How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Dog Days --What's your weather forecast?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 am 

Hi --

We're looking at many day of 100F plus temps and no rain. Accuweather 15 day forecast shows cooling coming sometime around August 12. Of course, all my tobacco is getting ripe so I hope lonnie is right that hot, dry weather makes better smoke.

Here's our forecast N. of Dallas, Texas

This Afternoon

Isolated Sprinkles (don't believe it)
Hi 101 °F

Tonight

Partly Cloudy
Lo 73 °F

Sunday

Hot
Hi 102 °F

Sunday Night

Mostly Clear
Lo 75 °F

Monday

Hot
Hi 102 °F

Monday Night

Mostly Clear
Lo 76 °F

Tuesday

Hot
Hi 102 °F

Tuesday Night

Mostly Clear
Lo 77 °F

Wednesday

Hot
Hi 100 °F

Whew....

Bob

Post subject: Re: Dog Days --What's your weather forecast?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 pm 

We're gonna have THI's in the 100's 'til midweek at least. Right now we have a heat advisory until 7PM tomorrow! Forecast says 83 degrees tomorrow at 7AM.
In other words a typical summer day in Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:56 am 

Forecast here? Hot & Sticky
High temps & high humidity are making life rough but were trying to use this weather for good instead of evil.

Been doing a mock flue cure experiment with a tin shed and a couple of vaporizers and heat lamps.
Ramping up the temps have been the easy part but chasing off the humidity during the drying stage has been a bit more challenging.
So far so good though the first batch came out fine and I need to reload the shed this morning with a second batch of Virginia.

Turkish is being a pain we had to go with stringers on bamboo sticks and bring them in at night because of excessive dew.
The Burley is taking its sweet time but were starting to get a few tops forming

Be glad when all the harvesting,color curing & drying gets done and hopefully we can pack the shed with everything and start on using it for a finishing chamber before the temps fall off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:30 am 

Hi --

Updated forecast for today --

Today: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm

105!!!!

I think we might go to the mall this afternoon...

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:53 am 

HOT N DRY.... HOT N DRY .. HOT N DRY ... one day 99 next day 101 .... an i need rain, im gonna kill another snake dangit.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 am 

Hi --

GET THIS new forecast for N. Central Texas

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 107. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 107. Southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 103. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 101. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 102.

HOT HOT HOT

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:43 am 

Twenty miles south of Bob, it was 85 degrees this morning at 6am on my back porch (in the shade). So it's going to be hot. Good thing is that with irrigation, the garden grows like crazy. I just have to come up with the dough for the water bill! Not to mention the electric bill for A/C. We do set the temp at 84 and wear shorts, but it's still going to be a big bill this month.
Soil mositure at the baccy plantation is ok with every 3 day watering for 1 1/2 hours (about 1/2 in.) and that costs around $90 per month. Should be done harvesting by Sept, so will shut it off then. Four months of water plus service charge, about $500. Then again, if I didn't garden i'd probably spend money doing something else (fishing, boating, hunting, golfing) it all costs money! So what the heck!
Let's enjoy the heat, it will be winter soon enough.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 am 

Hi --

lipantxguy, I haven't watered the tobacco for almost two months no. In that time we had one nice rain, a couple of light showers. They are still looking good! I think once they establish a deep root system, they are very drought tolerant.

Time to get in the truck ac and crank it up! Go use Wal Mart's AC for a little shopping then to the homebrew beer store in Richardson!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am 

Bob:
I know baccy is drought resistant, but I'm chicken, too much time and money invested to stop now! Maybe just august and that's it. Even with water, they wilt big time at mid-day. Probably helps them not fall over if it's windy.
Speaking of home brew stores, they used to sell a quart can of everything to make beer except the sugar, do they still sell that product? I still have my 20 gallon crock, might get tempted if that easy to brew product was still available. I googled it a while back but didn't find it, that's why I ask.
Neal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:47 pm 

Hi --

Try Homebrew Headquarters on Coit Rd in Richardson. I buy the supplies, yeast, malt syrup and corn sugar there. It's pretty easy to brew beer if you have a large enough pot. I use my 7-1/2 gallon pressure cooker. I use the 100 lbs. pool chlorine plastic buckets for primary and secondary fermenters. Buy an airlock at the homebrew store (get two), cut holes in the lids and you are ready.

Warning - Beer likes to ferment at temps no higher than 80F, 70F is better and if you want to make a lager, 60F for fermentation then around 35-40F for the lagering. That makes it a bad time to make beer now unless you have a dedicated refrigerator that you have set up for those temps, unless you are wiling to pay the a/c bill to keep the house that cold (which I'm certainly not!).

I'm looking into growing a barley crop over winter to harvest in spring too!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:04 pm 

Hey!

We never got to 107F! It was only 104!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm 

only made it to 103 here today... whew ... an i was splittin poles with a double bladed axe till a few mins ago ..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm 

We had over 10 inches of rain for July here in S.W. WI. My potted plants are doing swell but the backyard plot is kind of swamped.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:59 pm 

Cloudy/overcast, no sun, high about 65F, low about 60F.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm 

normal for SC here.

Hot and Humid, with brief pop up showers/storms in the afternoon. Every day... It really boring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next