How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MAB 2017 (Annus Horribilis)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

Hi MAB.

I have never grown in the extreme heat you and your plants face, but would it not be better to water only every couple of days and with more water ?

The plants usually respond with stronger root growth, because water is going deeper into the ground and the plant send the roots deeper while the surface dries out - this would also result in heavier (=better quality) leaves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 am 

@ Rusty, I've seen Marie photos and have a very nice crop ... maybe she did not have time to devote to the forum ...

@ permaculturer,
you're perfectly right, it's just a matter of organization: I have to give water early in the morning and 1 liter of water for each plant is very challenging (there are 50 plants) ... I do not have time to give 2 liters ... today anyway it is raining!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 am 

FLOWERS !!

Hello people, on Sunday, October 22, 2017 , 205 days have passed since planting my plants and the garden has flourished 50% ... :D

In this view you can see the difference between the Garden B (the tallest) and the Garden A (the lowest one) because the transplants were not all the same day (I had serious problems with germination this' year!).

Garden B

These plants are on the 16th, 17th, and 18th weeks after the transplant, and the heights vary from 200cm to the largest to 170cm the smallest.

Garden A

These plants are at the 16th week after transplantation (day more or less), and the heights vary from 180 cm to the largest to 150 cm smaller. Among other things, this field is attacked by one or more moles and at least three plants have had damaged roots.

Harvesting:
As you can see from the photos I have already started harvesting: all the leaves in the lower stem have been harvested and have already cured for the color. I also did a bit of harvesting the leaves of the middle stalk and I will still have two or three rounds of harvest.
The leaves of the high stem I harvest with the stem and hang them with the stem in the cellar, as I did all the years past.

Yellowing
I'm doing the yellowing on piles because it's not so hot and the mass of tobacco releases heat. I'm not turning the leaves every day but every three days and I do not see mold ... until now in a week the leaves are ready to hang to dry.

Virginia Sun cured

Again this year I put the yellow leaves to dry in the sun (when there is the sun, here is autumn) because last year Virginia was remarkable (but I do not know if it was out of the sun)

The Samsun, on the other hand, picked it up with the whole stem and I'll talk to him in the next post.

Goodbye!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm 

I envy those gold leaves.
But MAB... you live close to a Canal. Its full of Water.
Come on!
there are pumps on youtube.
I have several 12 v pumps from youtube, I empty boats, tarps or ponds with them.
They are cheap and worth while,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:42 am 

Jens, the golden leaves it's easy to have them, just put the tobacco in a pile (then they get dry and become hazelnut).
The water of the river: this season I needed it because we had a very safe summer! It's never rained!
But first I should do the analysis of this canal water, my neighbor uses it for the vegetable garden and never has a good harvest! He says that once there were fish, now there is nothing more, just a few crazy carps.
But my priority now is to eliminate moles and / or rats that dig tunnels and ruin roots of plants.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 pm 

oh, sorry. I hadnt seen that you said the Water in the Canal was polluted. Thats a great shame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am 

Hello Everyone, the end of last week has completed the blooming!

All after 212 days of sowing! Sic!
However, I thought it would be a disaster and instead with the mild autumn we are having huge plants, we are around 180/200 centimeters ...

Meanwhile, I selected the seeds capsules, few but good:

However, I also sacked another plant because the one from which these seeds eventually came to know I got sick, was too yellow in the apical leaves ...

Samsun curing

So since I do not want and time to treat the Samsun so small leaves in a traditional way, I decided to treat it with the whole stem (which would be Burley's traditional cure).
So, once it's blooming, I cut my stem at the base, put it a couple of days in the shade in a wet area (like under an open-air shed) and then hanging in the sun:

And as for magic, slowly the green leaf is colored with a beautiful reddish brown:

And here's the end result:

there was an advertisement in Italy saying: "Tell him with a flower"

Goodbye :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am 

Hi everyone, Sunday 5 November I can say cultivation ended, after about 220 days from sowing!

Seeing the garden so empty comes melancholy

Now, all harvest is at home: the low stem leaves are already curated and canned:

The top leaves I am curing hanging in the basement left attached to the stem:

It is a system that I started cultivating the first time, in 2014, I was advised by Rustycase (thanks amigo!) And I have always found it well.

Instead, the leaves harvested from the middle stem, I am curing them into piles and then also hanging in the cellar under a plastic towel.

However, they are not so good to me, many leaves, in the end become yellow and brown, like creamy-chocolate ice cream :-)

Goodbye!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm 

Wow, nice crop ! I am at the end of the season, too. I 'll have more than last year.
The Bursa leaves seem to take a long time to cure. Maybe, not enough heat? But Virginia and YTB are curing great and no problem with mildew this year. I have started to smoke the dried and cured YTB : beautiful colour and nice taste, milder than the Virginia.
And the last plants in the garden all got frozen....well, that's OK, I have enough boxes stored !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am 

Hi Marie and thank you! I thought you had already boxed all the leaves ... yes, the heat accelerates the cure (and I believe that the tobacco is better, but I do not know!)
How are you doing Bursa? Hanging in the air?
Your YTB is milder than Virginia but you're smoking the low leaves or have you mixed all the leaves? (low stalk, medium stalk, top stalk) ... my last year is strong enough but the mix with Samsun and I can smoke it ... did I even send Samsun seeds?
But did not you smoke Bursa yet? A healed leaf taken from the middle of the stalk, you could make an attempt ...
Did you still have plants in the garden? But was the second growth?
LOL how many questions!
I'm glad that everything goes well and you have more tobacco than last year!
Hi Marie and sorry for all the questions :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hello Mab, I am almost done with packing the leaves. It looks like I will have to discard the very last ones I had picked. They have been hanging for a very long time and it looks like they won't turn brown or yellow. They are a greyish green now and I think they will stay that way (they all were from second shoots from the main stems).I think I have been smoking the lower and middle leaves from the YTB. I really like it ! Yes, you sent me some samsun. I will try it next season. I think I will not do Bursa again, leaves are too small and they never got to that beautiful yellow like yours. Maybe that strain really is for mediterranean areas. I mixed the dried Bursa leaves with the Golden Virginia in same boxes. Yes, I should get a few out and try them ! Now I have a question about Burley (you sent me some, too and I want to try it next season ). Does Burley have to age for several years after being stored in boxes? I think I had read something about this on the forum.
Mab, remember ! You can smoke and enjoy it without having to inhale the smoke !! I have never inhaled smoke...nothing in my lungs!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 am 

Hello Marie, among my notes I found this writing by Skychaser:
"Some of the whites derived Burleys aged fairly quickly. Harrow Velvet and Golden Burley are smokable in 2-3 months. Kentucky Burleys smoke quite well after 4-5 months, TN 90 and 86 needs 7-8 months. The longer they age, the better they get.
Burley 21 needs a year and then it's delicious. Try smoking after just a couple of months and it will be close to you to kill. Lol "

I can add from my experience that untopped plants are smoky long before that the topped plants and I think smoke is less harsh if the harvest is anticipated (I started smoking my 2015 TN90 at the end of June 2016 and it was really mild).
Still, I noticed that the pressed brick aging is faster than 3 or 4 months compared to a aging with loose leaves ... but this for Virginia Gold, I do not know if it is also true for Burley, but I think yes.

Small update:

The leaves of the mid-stalk have finished curing and the central vein is dry, so they have filled three card-boxes.
These are leaves about 42 cm (17inch) long:

These are leaves about 60 cm long. (24 inch):

And these are leaves about 65 cm long. (26 inch):

The Top leaves that I hung with the stalk in the cellar the first days of November, began to cure and after 20 days I started stripping:

This year is really an anomalous year: I've never had the top leaves so yellow, indeed, they have always been very dark!

Moreover, it is hard work to try to dry the central vein and so all the radiators in my house are full of leaves to dry (and my wife is very sad ... lol):

For the cure in the cellar the problem is that the part of the cellar where I had hung the stems is too dark to see if the leaves are ready to be stripped, so I moved all the stems and I hung them in the light:

I hope this change does not negatively affect the cure of the top leaves !!
I will let you know in the next update.

Goodbye!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:03 pm 

Thank you for the information about the white stem burleys.And as usual , I like your photos. I also finish drying the last leaves in the kitchen next to the wood-burning stove for one night before storing them in the cardboard box .I also have more "yellow" this year , even the Golden Virginia. Last year, they all turned a very dark brown. Why don't you cut out the main rib from your leaves ? I never wait until it is completely dry...too long !
Well, I am finished for this season. Only 5 or 6 leaves are still hanging, they 'll be in the box tomorrow !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am 

Thanks Marie! But even your photos are beautiful, I remember Virginia last year in the large pots of earthenware on the lawn, very picturesque !
The first year I had begun to remove the central rib in two or three leaves, then I stopped for lack of time ... when I resumed, the central rib was dry and I realized that it is much faster to remove than when it is still moist/wet: when it is dry just a quick tear (well, I do not have much patience for manual precision work) so I always waited when the rib is dry that normally does not take long here.
Hey Marie, are you happy with your crop? Also this year you will not depend on the tobacco shop;)