How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Grow Log 2017
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 am 

I planted Burley and Virginia on 2-05, then Burley Virginia, Latakia and havana on 2-15.

What do you think of the pic of my homemade incubation chamber? It works pretty good, huh?

As you can see from the pictures the plants have come up nicely, and the 1st planting of the Virginia and the Burley have been re-potted on 2-24

More pics to come!

Post subject: Re: 1st Grow Log 2017
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 pm 

cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4843&fullsize=1

cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4841&fullsize=1

cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4840&fullsize=1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hello, your plants are coming up nice . I just started my seeds 2days ago. I do it in the house, behind the stove. I can't remember though, how long it takes for the plants to germinate...I'll see ! How long did it take for you ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:46 pm 

Mine took about ten days to germinate. They all came up very well.

I have about 400 now :roll: , all potted up in 16 oz. cups. They just got a weak shot of fertilizer and the biggest leaves are about the size of a nickel.

I always say "If you're going to go small, don't go at all"...

I think this is VG

cpg14x/albums/userpics/169735/normal_resc.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:17 am 

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4859&fullsize=1

As you can see, I threw this thing together on the fly (note the "Duck" Tape :mrgreen: ) Usually I just start my veggies in these crates and bring them in and out as the weather permits, but this year I decided to try some lights. These are just some bulbs I picked up at LOWES. I'm not sure how well they will work, but we shall see. My plants are growing slow, but they are not spindly at all. I rotate the boxes about three times a day. Other than seeming small (to me) for their age, they look healthy. I'll still move all of these outside on warmer sunny days, most of the crates have clear lids, so they'll be mini-greenhouses.

I've also got 8 ea. of Cherokee Purple, and San Marzano Tomatoes started already for my early crop. It's time to get about 200 more going for the main crop....I'm not sure where I'll put them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 am 

They are starting to come along now. I got things a bit wet when transplanting, and I think it's affected the root development. Still growing slow, but that's ok as I got them in a bit too early.

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/cpg14x/albums/userpics/169735/plants_res.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 am 

perfect! cute seedlings
you have a good fun :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 pm 

They look healthy and happy !
Be cautious not to over-water.
You are going to have great fun with this project !
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 am 

I do believe my plants have suffered from too much water, but most likely from not enough holes in the cups. My home internet is out, or I'd post up some more pics. I have put most in the ground and they are doing well. I trimmed about half of each leaf off before transplanting to lessen transplant shock. I have about half covered with 2 liter soda bottles with their bottoms cut out. Both covered and uncovered look great.

I also found that my 'indelible' marker I labeled my cups with washed off on some so I dont even know what some are now. I guess I have about 150 in, as well as 100 tomatoes, 200 feet of onions, a new grape arbor, 12 new asian pears and peaches, and 200 feet of yukon gold potatoes.....busy busy busy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm 

Since you've planted them in the ground I don't really see why you would need anything covering them. Unless you are afraid of a hard rain pounding them. Once the plant has a good root base the need to cover them is not needed. Sometimes if they are covered and happen to get over watered and over heated at the same time they can do something called damping off. The stem exposed between the plant and the soil will kinda just melt away. At that point there is no saving the plant.

Has this happened to me....yep..lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 am 

It's still a bit chilly here and we are having thunderstorms and downpours on the days it warms up good. Covering semi-tropical or tropical plants in the spring usually speeds up growth too. I like experimenting also to see what works best firsthand.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:42 am 

Still chilly here, but it looks like the cool weather pattern is about to break up. I have some insect damage on some of the uncovered plants, looks like slugs, but I have not seen any.

It's been about ten degrees cooler than normal here all month. It looks like the noted S. American Global Cooling Climatologist, Alberto Gorez, was right all along. Another Maunder Minimum is here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 pm 

HoamGroan wrote:
Still chilly here, but it looks like the cool weather pattern is about to break up. I have some insect damage on some of the uncovered plants, looks like slugs, but I have not seen any.

It's been about ten degrees cooler than normal here all month. It looks like the noted S. American Global Cooling Climatologist, Alberto Gorez, was right all along. Another Maunder Minimum is here.

I know what you mean about early spring like weather. I am already into the mid 80's in the daytime. Looks like I'm going to get more than 190 days of frost free growing this year. I hope its not dry like it was last year. We didn't get rain for 4 months and everything not within the reach of my water hose suffered terribly.
Best of luck to ya. I hope you post some pics of your progress. Pics are always great to see.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:18 am 

I now have about 100 plants in the ground. I have only lost 1 so far, and most are looking great. It's amazing what a few days of warm weather will do. I still have another 100 or so in cups, but I think I have way too many already :roll: .

I have plenty of pics to post, but I am still having internet issues, and can only access the internet from my laptop and wifi.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm 

cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4882&fullsize=1

Plants are coming along nicely.