How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dog Days --What's your weather forecast?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:39 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I think were entering a void here no one knows what the weather is gonna be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:41 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Boy,,, Never seen a question mark before on the weather bug weather forecast, kind of scary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:11 am 

Snowed 6 inches again over night, now it's raining and the electricity has went out twice this morning so far. :evil:
Next it will be on the news about flooding here and there.
And now the County snowplows are blocking my driveway with a wall of snow :x :x :x :x :x
The same house in the last picture 5 days apart.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am 

Yea, it really looks like spring out there, doesn't it. We are on the edge of the current wave of clouds coming off the pacific. We are getting a snow / rain mix here with all the major snow south of us today. Pullman has 15 more inches this morning, Asotin has 11. And Asotin is down on the Snake River in what we call the banana belt zone of of eastern washington where it hardly ever snows.

This crap is really getting depressing. 104 days with snow on the ground here now and still counting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:21 pm 

Finally a prediction of rain for my west-central TX location, yeehaw! Several days next week with 60% chance for rain. So i'm going to risk it all and plant early next week just before it rains. A total of 268 plants if the orientals that i planted last week are still alive. Gonna plant em, water them in and hope that it actually does rain. If it doesn't i'll have to start over, cause there is no subsoil moisture and i don't have enough reserve plants to replant. Ain't gardening fun!
Regards, Neal
ps - my new 32w cool lights really worked great, transplantable plants in just 6 weeks.
Havana 503 and Yellow Orinoco (front) and ONe sucker, Madole (rear).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 am 

Whahoo, finally had some rain here in N.central TX, hope you got some too BK! Gonna plant tomorrow cause more rain predicted for later in the week. Plants were outside hardening, but they came through the storm ok cause they were protected by trees and branches. Some of the veggie garden may have got pounded, but you gotta take the bad with the good when it comes to weather. Can always replant, but you can't go without rain for very long.
Now if I can just figure out how to get 14 trays of plants into a Dodge caravan, i can get the job done.
Yeehaw! Neal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Thurs, april 14th - just got hit with a rain=hail-wind storm, all my reserve baccy plants outside hardening, will see tomorrow what's left, too bad maters were already flowering! Oh well, that's gardening. Looks like storms missed my country plots, but high winds predicted for tomorrow, can shred and kill baccy plants as dead as hail. Will replant replacements from seeding cups tomorrow just in case.
Regards, Neal
Tomato plants after hail storm. The white are hail stones about the size of a nickle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 pm 

Coldest spring ever. Tomorrow it will be official, being the latest date in history to reach 60 degrees for the first time. No hope for 60 in the 10 day forecast either. We have had wind, rain, snow, more wind, and temps in the low 20's every night. Only 9 days in the last 70 have made the normal days high.

My little mini green house is crammed full of flats full of plants with an electric heater and fan running 24/7, and are waiting to move to the big green house. But I can't keep it warm enough in there yet. So I am putting in a 5000 watt heater. My "big" green house is only 10 x 14. Hope it will be enough. It will surely make my electric meter spin. I sure wish I could tap Lonnie's pipeline.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 am 

Have the opposite problem here in Texas, hot and dry. Highs in the mid 90's already with very little rain, weather.com says many parts of TX driest March since records started in 1890's. Big fire in Palo pinto co. near Possum Kingdom lake is just a few miles from where i'm at in Hood co., it's that dry! And the wind is the relentless plant killer, back and forth til they snap off at the base and blow away. I've replanted everything twice and some 3 times. I've resisted turning on the irrigation due to cost, but I can't hand water everything, don't have the water, energy or time. Running out of spare tobacco plants, if we don't get the predicted rain this week i'll have to rethink my gardening plan.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:51 am 

lipantxguy wrote:
Have the opposite problem here in Texas, hot and dry. Highs in the mid 90's already with very little rain, weather.com says many parts of TX driest March since records started in 1890's. Big fire in Palo pinto co. near Possum Kingdom lake is just a few miles from where i'm at in Hood co., it's that dry! And the wind is the relentless plant killer, back and forth til they snap off at the base and blow away. I've replanted everything twice and some 3 times. I've resisted turning on the irrigation due to cost, but I can't hand water everything, don't have the water, energy or time. Running out of spare tobacco plants, if we don't get the predicted rain this week i'll have to rethink my gardening plan.
Regards, Neal

Yea, I seen the forecast.... Mine sucks but no rain and dry.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 am 

Finally . . . finally - some significant rains without the hail and damaging winds. Maybe we'll have a gardening season after all. My last replant took most of my reserve plants, but maybe this time they'll survive the transplant this time and actually grow!
Not to be insensitive to those who have had devastating weather this spring, a little drought and no garden is nothing compared to losing your house and other property. We grieve for those who have lost so much, loss of a garden is no comparison to the suffering going on in many areas of our country.
Still, it's encouraging to have our meager efforts rewarded with a little gentle rain and the hope that they will survive this time.
Good luck to you all with whatever you are dealing with.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 am 

It's dry in Texas
A buddy out of Waco said he'd killed a mosquito that was carrying a canteen.

A man in Abilene said the chicken farmers were giving the chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

In Tyler , they caught a 20 lb catfish that had ticks on it!

But just this week, in Austin, a fire hydrant was seen bribing a dog.

It's so dry in Texas that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling,
the Methodists are using wet-wipes,
the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks,
and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water.

Now THAT's DRY!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 am 

Ok, go ahead and laugh, but it ain't funny here! Garden all dried up, including tobacco, and that's applying 10,000 gallons of water a month. Even peppers are losing their leaves, and they're relatively resistant to heat! ONly sweet potatoes are still alive, as long as they have water.
Cracks in the ground are so big they represent a public safety hazzard. There was supposed to be a tropical storm pass thru here, but as soon as it got onshore it dried up. Now that's dry!
Gonna try drip irrigation next year, but that's next year, 7 months from now. Til then, got to use last years crop.
So enjoy your rain if you got it, cooler temps too. Gonna be 110º or so here again today with no change in sight.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:14 am 

hi Neal
I wasn't laughing just posted a email I got. I know what it is like to fight weather. only thing is you cann't do much to change it. like bob's globel warming coup[le years back. So just have to live wuith it and make jokes to keep from pulling hair. lee

Ps showed a weather gage that was a beer cap stuck on top of fence post.
It will get better . it did before. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 pm 

We're 17 inches behind on our annual rainfall. We've had .9 inches of rain in August as opposed to the usual 2.30. It's been over 100 degrees 70 something days since June first but I've managed to raise a bumper crop of tinder!
This Winter, between blizzards, I'm putting in some cisterns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next