How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAB 2017 (Annus Horribilis)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am 

Hello people! Are you all ok? I hope so!

So, this year I was wrong about sowing soil, and here's the result after 112 days from the sowing day:

Virginia Gold (garden B):

Virginia Gold (garden A):

Samsun :

Image]

In the other years I steal a bit of sowing soil to my wife (usually geraniums) and everything was fine; This year I had the “brilliant” idea of buying organic soil and seeds have germinated but the seedlings did not grow! I did a little grow with fertilizer and I put them still small in the garden... but now they are growing!
If September is a beautiful month I should have a decent harvest.
In the garden: 40 plants of Virginia Gold and 8 Samsun Plants.

Marieee, let's see your plantation ;.-)

Last edited by MAB on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MAB 2017 (Annus Horribilis)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:43 am 

Hello MAB ! I was wondering where you were..Yes, I will take pictures but it seems there is a problem to post them here now. We can't see your pictures !
My babies are growing great. The Yellow Twist Buds are a lot slower though !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:59 am 

Damn, yesterday I saw the pictures! I'm going to study how to solve the problem ...
Marie, with YTB I've always had problems but it seems to slow grow and then suddenly take off!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 am 

Use another hosting site instead of photobucket. Photobucket is charging a large fee to link pics on 3rd party sites and forums so use something like Imgur instead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:18 am 

Yes, I changed hosting site, now I see the pictures and I hope to continue to see :D

A greeting to Australia :D

Oh no, damnation, photobucket took all my photos of the past years!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 am 

Thanks MAB. G'day to all the growers in Italy (I think that's where you are, from memory)

Good luck with this years grow. You seem to do well with your baccy, so no luck is really needed :)

I won't get a chance to do a grow this year unless it is a very late one, I'm away for work and won't get back till November and besides, place where I was doing previous grows might be getting sold. Still have 3 plants in pots from last time that are still growing out in the common car park, out the back of my flat but they really need to be pulled and new ones put in.

Look forward to seeing the progress of your grow log. 'Av a good one!

Cheers
ANT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:06 pm 

Sowing soil is usually without much fertilizer, because it IS sowing soil, and the seeds are supposed to bring their own fertilizer with them. But not so with Tobacco, the seeds are miniature and they need fertile soil to germinate in. I used to germinate them in Classic sowing soil, and soon after to replant them in something better. It is my experience that Tobacco is a very greedy plant, fertilizer wise. I dont grow Tobacco this year, I only have a few plants in my hydroponics system, where I use them as indicators of fertilizer and a few self propagated plants among my onions. I will let a few grow up to see if they can self propagate again and such prove they can survive in a Scandinavian climate by themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:08 pm 

BTW, and thats absurd. My self propagated Tobacco plants are of the same size as yours, Mab. Thats really strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 pm 

BTW, Again Map. Why the hell dont you do anything about the quality of your soil. You live on a river bank! 12 v and a pump, and you have all the Water in the World. A rake and you have all the soaked compost in the World. Your soil seems to be hard, dry lime clay. It could be so much improved!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 am 

Hi Jens, the problem was the sowing plant, in the garden things are much better, keep in mind that I make a hole in the ground and put my compost ... so the soil out is hard, clay, but in the Holes is friable.

Here is the situation Sunday

Garden A

These plants have been transplanted 4 weeks ago but were very small! I will post a photo next time.

Garden B

These plants have been transplanted 6, 5, 4 weeks ago (You can see from the height)

Il Samsun

@ Ant
I'm back with time to cultivate, I hope this year we have an "Italian September" ... because last September was horrible!

I have to retrieve Marie, I'm very curious to see how Bursa grows in France :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:07 pm 

MAB, this weekend, I'll take pictures. That's a promise and I just hope I won't have to fight too much to manage to post a picture !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:40 am 

Marie, last year where were your pictures hosted?
I now, after photobucket, are on Postimage.org!
And maybe it's French (I'm not sure)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am 

I used Photobucket but I will try Postimage this weekend. Summer is back today, here !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:16 am 

Hello Everyone, so Sunday, August 27, 2017 is the eighth, ninth, and tenth week of the transplant on the garden (I did not transplant all the same day but in three weeks):

As far as I'm concerned, I can say that the so-called Knee-High Phase is the most common for all plants, meaning that the plant once transplanted into the soil within about 4 weeks reaches a height of 60 cm.
So I'm very late with the cultivation because as I have already written I used a sowing soil that was not nourishing.
This is the soil of sowing that I had stolen by my wife in the past years I sowed the tobacco:

As we see it has listed nutrients, Nitrogen (N) 1%, Copper (Cu), Zinc (Zn), Carbon.

This is the organic sowing soil I bought and used this year:

As you can see, it has no listed nourishment, so seedlings did not grow!

Finally, I decided to put the seedlings in the garden, even if they did not grow up enough as last attempt, and here's their measure:

They were really very small compared to the seedlings I had over the past years:

So I'm now in mid-season, now there's the fast growing phase that will end with blooming. And it is an annus horribilis for the heat too: so hot and no real rain ... so I have to give 1 liter of water every day!
Jpsdk says I should use river water ... I do not trust this water, it's a small canal that is used by farmerss, I do not know what they pour into us ... there are no more fish, not even the frogs, because ? One of my old homemates said she was once full of fish!

For today it's all we see next time :-)
Goodbye ,
MAB (Marc on American Blend)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

I really do not think a great deal of soil amendments would be required in your garden, Marco.

Compost is good, coffee grounds & tea bags... I use all sorts of household scrap paper and such... junk mail !

I do not spend money on fertilizer.

I do use the starter soil, in small cups, then plant in the dirt.

If the plant doesn't like what you put in the hole, the roots will probably reach out farther !

Not to worry !
rc

Oh! I would really like to see pictures of Marie's garden this year ! :-)