change that was to destroy mankind as we knew him. Yes as far back as 1968 we were taught of the doom and gloom of the coming climate change. So I studied and I gathered all the info from all the top scientist of our day. By the time I was finished with my project I was a scared ****less little dude. Oh you bet I was I had all the "Facts" from all the "Scientists"
I was so excited to be the one to let man kind know about this coming doomsday. I worked my butt off I had the visuals and all the reports and the day of the science fair it was perfect.............................................

MY REPORT OF THE COMING ICE AGE THAT WAS TO DESTROY ALL OF MANKIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say as I got older I was a relieved but also a tad disappointed that my first place project was in the not so distant future to be discovered as NOT TRUE the facts were all wrong, How could this be 43 years later and I am still waiting for the ICE AGE but no not so fast now.

GLOBAL WARMING is new disaster what a CROCK. And to think I once as little dude trusted these Scientists with my science project. Oh well I still got an A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 am 

If enough people are interested in something, scientists get paid to study it. Scientists learned long ago they can influence what people are interested in. Keep the interest going and you stay employed. Been there seen it for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am 

well it is not a dog day. It is ground hog day. Cloudy here . hi all Lee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm 

hope you all are enjoying needing coats and stuff. I'm outside without even a jacket.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 am 

HI --

Yup, cold as hell here N. of Dallas. Haven't left the house since Monday afternoon when we bopped into town to get supplies. All electric house gonna get quite a bill! Some pipes frozen lightly upstairs so here we go worried about leaks when the freeze lets up Friday or Saturday.

And to think I started this thread because of the heat in the summer!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 am 

We set in a valley that has a mountain range to our east and the Sierras to the west. The cold winter air from the sierras does not always make it into the valley before the meet the next mountain range. This causes warm air to be trapped below cold air in what is called an inversion. No wind no cold no fresh air either. If it goes on to long the air gets pretty dirty. It does tend to give us mild winters though that often do not really cause the trees and such to go dormant. resulting in poor spring growth.
This same effect, or as they call it, Shadow of the mountain. also causes moisture to pass us over. Just 20 minutes drive to the west is some of the most lush alpine forest in the country. the same distance to the east and you have farm land. But here in a little valley that you could walk the length or breadth of in 2 hours. We have our own climate that is uniquely our own. We are looking at reaching 52 degrees today even though right now it is only 24. do to the effect of that Shadow tomorrow looks to be nearly 60. This will go on until the fruit trees are enticed to bloom, then freezing temperatures will set in again making it nearly impossible to grow fruit in this valley. While to the east they grow world class Cantaloupe and to the west is, well California. Just a couple of hours south of us is Death Valley which happens to exist because it is also in the Shadow of the Sierras. Horrid place this is. if you where to break down while traveling you could very well be dead in a matter of hours. It happens fairly often. I have known of people that went off road and never returned. I jokingly posted in another thread that I could take a picture of entire valleys that even rocks will not grow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 am 

65 dg ,put a few eight day old sky aztec rustic plants in the ground this morning.dont adjust your set this is just a test

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 am 

Got 6 more inches of snow here in big D for superbowl weekend! That on top of an inch of ice makes the roads out there very quiet. Walked out to the main road to see very few cars, can't even see the sidewalks let alone the lane markings. Got back to the house and had to push a guy stuck with his rear wheeled car cause he could'nt get any traction. Won't get out of the 20's again today, supposed to be in the 40's for superbowl weekend. All schools closed for 3rd day, pre s-bowl activities mostly cancelled. No new groceries to sell at our store, some cars and customers can get there but the 18 wheelers can't.
Even the kids are tired of the ice and snow.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 am 

:lol: :lol: lee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:42 am 

been there done that :lol: :lol: me I'd rather complain when it gets cloudy or below 60º I do feel sorry for you''all just not much :lol: :lol: lee

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next