How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vfox's 2017 season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:13 am 

rustycase wrote:
Well, I have never tried quadrivalvus, so can't be of specific assistance. You might want to tent the entire plant ?

Most sewing shops have organza/tulle... that will work... bridal veil material.

Should be too hard to fold a large piece into some sort of rectangle shape, then use a stapler on two edges to make a quick bag.
Make it long and loose enough to tie a piece of string around it at the bottom.

Good luck !
rc

So far the N. quadrivalvus was the first one to flower for me. I've suckered and topped the N. rustica that is flowering and bagged off the flowers on several of them. That being said, I haven't bagged the quadrivalvis at all, I've let it open to the air for the time being since all others are either not in bloom or bagged. The N. clevelandii seems to be a variety of the same tobacco but it's growing much more slowly so I haven't had to worry about it yet either. It's an interesting field this year, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm 

Yes, growing tobacco has been Very interesting for me ! Helpful members here on HTGT have taught me about so many things that are associated in some way. Then again, everything is related, one way or another.

As you might see by my 'Distracted' thread, over in the Lounge, I get involved in any number of things.
All fun stuff !
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm 

Had a wicked storm come through two days ago. Most of my largest N. rustica had slanted over, none broke luckily. I propped what I could back upright but their root system certainly isn't as deep as N. tabacum.

It's interesting to see the variations among N. rustica strains, the tallest and least amounts to of suckers has been from Isleta Pueblo, the shortest and most suckers has been the Delaware strain.

how to upload photo to forum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 pm 

I need to do some major weeding lol. Garden kinda got away from me this year, but everything is growing very well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 am 

Hi Vfox, how are you doing? I see a beautiful cultivation ...-APPLAUSE-
Yes, the weeds are a bit many ... lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:12 am 

MAB wrote:
Hi Vfox, how are you doing? I see a beautiful cultivation ...-APPLAUSE-
Yes, the weeds are a bit many ... lol

Yes, haha. The weeds have gotten out of hand this year but I've been starting a business so it's been neglected a bit. That being said I have managed to sucker them every 3 days or so and bag at least one flower bunch for each species growing so I'll have lots of seeds for the 20 some species I'm growing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 am 

Oh goodness, the weeds. Lol. I am a bad plant parent this year. But! They are still all doing amazingly well. The Nicotiana clevelandii and quadrivalvis are already harvested and I'm starting to prime the rustica species as they become ripe. The one that really blew me away was the Havana Gold, that stuff ended up 10ft tall before I topped the first one. Even topped it's still like 7ft. The white stemmed burley is maturing early this year too, poor weather I guess, all the tobacco farmers around here already started their early harvest, we are a month ahead of schedule.

Last edited by Vfox on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 am 

As for an analysis of rustica species... They are all very different but two really stuck out at unique to me, Isleta Pueblo and Sacred Cornplanter. The Isleta Pueblo is by far the tallest at just over 4ft and has very few suckers but also fewer leaves. The Sacred Cornplanter has the largest and thickest leaves, some over a foot long and 10 inches wide. They feel thicker than any other leaf except the Nicotiana glauca which is almost like a succulent. Cornplanter has grown to just over 2 1/2 foot and has moderate suckers and a good leaf volume. Mohawk has been the weakest contender at barely 18inches tall, loads of suckers and small thin leaves. Delaware, Hopi and Thuoc lao are very similar in appearance, lots of suckers, medium sized 7 inch long in their largest leaves and relatively short at about 2ft. Overall though they've all grown exceptionally well and have endured very heavy suckering without issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

:-)
Whole buncha baccy in them pics !
I can see a lot of work in your future !!! lol
All fun stuff...
Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 am 

Very soon here I'll be harvesting the white stemmed burley, it's very yellowed out at this point. Just another couple shots of the weed infested garden lol. Also a close up of the Nicotiana sylvestris, beautiful long flowers on that one.